Denon DCD 2000 AE vs Denon DCD 3000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I bought my DCD 3000 about 3 years ago and it was really big progress compared to my prtevious DCD 1015.DCD 3000 is still working fine and I do like it a great deal but nothing lasts forever given that it is already more then 15 years old and I wonder whether it is worthwile do change it to DCD 2000 AE which already have obtained lots of positive reviews.
Any ideas, recommendations ?

P.S. Recently a friend of mine bought DCD 1500 AE and my impression is that
sound of DCD 3000 is still much better...

Sorry, I forgot about that. I think it does. That's because I have two devices with Advanced AL24 Processing and is a well done system, effective on decent quality discs. Not so much on bad ones (with hard clipping/compressed).
Plus it plays SACD's. Sure, only stereo, but once you hear one SACD you will say too "yes it worth it".

Last edited:
Thank you again for your kind reply.DCD 1500 AE also plays SACDs but it feels like it plays CDs better.Plus It also has AL24 processing.Nonetheless it cannot be even compared to DCD 3000 in sound.Do you happen to know whether
DCD 2000 AE is much better then DCD 1500 AE so that I do not loose in sound quality if I upgrade my DCD 3000? It would be fare to expect that as DCD 2000 AE is 2.5 times more expensive but it does not always works like that.

Last edited:
It might be a matter of personal prefference... I didn't hear the DCD2000, I just know that SACD blows CD out of water and that AL24 does a nice job.

Now... your DCD3000 is one of those "old school" that has a dedicated chip for digital filtering/ oversampling. And the 1500 has DAC's that incorporates that 8x filter in the same capsule. You might like better the job done by the Yamaha filter - I did hear them in other players and they are good. There are way better the the other Philips or Sony stand-alone filters.
Also it has four of the best resistor-ladder type of DAC's, something that other models don't have. Some people like the sound of those type of DAC's better for CD reproduction.
Obvious, for SACD the other kind of DAC makes more sense since the DSD signal is delta sigma recorded...

Thank you very much again for your kind reply.
As for my personal preferences...
Well, I started with LPs then switched to CDs and I tried lots of different
CD players before I heard Denon DCD 1015 which reproduced CDs pretty much as LPs.When switched to DCD 3000 I was even more pleased as it gave me much more overall quality in sound still reproducing CDs pretty much as LPs so that in that stage there was no point to keep LPs at all and I eventually got rid of them completely (and exchanged them to CDs).
Right now I am pretty sure I will still be listening mostly CDs as many musical
albums are either not available on SACD or are much more exspensive while
I am quite OK with CD quality (played by DCD 3000).
When I was listening DCD 1500 AE I was feeling like got back my DCD 1015.
It (DCD 1500 AE) still plays CDs pretty much as LPs but quality of DCD 3000 is much better.
Sorry, I am not very familiar with all the technical details standing behind,
I just wonder whether I will loose or gain in quality of CD sound if I switch to
DCD 2000AE
Has anybody happen listened to both DCD 3000 and DCD 2000AE?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.