Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95 - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 08:46 AM   #321
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Have to admit I don't like gear with PE/Safety Earth connected and (while not being hindered by any knowledge of the Oppo devices) I can tell that 99% of switched PSU's need PE for getting rid of RF/EMI.
You pointed right!
I feel the need to precise a little bit more about this subject, and about my earlier advice to keep grounding in place on Oppo device.
My self I do not want to ground (in the wall) if is about an system which it use transformers, and are isolated from main power. I will ground only the transformer`s shield (I prefer use a such transformers with shield in between coils).
When about devices which has switching PSUs, then one may ground it. The switching PSUs are designed so, that it uses GND for internal filters, protection, and to minimise the EMI emissions. And those type PSUs are very noisy, as known...
Oppo players have such switching PSUs inside. Then all the connected system to this player will be grounded in the wall through it. In do not see something wrong in this. One may take in to account this detail (grounded player) when is to put together an audio system.
The right mod in this case is to throw away that switching PSU in the player and use an better/isolated (transformer) one. Then you may not need at all the wall GND. In this way one may improve the sound, but not just cutting out the GND wire in the power cord.
Else sound improvements are just huge in this case, doing the (many other) right mods, not just this about not grounding this type of player...

Last edited by Coris; 5th February 2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 5th February 2013, 12:38 PM   #322
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Actually SMPS's dont need a protective earth for RF/emi, all these hings are controlled by good layout practice. There are numerous double inslated and battery operated equipement where there is no PE and the SMPSs are quiet (I include milirary/earospace designs in this where any interference could be deadly). The PE does not sink noise and quite often adds to the noise problem, so double insulated components can be much quieter though then the whole system realy requires ALL double insyulated components are used.
Old 5th February 2013, 01:26 PM   #323
diyAudio Member

We are in this case in the consumer products world, and the device here is an Oppo player... which it have to have power from the wall...
Old 5th February 2013, 02:23 PM   #324
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Double insulated consumer products have SMPS's in them, and no PE (protective earth) connection. Just adding a bit of real world reality in that PE is there to protect and nothing much else, apart from to probably add noise.
Usually a double insulated product will have an IEC C7 (figure of 8) whereas one with procective earth will have a kettle lead (IEC C13).
The point I was trying to make was that PE does not reduce noise or provide a sink for SMPS (or linear PSU) noise.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:31 PM   #325
diyAudio Member

Hi All

Seems weird that pics of the American Oppo 93 has no earth connection yet the uk one has an earth connection.

Ps has anyone changed the op amps in the 93?Any good results?or comments?

Smiffy
Old 8th February 2013, 08:58 PM   #326
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Different regulations.

The American "love" the fact that they are less regulated than the rest of us. Too bad if it kills a few Americans - Americans often sacrifice their own.

Erh... hope that doesn't get taken the wrong way?
Old 8th February 2013, 10:18 PM   #327
diyAudio Member

Now is done for 95: clocks, processor 25Mhz and 125Mhz DAC, are powered direct from batteries (each of 1,6A/h). Simple battery managing by relays and an simple too charging system (TP4056) is also in place. When player is off, the batteries are in charging mode. The switching PSU of the player is always on for 5v. Exactly what is need it to charge my batteries.
The 125Mhz SAW oscillator for ESS9018 it take 30mA. I have run it this oscillator on battery since it were full charged (4,2v) and until the oscillator it stopped itself because to low power (approx 3,6v). No any modification in the quality of the sound out of the player!
It seems that this oscillator have an internal regulation system for its power. Even though this quite big variation for tension at its power pin (3,55v - 2,9v), I couldn't notice any change in the high quality of the sound. I used the player an normal number of hours ON, for more than a week without charging the battery.
Charging the battery regularly, when player off, it maintain the battery voltage variation for normal use in between 0.2v.
This system it works very fine and the oscillator it support well the power variations in those limits (specified also in data sheet).
The another oscillator for processor it use 6mA, and so, its power variation is more near to an almost constant level delivered by battery. Absolute no any problem too, with this 25Mhz oscillator, because the battery tension variation...
Those facts make me think that is not so important the very constant level of the power/tension when is used an voltage regulator to power such oscillators, but how much "quiet" it may be that regulator. Anyway, the battery is the most "quiet"...
What can I say about the sound and the picture out of this player after this modification? The picture is just amazing clean and detailed. The video/film too. The huge improvement in sound is not very easy for me to describe. I plaid a piece of jazz where it used some bells/percussion. I wondered why I hear this "instrument" somewhere up in between the speakers... I just realized that such instrument is placed on a kind of support and its tubes/bells are quite higher from the floor... I was very surprised to get such realism in the sound stage.
I have listen 95 modified as described, after a quite long period of listening to 105 model unmodified (out of the box). The "distance" in quality of those two players is like 105 it were a cheap radio receiver comparing with my modified 95...

Now it may be the right time for 105 to get some "lifting operations"...
Old 9th February 2013, 09:08 AM   #328
diyAudio Member

And how it looks at least...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130208_191644b.jpg (444.8 KB, 185 views)
Old 21st February 2013, 01:37 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

hi folks

i want to change the 3 clocks in my oppo 93 and im not sure which clock output level is needed 3 or 5volt?

thanks a lot
faris
Old 21st February 2013, 04:27 PM   #330
diyAudio Member

3,3v powered oscillators.

Hide this!Advertise here!