Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2011, 01:38 PM   #31
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akltam View Post
Do you honestly think they don't know what you know ? When you have to bring in cost, margin, profit, marketing ... etc. and all other factors outside the DIY arena ...
Yes, you may right... But I just think that a respectable company should fix themselves the problems before lunch their product.... It is very possible that they come out with a new/better version of this player for another price...
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:13 PM   #32
akltam is offline akltam  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi, Coris,

For the BDP95, does the power supply of the output op-amp (including those used for multi-channel) comes from the same regulators ? Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2011, 04:06 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi, Coris,

For the BDP95, does the power supply of the output op-amp (including those used for multi-channel) comes from the same regulators ? Thanks.
This is the picture of the (unmodified) audio board of the BDP95.
The output stage/op amps are feed it from +/-15v, directly from the main serial power supply. See the picture for more details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0332b.jpg (886.4 KB, 865 views)
Old 22nd August 2011, 04:29 PM   #34
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Guys let's keep the focus on the Oppo models listed in the thread title.
Old 22nd August 2011, 04:31 PM   #35
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Do you honestly think they don't know what you know ? When you have to bring in cost, margin, profit, marketing ... etc. and all other factors outside the DIY arena ...
Don't be so sure they do.. I have plenty of experience in the commercial design arena (audio and elsewhere) and have seen plenty of questionable design and flat out errors in commercial products..
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:44 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
This is the picture of the (unmodified) audio board of the BDP95.
The output stage/op amps are feed it from +/-15v, directly from the main serial power supply. See the picture for more details.
Coris,

It is not good for this 9018 DAC. The same power supply feeding the regulators for the digital portion (while it is not further regulated before supplying the analog op-amp)

Since you have added separate regulators and an upgraded crystal, have you gave it a separate power supply (or will you consider adding) for the IV and output opamp ?

Just interested to know.

Last edited by akltam; 23rd August 2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:54 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Don't be so sure they do.. I have plenty of experience in the commercial design arena (audio and elsewhere) and have seen plenty of questionable design and flat out errors in commercial products..
I guess many times, people take it for granted things will turn out OK. I always hope that OPPO can implement this 9018 like those guys in twisted pair audio.

In any case, it will not be bad for OPPO to look at what Coris has done. i.e. a great DAC needs great power supply.
Old 23rd August 2011, 01:29 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Coris,

It is not good for this 9018 DAC. The same power supply feeding the regulators for the digital portion (while it is not further regulated before supplying the analog op-amp)

Since you have added separate regulators and an upgraded crystal, have you gave it a separate power supply (or will you consider adding) for the IV and output opamp ?

Just interested to know.
I like to have separate power supplies for the I/V stage, final stage, and oscillator. I didn`t succeed to complete yet this task... Anyway, I have now a dedicated power supply (regulator) for the new oscillator. It is an high precision, ultra low noise chip regulator, which does very well the job. I`ve used an separate oscillator for the other one ESS9018 (multich.). The original design of the player (the processor) has a condition as both these DAC chip should have clock signal. It is originally an common clock for both. If multich. DAc have no clock on it, the whole player do not boot up completely.
I`ve chose to have separate clocks for DACs because the distance between DACs are very big. It is not safe at all to transport 80 (100)Mhz 3,3vpp clock between such long traces. So, I mounted each clock very near for each DAC. But I`m focus on the stereo stage at this moment. I don`t think is very important that these two DACs are synchronised, as they are in use each in one in time. Anyway, it is work very well in this way.
I`ve used an ultra high precision/low noise (variable) voltage reference for the I/V (stereo) stage. In this way is possible to control the output offset for the final op amps. I have now on RCA out an +/-0,1mV offset on both channels.
In time I want to have a dedicated (shunt) regulator for every stage. Specially for the DAC.
Is very right, the power supplies are very important to have the best out of a such hi end DAC as ESS9018.
It is really stupid to use a high/ultimate quality DAC and feed the stages which process the DAC output signal with lower quality power...

Last edited by Coris; 23rd August 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 24th August 2011, 02:39 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default some clarification about the 95 power supplies

Let me explain very clearly how the stock 95 power supplies are: First there is unregulated plus and minus 21 volts (would have been nicer to configure the tranny for about plus and minus 18.5...for heat sake). On the separate power supply board there are three preregulators. A plus and minus 15 and a plus 9.74. All done with 317 and 337 regs. The power then goes to the output board where the plus and minus 15 go through another set of regs to make plus and minus 10 for the opamps (317 and 337 again). The plus 15 volt also feeds the two 3.3V regs for the analog part of each DAC. These regs are super reg types....that is, they use an opamp and a discrete pass device.....they are not monolythic regs. This is well thought out for a $1000 thang. The 9.7 Volt supply feeds all the "digital" supplies....the 1.2v and the 3.3v regs. The analog 3.3 Volt supply does feed the 54 meg oscillator (this should have been another reg for sure). Oppo is probably feeding the 3.3V analog supply off the plus 15 volt supply to keep it from seeing the noise on the digital supplies.
There are 3 preregs and 10 regulators on the output board. This is pretty darn serious for a $1000 unit that smokes most $3000 thangs out there. Yes, you can use more and better supplies and also up the frequency on the clock....but this is one hell of a nice machine for $1000.....in fact, its incredible what they give you. But of course, we are perfectionistic tweakers so we will do whatever we can to improve it. However, what Oppo did is pretty darn nice.
Old 24th August 2011, 02:40 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

I think the stock design of this player is a classic case of the accounting people in the company putting pressure on the engineering staff(at least I hope their engineers are not as incompetent as the design implies). The accountants no doubt say "will the average person hear the difference?", when demanding yet another corner be cut. The details you've uncovered about the design are just shocking, and I think completely inexcusable.

Hide this!Advertise here!