Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95 - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2012, 05:40 PM   #281
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

ahh, but you mentioned some circuitry first, not me... and I just know that in lion and lipo not always hugely higher power, but somewhat higher, they have to have these limiters BY LAW to sell them. small batteries if lipo still have easily enough explosive power to do serious damage, but I was indeed thinking of higher power batteries than phone, some are still quite small.

but it really doesnt matter a great deal, even without them, as I mentioned lipo are actually quite noisy and a 3.7v battery, will not be a 3.7v battery, it will charge to 4.2v 3.7v is a nominal voltage, silly voltages for digital when you can buy 3.3v batteries that charge to 3.6

Last edited by qusp; 19th November 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 06:20 PM   #282
diyAudio Member

polyswitches, your battery, even for internal use, must have one along with an external circuit in the device relies on the device still being functional to stop the battery having thermal runaway. the below is from polk audio on removing polyswitches in their speakers, so added to the higher levels of lipo noise already, you have this

Quote:
While the attenuation properties of the polyswitch are relatively insignificant, the noise characteristics of the devices are considerable and audible...even when they are brand new. After a polyswitch is tripped the first time, the resistance increases from 52% to 83%. The noise from the "burned" polyswitches also greatly increases. [Quantifying the signal damage done by new and tripped polyswitches would be a good project for an interested meter pontiff.] Removing the polyswitches removes a tiny bit of attenuation, but removes a significant amount of noise. When noise is lowered, the signal becomes apparently louder although the amplitude (level) of the signal remains the same. It is analogous to cleaning a dirty window.
or it may have a solid state switch, which would again not be designed for low noise.

from the battery university and mind you even more regulations have been enacted since they updated these pages...

Making Lithium-ion Safe

Quote:
Battery packs for laptops and other portable devices contain many levels of protection to assure safety under (almost) all circumstances when in the hands of the public. The safety begins with the battery cell, which includes: [1] a built-in temperature switch called PTC that protects against high current surges, [2] a circuit interrupt device (CID) that opens the electrical path if an over-charge raises the internal cell pressure to 1000 kPa (145psi), and [3]a safety vent that releases gas in the event of a rapid increase in cell pressure.
since then they will also include a low voltage cutoff in the pack, but this can also be in the phone
Old 19th November 2012, 07:15 PM   #283
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yes, I did mentioned about some circuitry inside battery. I was not very sure at that moment. Now I`m a little bit more sure about...

I agree that in this case of using battery to power clock oscillators it may be improvements, and one may research a little bit more to find the best way.

Something is very sure (for me who have done this experiment): using the phone battery so how it is, the improvement is obviously.
To be honest, I have to say that may first plan were to connect that battery before the low noise regulator. But suddenly I decided to eliminate the regulator completely, and use only the battery. The phone battery I had, was perfect for this project (it fits very well inside). So, I just done it like this. In my opinion the improvement were huge at once. After this I had not so much time to research more about, but listen my records from this improved player now is just delightful... and it take quite much time...

I did not recharged my batteries so far. One may test how is the tension level just after recharge. If will be necessary a regulator, I will not be very happy. But is a way to go, I think... One may take anyway a closer look in this field... I think to do it so afterwords.
Old 19th November 2012, 08:17 PM   #284
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
Connor-Winfields you may find at Digikey (UK dept. maybe...) They have lot of such. There is a "problem" with those Connor-Winfields oscillators: ones with very low jitter (0,2 - 1 ps) ...
That figure is followed by a:

4. BW = 12 KHz to 20 MHz.

Most music is under 12khz... but -80 dbc/hz at fs+10 hz is not bad...

/
Old 19th November 2012, 08:24 PM   #285
diyAudio Member

I bought this (25Mhz) one here, and is oscillating very well in my player :
Crystals and Oscillators | Oscillators | DigiKey

If you think is not good for you, you may chose another one... This one is anyway much, much better than that original one....

Last edited by Coris; 19th November 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:09 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

By the way, this infos here is for those who has no clue about this BDP95 player:
The 25Mhz oscillator is meant to clock the main processor in the machine. From this processor it not may come out any "music"... but I2S digital lines which are decoded in the DAC... From that DAC it come the music out.... The DAC have its own oscillator... Quite complicated process!
Old 21st November 2012, 06:33 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I bought this (25Mhz) one here, and is oscillating very well in my player :
Crystals and Oscillators | Oscillators | DigiKey

If you think is not good for you, you may chose another one... This one is anyway much, much better than that original one....
Thanks Coris
Just trying to make bigger order as expensive postage with small order
Will get 27MHz for DVD player as well.
Was looking into possible improvements in the Hd Dvd player but cannot get a schematic.The only crystal I can find that is familiar is a 24.576MHz which I think is audio associated.The rest resembles a motherboard.
Smiffy
Old 26th November 2012, 07:42 AM   #288
jbxsamy is offline jbxsamy  France
diyAudio Member

Hello Coris,
I have a problem on my OPPO93 and I need help.
I instaled the map of OCXO Jaehong Lee.
25.000MHz clock change turns 1h ok
20.000MHz clock change turns 1h ok
Change the clock 27.000MHZ OPPO is ALUME but no display.
It cuts the power, connection vérilerles different water and touching the ground between the motherboard and the card NuForce analog smoke came out of the motherboard at the water supply between the supply line and the map mother.
A protection component of a drop.
For the OPPO does ALUME more since even changing the power supply board.
Would you have any idea what component could have let go?
Sincerely Johann.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:24 AM   #289
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
The new Oppo model (BDP105) is even worse in the analogue stage, but even better in the digital one... Is quite strange that they have two design developing teams which are so opposite different in thinking, implementing and results.
But anyway, the modders may have some jobs too. Right?
I never use opamps and I only use what is good about the '95 - and I have heard nothing that touches it, IF you get everything right.

I pull the outputs of the ES9108 to ground, that exchanges the voltage offset to 8.5mA current offset. The current is dumped into a few Ohm to ground and using a Diamond Transistor circuit based on the JLTi Phono Stage, but sans the RIAA EQ, up to 2,25V RMS - exactly the same as before.
No negative feeedback, DC coupled (no caps in the signal path), massive bandwidth and huge headroom at VHF - a must for an I/V converter - totally immune to slew rate induced distortion, which people like Charlie Hansen (Ayre) says causes digital sound - a kind of greyness and lack of tonal colours - and that only when it's not to bad and unlistenable when worse.

For powering the clocks I use the Terra Firma - a power supply that is tuned down to below 5 millionth of a Hertz... Batteries? They are not even close.

The Oppo 95 is totally transformed.

I know the rep for the company that brings in the Oppo down here, and they sell MUCH more expensive gear - he has heard it and quite astonished: "Some people will always buy expensive gear, but if the are into sound they should get one a '95 and take it to you."

It is that sublimely good.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:16 AM   #290
diyAudio Member

thankyou for your advertisement, back to our regularly scheduled program

Hide this!Advertise here!