Cambridge Audio DAC 3 Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I have a Cambridge Audio DAC 3 that I inherited from my father-in-law along with a Discmagic 1 CD Transport. I have a problem with the phono outputs on the DAC where the audio is coming through but it isn't all there unless I apply pressure to the phono leads.

I have asked around on the high street but no one has spares for the DAC 3 so I am at a bit of a loose end. Is there anyone on here who may be able to offer their service to get the unit repaired? I doubt it even needs new parts a probably just needs a solder point re-doing but I wouldn't trust myself with it.

I live in Manchester, so as long as whoever fancies a go isn't too far I'm happy to bring it over for you to take a look at.

Thanks in advance.

where the audio is coming through but it isn't all there unless I apply pressure to the phono leads.

Sound like a bad soldering joint (due to the mechanical stress on these leads). You don't need a schematic or spare parts to fix that. Open it up and check for a bad joint. And while you're at it, also do this inspection around the power supply (same story: regulator fixed to heat sink gets hot = mechanical stress = bad joint).

Hi everyone, I have a Cambridge Audio DAC 3 that I inherited from my father-in-law along with a Discmagic 1 CD Transport. I have a problem with the phono outputs on the DAC where the audio is coming through but it isn't all there unless I apply pressure to the phono leads.

I have asked around on the high street but no one has spares for the DAC 3 so I am at a bit of a loose end. Is there anyone on here who may be able to offer their service to get the unit repaired? I doubt it even needs new parts a probably just needs a solder point re-doing but I wouldn't trust myself with it.

I live in Manchester, so as long as whoever fancies a go isn't too far I'm happy to bring it over for you to take a look at.

Thanks in advance.

Between 1995 and 1999 I have carried out the repair service of Cambridge Audio for the German distributor Audioconcept.
I don't understand the term "it isn't all there".
Please let me know, what exactly happen by each of both channels, if you don't press to the phono leads or sockets.

You can easy disconnect and disass'y the main PCB from the transformers and send it to me - I have still a DAC3 as sample for the aim of test and compare, because there are many users of this model in my aera.

check out post #7 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/102399-cambridge-audio-dac-3-schematic-needed.html

I just plugged it all back together and when I don't press against the phono leads there is a loud buzz on both channels. If I press lightly then the buzz gets a lot less and if I press firmly I can make it sound like it should, but it takes quite a bit of pressure.

I have taken the lid of the DAC and taken some photos. I can't quite figure out how to remove the circuit board from the case as the balanced outputs seemed to be soldered at both ends so I will need to remove this solder I believe. Is this right?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just plugged it all back together and when I don't press against the phono leads there is a loud buzz on both channels. If I press lightly then the buzz gets a lot less and if I press firmly I can make it sound like it should, but it takes quite a bit of pressure.

I have taken the lid of the DAC and taken some photos. I can't quite figure out how to remove the circuit board from the case as the balanced outputs seemed to be soldered at both ends so I will need to remove this solder I believe. Is this right?

I don't understand this term:
"phono leads".
"Phono" means in Germany the input connectors for a Phono MM/MC preamp (RIAA head amp)
Mean you the RCA (cinch) connectors for analogue line output like follow?
MONACOR INTERNATIONAL : New products
If yes, replace this part.
Before you do this, check out the function about a XLR-Cinch adapter and use your XLR connectors.
If there is the same problem, then there must be a PCB wire break. Otherwise only the RCA female print connector is the reason (internal break there).

Last edited:
"phono leads".
"Phono" means in Germany the input connectors for a Phono MM/MC preamp (RIAA head amp)
Before you do this, check out the function about a XLR-Cinch adapter and use your XLR connectors.
If there is the same problem, then there must be a PCB wire break. Otherwise only the RCA female print connector is the reason (internal break there).

I think something's "got lost in translation" :D

Hi :) I believe i can be of some help.

