Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2011, 11:29 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Those are switching mode PS, they have better efficiency when fed from higher voltage. There is no problem feeding those from 15V. Also the "ripple" that you are talking about is in the kHz range so those capacitors are just fine. Those voltages fed digital parts of the circuitry that have anyway a HUGE immunity to any "ripples".
Long traces are found in any devices and the plain and simple "fix" are the capacitors placed close to the IC power pins. Eventual some ferrite beads.
Long traces for 54MHz clock? I somehow doubt that the 54MHz clock goes too far... maybe you are missing a divider there.
Then... you "dont care" about other clocks. The 27MHz clock that you was talking that is a "secret" has no influence on final audio quality.

I just was bothered by the attitude (that I see often here) - that the engineers that design the audio-video equipment are some morons and/or it is some conspiration to make their products "bad" on purpose.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 14th August 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 15th August 2011, 01:18 PM   #12
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Sorry Mister... I can understand now that you have no much clue about what this discussion is about... You are not yet known with that Oppo BDP95 player is using an serial/analogue power supply for the audio board/stage. This is the second power supply in this player. There is another switching power supply witch is used to feed the digital part of the player (main digital board, processors, etc). I am talking about the serial power supply of the BDP95.
As you have doubts about this 54Mhz clock exist in this player, this mean that you never have seen a such player... Inside too. You have to know that ESS9018 (witch this player is based on in audio processing) it can be clocked by 54Mhz, 80Mhz or even 100Mhz. This clock is feed it directly to this chip. DSD signals witch this chip can process it is about samplings frequencies as hi as 2,5 Mhz or 5Mhz... If you didn`t knew about before, you find out now....
Else I`m not talking about some "conspiracies" here. This subject has nothing to do with my comments. There is surprisingly enough for me that Oppo`s engineers has create a such bad and unprofessional power supply for a such hi end product.
But anyway, this is my last answer to you. I`m not intend to waste more time in a conversation with somebody who do not know what about in this subject.
Sorry, but you have to update your knowledge before get inn a forum discussion like this....
Old 15th August 2011, 07:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post

I just was bothered by the attitude (that I see often here) - that the engineers that design the audio-video equipment are some morons and/or it is some conspiration to make their products "bad" on purpose.
I tend to agree with your sentiment.
There are clearly some members who are so expert that they are qualified to criticise professional audio engineers.
I just wonder why these people are not making a lot of money as audio electronics engineers themselves if they know better...
Old 15th August 2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

This thread is going nowhere. Just a big b---- session.
It should be reaped and started over.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:43 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
As you have doubts about this 54Mhz clock exist in this player, this mean that you never have seen a such player...
No. That means that you don't read what others are typing, that's all. I doubt the existance of long traces:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
Long traces for 54MHz clock? I somehow doubt that the 54MHz clock goes too far
Anyway, succes fixing that "failure of engineering" from Oppo (your words).

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 16th August 2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 16th August 2011, 05:56 AM   #16
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

pretty much any high quality linear reg these days will take 1.2->20v with only using the pcb for heatsinking, without even flinching. the difference in noise is minimal.

also you are mistaken about the max speed of the internal clock used for async
Old 16th August 2011, 06:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
pretty much any high quality linear reg these days will take 1.2->20v with only using the pcb for heatsinking, without even flinching. the difference in noise is minimal.

also you are mistaken about the max speed of the internal clock used for async

OK.Maybe you right about those high quality regulators... Anyway, I do not thing is a big deal to waste a such tension difference only for produce heat inside the box... And use a fan for take that heat out... They can well run cold with a 7vDC on their input pin.

What could be the mistake about those async clocks? Can you explain (shortly) please? ESS9018 can well run with those mentioned above clocks... How this clock is processed inside the DAC chip, is not so much informations out there... BSDP95 has a 54Mhz oscillator on the DACs board, and his output goes directly in to the DAC chip...
Old 16th August 2011, 09:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

A big step forward today in BDP95 modification!
I just replaced the original DACs clock (54Mhz) with an 80Mhz one. The result is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Just fantastic!!!
The easiest mod with the highest impact on the audio stage in this BDP95!
Why Oppo din`t tried this before lunch this player? A mystery... They have too smart engineers to experiment with such simple things and design it accordingly... But is quite positive that many people (and members here) trust at max level the design engineer`s job in the big companies...
Anyway, it looks like this player have enough potential, and with the right mods in the right places it could be 10 time better (10x HiFi) than it is as it come out from the Oppo`s factory...

But let`s focus more on the job than on the other aspects in this case/thread.
For those who want try themselves (DIY...) this simple modification, I have some advices:
Do not de-solder the original oscillator from the board. Isolate it from the rest. Its output goes to the two ESS9018 chips through an 0 ohm resistor. Remove this one. Cut the trace of the 3,3v for the original oscillator. Use this set up of the board for place & connect in the new oscillator (somewhere near to the old one). The both ESS chips have to be connected to the oscillator. Else the player will not boot up completely. Place an 10F SMD ceramic capacitor near to the power pin of the new oscillator. Place a ferrite bead (best 1k/0,3 ohm) between the power pin of the oscillator and its 3,3v power supply. Be aware that the ESS9018 need for current will increase (as it works now on higher frequency). If you still use the original analogue power supply, this have to support well the increasing need for current of the DACs.
Personally, I just removed the Oppo`s power supply and the Rotel trafo. I use now an toroid trafo for +/-15v and another one for the +9v, with two different corresponding power supplies. I have to work around a little for give the necessary power the DACs need with the new oscillator. This my modification is not completely finish yet...

I will try to adjust more this modification for be as it have to be from all points of view, and maybe I will come back with some pictures of the final set up. I want try now with an 100Mhz...
I used an 10$ 80Mhz oscillator (25ppm). If everything goes fine with this kind of oscillators, I will use finally something with lowest ppm as possible (maybe ppb...)
Old 17th August 2011, 02:06 AM   #19
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

making statements like saying anything at this end of the market is improved 10x (lol 10x hifi, what does that even mean?) by increasing your mclk from 54mhz to 80mhz really undermines your credibility and also gives weight to the view in engineering circles that audiophiles are a bunch of mistics
Old 17th August 2011, 06:49 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
making statements like saying anything at this end of the market is improved 10x (lol 10x hifi, what does that even mean?) by increasing your mclk from 54mhz to 80mhz really undermines your credibility and also gives weight to the view in engineering circles that audiophiles are a bunch of mistics
OK!

Hide this!Advertise here!