Commercial SD or USB wav player. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2011, 12:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

This is the one I was talking about (scroll down to the new Mini Ape):

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp

Very nice styling. No real info about the unit there, however.
Old 9th June 2011, 01:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the ape. The only thing I don't like about it is the price tag. The first one at $300 bucks. I think the second one is going to be even more. The qls is a bit over a hunderd, so... and it has remote control....

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
Old 9th June 2011, 01:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well, if you want to play off a hard drive, you're going to have to pay more. Aune will handle different file types.QLS only will play WAVs.

It does come with a remote--in fact it will only play using the remote (unless you only want to play one song at a time).

I think in a couple of years, there will be a lot more choices.

--Buckapound
Old 10th June 2011, 01:13 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckapound View Post
Well, if you want to play off a hard drive, you're going to have to pay more. Aune will handle different file types.QLS only will play WAVs.

It does come with a remote--in fact it will only play using the remote (unless you only want to play one song at a time).

I think in a couple of years, there will be a lot more choices.

--Buckapound
Thanks for the heads up. I am presently playing off thumbdrives. I just feel that the data will be a bit better, with less chances of bad sectors etc since it has no moving parts.. a 32GB thumb drive = 50 CDs, so the cost is not too bad....

Oon
Old 12th November 2012, 02:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Anything new regarding this ?

I'm also looking for a high quality (affordable !) WAV player from USB / SD card sources.
What's out there ?

I've found the altmann tera-player but it's too expensive at 800
Old 12th November 2012, 04:14 PM   #16
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am actually looking for a wav player.
MP3 is just too lossy (psyhcologically for me) even if I can't hear it

Oon
Hi,

Some "MP3" players will playback all sorts of files.
A lot of them include wav voice recorders.
My MP3 will playback WAV and FLAC lossless files.
(Though I use it with VBR WMA for most stuff.)

rgds, sreten.
Old 12th November 2012, 04:38 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Not all that much new in this area, surprisingly.

The Aune Mini-Ape turned out to be massively buggy, requiring periodic reinstalling of the firmware. The bigger Aune SI works pretty well, especially using SSDs through an eSata cable. It also plays SD cards. Sound is very nice.

There are a number of chunky portable players from companies like Little Dot, but most are quite expensive and are not demonstrably better than the QLS as far as I can tell, and there is very little information or reviews on them.

The other directions seems to be small, low-power computers like the Raspberry Pi or so called "plug" computers, but these seem to be evolving slowly into something like a WAV-playing appliance.

Given the sonic possibilities, I would think there would be more companies and DIY hobbyists jumping on this. Maybe all the action is with the computer guys, since it takes that to play files off a hard drive or SSD rather than just SD cards. I'm currently using my Oppo BDP-95 as a music server, but it's a little clunky in its file handling, especially with the time it takes to re-scan a terabyte of files every time I turn it on. Sounds great, though.

--Buckapound
Old 14th November 2012, 02:07 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

cocktailAudio

You can look into this. It has built in CD player that will rip your CD straight to the harddisk.

Will also display the songs etc on the small screen. Comes with a decent DAC and a built in amp. Have yet to try the amp though..

Oon

Hide this!Advertise here!