The Links

The reason DustJunky's links didn't work is because diyaudio has a built-in "thumbnailer" that shrinks to a manageable size every image address it finds in a post. To that effect, it also appears they disabled linking urls on top of images so ImageShack forum code doesn't work properly :)

The matter on hand:

What everyone is saying is that yours is very likely to be just a matter of those connectors surviving numerous (over the years) connects-disconnects from your father-in-law (my condolences) and that mechanical work overwhelmed the points where the connectors are attached to the Circuit Board.

You could probably do the work yourself but by all means don't if you are not comfortable with it as the main trick to a proper solder is a steady, confident hand :)

If i were you i'd go to someone with even a bland electrical/electronics education in your area (a TV Repairman probably would do the trick, or someone with that kind of background).

That way, any problem can be fixed with a quick trip back to his/your place.

I'm very jealous of your unit, wish i had such a nice machine :)

To Clarify: The Jacks

Phono Jacks = RCA Jacks. Phono doesn't just limit to vynil discs turntable equipment, it's a larger term used for all the coaxial termination connectors also commonly known as RCA Jacks.
(Source: The All-Encompassing Wikipedia)

tiefbassuebertr's advice

He's suggesting to replace the whole phono/rca element (the little plastic/metal tower that holds the two connectors and that is soldered to the circuit board) with a brand new one.

This would definitely be a long-term solution because regardless of the stressed joints, those connectors are probably oxydized and maybe rusted. Cleaning the piece is an option too.

He's also suggesting to test the sound coming from the balanced outputs. You can do that by buying an XLR connector and hooking up the "+" and the Ground poles to a normal rca connector on the other side and attach it to your amplifier.

Here is a simple schematic:

XLR-RCA2.gif

Solder together ground and "-" (1 and3) and link it to the RCA ground (sleeve).
Solder "+" (2) to the active pole of the rca connector (tip).

If the music sounds ok coming from the balanced output (which is extremely likely), then you just have a mechanical problem on your hands.

To be completely honest i think this last thing with the balanced output is both overkill and mostly out of your league if you're not confident with just resoldering an already in-place big component like a RCA jack.

But if you want to be bullet-proof sure, it's a quick way to know nothing is wrong beside some mechanical stress.

Best Regards and hope this helps.

--Giulio

Here are the "fixed" links to DustJunky's pictures:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Last edited:
"phono leads".

Sorry for the confusion and image links. I have put the direct links below to teh full resolution images with some descriptions to help clarify things:

This image shows a close-up of the circuit board where it says DacMagic II Rev 1 (is this odd in a DAC 3?):
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

This image shows the back of the RCA connectors next to one of the XLR connectors. I can't quite figure out how to get the board out of the case as the XLR is soldered on the board so I may need to send the whole thing to Puffin (I'll send you a PM to get address details so I can see how much delivery would cost):

This image just shows the RCA and XLR connectors:

This image shows the whole circuit board:

Do you think it would be worth me getting hold of an XLR to RCA cable to try those connections first?

Apologies for the newbie questions and thanks for all your patience.

To elaborate on my "overkill" comment:

If you have to buy all the parts: only if you're paranoid.

If you have a spare XLR cable and some old playstation/vcr video/audio cable you don't need, you can cannibalize that for sure and it's a quick hack that could put your mind at rest for the most part. Depends on what you have lying around :)

I'd have to buy the XLR connector and that alone would be a show-stopper for me. I'd just wait to get the RCA jacks fixed.

To elaborate on my "overkill" comment:

If you have to buy all the parts: only if you're paranoid.

If you have a spare XLR cable and some old playstation/vcr video/audio cable you don't need, you can cannibalize that for sure and it's a quick hack that could put your mind at rest for the most part. Depends on what you have lying around :)

I'd have to buy the XLR connector and that alone would be a show-stopper for me. I'd just wait to get the RCA jacks fixed.

Hi Karmik, thanks for your responses. I'll look into getting the RCA jacks fixed and I'll definitely get someone else to do the soldering. I'd hate to further damage such a nice DAC.

Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.