Commercial SD or USB wav player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am looking for a suitable wav player to steam out digital signals. I am presently using a media player (ACRyan) but it has its bugs, like you can't skip forward or back or use numeric keypad to choose your trac etc.

I am presently considering QLS hifi QA550. Which looks to be great. The drawback is it only fits one SD card. Little bit challenging if you are trying to use it as a juke box. Allowing USB usage would also be a boon.

I considered the Aune but it is a bit too expensive at $300 for my taste.

I wonder if there are other commercial players available that does this job?

Thanking all in advance.

Oon

You've basically found what's out there, I'm pretty sure.

I've got a QLS 350 (has the DAC built in) and an Aune Mini Ape Player. Both sound great, but you're right, being limited to SD cards is a pain if you've got a lot of music. Interface leaves a lot to be desired on both, but they're workable. The Aune will shuffle play, which is nice.

Media players like the WD Mini or WDTV are workable, but you need a separate DAC, as the internal one is not very good, and of course, you need to hook it up to a monitor. Once you start adding it all up, the Aune seems like a pretty good deal. BTW, they're supposed to be coming out with another model soon that looks like it might have a better interface.

--Buckapound

What about the Velleman Mp3 player. Takes a SD and has a screen showing info. Or you could take a different route and search ebay for a nice used touch screen MP3 that you could take apart or whatever and mount into whatever you have? One of the Creative X-fi's or a some of the Philips ones as the screen stays horizontal.

Some unofficial specs on the Big Ape pasted from another forum report;

Specification :

1. Support 192K /24bit

2. support APE ( C1000,C2000 ,C3000 ) , FlAC ( level 0-lecel 6) , TTA , WAV , MP3 , CUE

3. high quality digital record

4. support WIFI and website , it can software upgrade

5. can support moving IDE, USB ,SD card port

6. can change from different HDD, change from different format

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the ape. The only thing I don't like about it is the price tag. The first one at $300 bucks. I think the second one is going to be even more. The qls is a bit over a hunderd, so... and it has remote control....

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Well, if you want to play off a hard drive, you're going to have to pay more. Aune will handle different file types.QLS only will play WAVs.

It does come with a remote--in fact it will only play using the remote (unless you only want to play one song at a time).

I think in a couple of years, there will be a lot more choices.

--Buckapound

Thanks for the heads up.:) I am presently playing off thumbdrives. I just feel that the data will be a bit better, with less chances of bad sectors etc since it has no moving parts.. a 32GB thumb drive = 50 CDs, so the cost is not too bad....

Oon

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am actually looking for a wav player.
MP3 is just too lossy (psyhcologically for me) even if I can't hear it ;)

Oon

Hi,

Some "MP3" players will playback all sorts of files.
A lot of them include wav voice recorders.
My MP3 will playback WAV and FLAC lossless files.
(Though I use it with VBR WMA for most stuff.)

rgds, sreten.

Not all that much new in this area, surprisingly.

The Aune Mini-Ape turned out to be massively buggy, requiring periodic reinstalling of the firmware. The bigger Aune SI works pretty well, especially using SSDs through an eSata cable. It also plays SD cards. Sound is very nice.

There are a number of chunky portable players from companies like Little Dot, but most are quite expensive and are not demonstrably better than the QLS as far as I can tell, and there is very little information or reviews on them.

The other directions seems to be small, low-power computers like the Raspberry Pi or so called "plug" computers, but these seem to be evolving slowly into something like a WAV-playing appliance.

Given the sonic possibilities, I would think there would be more companies and DIY hobbyists jumping on this. Maybe all the action is with the computer guys, since it takes that to play files off a hard drive or SSD rather than just SD cards. I'm currently using my Oppo BDP-95 as a music server, but it's a little clunky in its file handling, especially with the time it takes to re-scan a terabyte of files every time I turn it on. Sounds great, though.

--Buckapound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.