Cambridge Audio DAC 3 Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cambridge Audio DAC 3 Problem

Hi everyone, I have a Cambridge Audio DAC 3 that I inherited from my father-in-law along with a Discmagic 1 CD Transport. I have a problem with the phono outputs on the DAC where the audio is coming through but it isn't all there unless I apply pressure to the phono leads.

I have asked around on the high street but no one has spares for the DAC 3 so I am at a bit of a loose end. Is there anyone on here who may be able to offer their service to get the unit repaired? I doubt it even needs new parts a probably just needs a solder point re-doing but I wouldn't trust myself with it.

I live in Manchester, so as long as whoever fancies a go isn't too far I'm happy to bring it over for you to take a look at.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th June 2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is this a Cambridge Dac3 or a Dacmagic 2i (often called a 3)?

I have worked on the later versions, problem is I am a couple of hundred miles away from you! Unless you feel able to post it.

Rob.
Old 16th June 2011, 09:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Is this a Cambridge Dac3 or a Dacmagic 2i
Not sure, how do I check? The front just says DAC 3.
Old 17th June 2011, 04:43 PM   #4
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustjunky View Post
where the audio is coming through but it isn't all there unless I apply pressure to the phono leads.
Sound like a bad soldering joint (due to the mechanical stress on these leads). You don't need a schematic or spare parts to fix that. Open it up and check for a bad joint. And while you're at it, also do this inspection around the power supply (same story: regulator fixed to heat sink gets hot = mechanical stress = bad joint).
Old 17th June 2011, 05:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I'll take the lid off tomorrow and take some photos if my untrained eyes can't spot an issue.
Old 17th June 2011, 05:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi everyone, I have a Cambridge Audio DAC 3 that I inherited from my father-in-law along with a Discmagic 1 CD Transport. I have a problem with the phono outputs on the DAC where the audio is coming through but it isn't all there unless I apply pressure to the phono leads.

I have asked around on the high street but no one has spares for the DAC 3 so I am at a bit of a loose end. Is there anyone on here who may be able to offer their service to get the unit repaired? I doubt it even needs new parts a probably just needs a solder point re-doing but I wouldn't trust myself with it.

I live in Manchester, so as long as whoever fancies a go isn't too far I'm happy to bring it over for you to take a look at.

Thanks in advance.
Between 1995 and 1999 I have carried out the repair service of Cambridge Audio for the German distributor Audioconcept.
I don't understand the term "it isn't all there".
Please let me know, what exactly happen by each of both channels, if you don't press to the phono leads or sockets.

You can easy disconnect and disass'y the main PCB from the transformers and send it to me - I have still a DAC3 as sample for the aim of test and compare, because there are many users of this model in my aera.

check out post #7 about
Cambridge audio Dac 3 schematic needed
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I just plugged it all back together and when I don't press against the phono leads there is a loud buzz on both channels. If I press lightly then the buzz gets a lot less and if I press firmly I can make it sound like it should, but it takes quite a bit of pressure.

I have taken the lid of the DAC and taken some photos. I can't quite figure out how to remove the circuit board from the case as the balanced outputs seemed to be soldered at both ends so I will need to remove this solder I believe. Is this right?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 23rd June 2011, 05:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the ground connections are not making good contact. The pictures are useless as they cannot be enlarged. Use Photobucket to load them. The offer is still there if you want to send it me. I have worked on these.
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just plugged it all back together and when I don't press against the phono leads there is a loud buzz on both channels. If I press lightly then the buzz gets a lot less and if I press firmly I can make it sound like it should, but it takes quite a bit of pressure.

I have taken the lid of the DAC and taken some photos. I can't quite figure out how to remove the circuit board from the case as the balanced outputs seemed to be soldered at both ends so I will need to remove this solder I believe. Is this right?
I don't understand this term:
"phono leads".
"Phono" means in Germany the input connectors for a Phono MM/MC preamp (RIAA head amp)
Mean you the RCA (cinch) connectors for analogue line output like follow?
MONACOR INTERNATIONAL : New products
If yes, replace this part.
Before you do this, check out the function about a XLR-Cinch adapter and use your XLR connectors.
If there is the same problem, then there must be a PCB wire break. Otherwise only the RCA female print connector is the reason (internal break there).

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 23rd June 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
I don't understand this term:
"phono leads".
"Phono" means in Germany the input connectors for a Phono MM/MC preamp (RIAA head amp)
Mean you the RCA (cinch) connectors for analogue line output like follow?
MONACOR INTERNATIONAL : New products
If yes, replace this part.
Before you do this, check out the function about a XLR-Cinch adapter and use your XLR connectors.
If there is the same problem, then there must be a PCB wire break. Otherwise only the RCA female print connector is the reason (internal break there).
I think something's "got lost in translation"

Hide this!Advertise here!