Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, I have done and also finished my Oppo 95 with double-SAW.

I have also tried the Crystek - now there are three of us that have done the Crystek vs SAW comparison... and the winner is....

Not so quick.

Well, the SAW actually.

I have set it up it right now that I can compare the two easily and I will be able to do the comparison for other people in the room over the near future, and get more feedback.
................................................................................

Cheers, Joe

I only agree with you (I have the same opinion) that SAW oscillator give a more precise/accurate sound. More than an Crystek, I mean.
I still want (waiting for) to hear from someone who used an SAW saying that it were bad experience...

But Joe, it may be in place 3 SAWs... For DAC, 25Mhz, 27Mhz (54/2). I`m excited to see what it may happen with an 27Mhz in the right place...

capacitors OPPO 95

3,3v powered oscillators.
HELLO CORIS.
I want to modify the output stage IN OPPO 95.
I would change the electrolytic capacitors, to improve the audio output may replacement.Jantzen Z CAPACITORS SILVER, 3.3 UF.
I read that you suggests many tantalum capacitors.

you can help me??? excuse my bad English, I speak Spanish.

BR
JULIO
ARGENTINA

oppo 95 out capacitors

Hello,
Someone will drive improved the audio and video playback in the OPPO 93.
If so how?

Hi Samy.
I have understood that shorting the capacitors in the output stage there is an improvement, as you run a curtain of impairment.
I do not make any changes, do not quite understand this.
Some argue that just have to be shorted and other metal capacitors should be placed 3 to 4 MF, Jantzen type audio, Mundorf, etc..
always on the output stage.
When you can expand a little more information I will perform the test and post the results.
br
Julio

Joined 2009
Paid Member
HELLO CORIS.
I want to modify the output stage IN OPPO 95.
I would change the electrolytic capacitors, to improve the audio output may replacement.Jantzen Z CAPACITORS SILVER, 3.3 UF.
I read that you suggests many tantalum capacitors.

you can help me??? excuse my bad English, I speak Spanish.

BR
JULIO
ARGENTINA

Hi Julio
You may know that the 95 model it not have caps on outputs (is DC coupled).
About many tantalum caps, those are used to decouple power rails for some chips involved in signal processing.

I want to switch off the audio-board in OPPO-95.
Because without fun Oppo gets hot after 1-2 hours of using.
Clued some 478 socket radiator (of course), drilled more holes in the bottom but it's not enough.

I use OPPO mainly as a transport, so I want to switch off the Rotel trafo with 110/220v switch on the rear panel.

But what to do with emulating signal (OVP-TEST)?
I tried OPPO without upper board, and it played CDs normally, but I'm not sure in full functionality (BR etc).

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I want to switch off the audio-board in OPPO-95.
Because without fun Oppo gets hot after 1-2 hours of using.
Clued some 478 socket radiator (of course), drilled more holes in the bottom but it's not enough.

I use OPPO mainly as a transport, so I want to switch off the Rotel trafo with 110/220v switch on the rear panel.

But what to do with emulating signal (OVP-TEST)?
I tried OPPO without upper board, and it played CDs normally, but I'm not sure in full functionality (BR etc).

I think is not easy to just remove the analogue power supply, or cut it off. OVP-TEST is possible to be simulate it with the same tension value out from a potentiometer. If I remember well this signal should give information about over voltage in power supply, or if is missing, the player will not start.
Oppo 95 should have a forced ventilation, as it is quite much generated heat inside. If you supplement the heatsinks there is not much help. It get cooler maybe that targeted component, but the heat it still be inside the enclosure. Something it may bring out that heat. A fan... If you use an speed regulator for computer fans, it may help quite much to decrease/eliminate the noise from that fan. The same if you use a low noise fan.
There are parts of that analogue PSU rails which are used to power the DACs and its oscillators. If the oscillator it not work, the player will not boot up...
It may help to replace that Rotel transformer with another one having lower tensions on its output. So the difference between power delivered from trafo and the needed regulated tensions/power, decrease enough to not generate so much heat. I did like this actually with good results. That trafo deliver 22vAC, and the needed regulated tension is +/-12v or so...
If you are so decided to not use the player, but only the transport in it, you may lower the analogue power quite much. Is not so important in such case if the regulated tensions are not well regulated... to be used on the opams, but it may be good enough to generate with it a good regulation for the lower tensions (3,3v, 1,8v, 1,2v and so on). The power for such low power rails it come from that mainly 22vAC from the trafo... Quite stupid design!
So you can replace the Rotel trafo with one which deliver f. ex. 9-10vAC. You will have then approx 14vDC on regulators, which maybe will not be enough to get a good regulated +/- 12v power out of the analogue PSU, but will not cause dissipation on regulators. Such low AC voltage is good enough to get the lower tensions very well regulated to have an working player. I hope I was enough clear to make me understood...
You may measure carefully and take the right decisions, before proceed to such mod. But it may be a good solution at last to get rid of that heat and having well working (only) transport...
To be honest, my opinion is that you have done wrong choice investing in 95 to use it only for its transport. I could be much better and much cheaper to buy an 93. They have similar transports, but big difference in audio stage, and power supplies... and heat dissipation.

Last edited:
Yes it is! Better quality and more capacity on 5v is good. On analogue one, more µF is worth too...

Ta Coris
Will fit the biggest I can.quite a bit of room under the pcb as well.Thinking of going analogue power supply in the future.Found an R core transformer from a Sony Minidisc player with 15-0-15v,8-0-8v and 4.5-0-4.5v
Hopefully if it ran a mini disc player it should have enough current for a blue ray player.can't find any specs on it though
Smiffy

Replaced the two 220uf for the +5 digital line with 470uf oscons.havent watched a blue ray yet but a marginal increase in sound quality(Slightly cleaner highs and seemingly more power in bass)
Have checked the psu pcb and would appear CE8 does -15v and CE12 does +15v with ground on the connector in the middle.
Somewhat confused over CE5.Would appear it goes to an unused pin on the digial video power supply connector and to the +5v digital supply ground via a 10K resistor.
As I am nowhere near an electronics expert any ideas anyone?
Ta for any help
Will do the +-15v with black gates.Space is a bit limited though
Smiffy

Joined 2009
Paid Member
On Oppo 95/105 the switching PSU deliver +5v out. The rest of the tensions it were used in 93/103 type of players, but not in these with analogue PSU. Mainly is +5V you should pay attention if you have 105 model. Right decoupling/filtering on +5v should improve enough both picture and sound. Specially picture stage is very sensitive to the noises coming on power rails... Removing these noises is very noticeable in a more clear/detailed picture. The sound it will be specially improved by other means, but a clean +5v is quite important.

Ho Coris
I have the 93.
I have replaced CE6 and CE19 with 470uf sanyo oscon but am looking for 1000uf as it occurs I can use 10v instead of 16v.That way I may be able to mount two underneath the pcb giving me 2000uf on each line instead of 220uf
16v capacitors on the analogue I think is pushing my luck a bit so will try and find 25v.
Ta for the help
Smiffy