Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95 - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2012, 07:55 AM   #181
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I think in the case of oscillators is not about increase stability at increased frequency, but about better jitter and phase noise parameters at higher base frequency, than lower ones. Actually say, the jitter it will decrease (figures) at higher oscillation frequencies. Will decrease under an level which will affect less the rest of the involved devices around it (audio/digital applications), but could still be an important/disturbing value for another applications (radio field, measurements devices, etc.). There is a fact that at higher oscillator frequency, the jitter become lower, comparing with a lower frequency oscillator case. This is logic enough and will affect positive clocking devices which will work at quite low frequencies, like the f. ex. DACs for audio applications. Is more benefit to generate a clock signal using the highest possible frequency oscillator (lowest jitter/phase noise), then heaving an (maybe expensive/sophisticated) oscillator near the needed clock frequency. I think this can explain better results in the case of Sabre DAC, when the clock generator have higher frequencies... But lack of detailed informations about this DAC chip can make this explanation quite diffuse...

When about the SAW type oscillators, I can see that it were developed for use in an quite high vibrations environment (like airplains f. ex.). In audio applications those vibrations are not as high as in an (aircraft) industry environment, but theirs stability at disturbing/parasitic parameters can really increase the quality of the generated clock in an audio DAC (f. ex.)... Just curious to see/hear how it works...

Last edited by Coris; 1st September 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 1st September 2012, 08:13 AM   #182
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
.. Just curious to see/hear how it works...
Yes indeed, and I am curious what your feedback will be.

Well, I like what I am hearing and quite happy to let others know, especially if this proves the way to go. This is definitely superior to anything I have hooked up to a Sabre DAC.

Cheers, Joe
Old 6th September 2012, 07:31 PM   #183
diyAudio Member

Yes, indeed... I can confirm it. This oscillator is the best of all I`ve tried in this mod. Thanks for advice!
More detailed sound stage, better defined everything in the stage, and an exceptional deep/natural bass...
I will never go back to 100Mhz oscillator, no matter it is called Crystek, but I have to try synchronous clock one day (using a Buffalo DAC board)...
I think I have to precise here that this (clock) mod is not based on informations about the set up of ESS9018, its firmware parameters, and so on. As it is the software used for the Sabre DAC in this Oppo player, it works much more better at the higher frequencies than the original oscillator (54Mhz), and the best result it seems to be using this SAW oscillator.

Still waiting see/read from another ones results, and maybe get some thanks from Oppo itself for this offered for free product development work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 125Mhz SAW oscillator for ESS9018.jpg (450.8 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by Coris; 6th September 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 7th September 2012, 02:00 AM   #184
diyAudio Member

I have plenty of extra Linear power modification PCBs left.

I want to share with other DIYers.

Pm me if you want. I also have dedicated troidal transformers and other parts for this project.

Good clock circuitary must get the power form linear power source.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th September 2012, 08:03 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Hong Lee View Post

Pm me if you want. I also have dedicated troidal transformers and other parts for this project.

good look! good sound? or this for video only?
Old 10th September 2012, 04:08 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Hong Lee View Post

Hi Jea Hong Lee

How is this for 25Mhz ocxo?
Is it ok for the Oppo BD93

OX1439C-LV-10 25 MHz 0.1ppm OCXO oscillator Raltron | eBay

Many thanks for any help

Smiffy
Old 10th September 2012, 05:44 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
I... Been down the CD and modded CD /dvd gizmo path before.. repeatedly... as there are very few ( 2 or 3?) CD selling shops left standing Here in Vancouver. Who the hell ..buys ..CD's these days?? Old men I suppose?
I think you have missed the point. I barely use my Oppo for disks, even though it does the near gamut of formats. No, I have 800 albums on a HDD with many of them 24bit recordings. Like for example Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" at 24/192K.

So we get the best of both worlds. Files and disks. Inbuilt menu system.

Also, the Oppo 95 comes with the top-of-line 32bit Sabre DAC, not the usual delta-sigma, and an inbuilt remote volume control with 99 different levels (need the latest firmware) that may well be (nobody is saying for sure) is 64bit.

Not everybody is getting the best out of the Sabre DAC, but when you know how to, then it's a winner.

Cheers, Joe R.

PS: BTW, I am not a videophile, but oh boy, when I do watch one, the audio of this player adds a huge dimension to watching a movie.
Old 10th September 2012, 05:55 PM   #188
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, indeed... I can confirm it. This oscillator is the best of all I`ve tried in this mod. Thanks for advice!
More detailed sound stage, better defined everything in the stage, and an exceptional deep/natural bass...
I will never go back to 100Mhz oscillator, no matter it is called Crystek, but I have to try synchronous clock one day (using a Buffalo DAC board)...
See, I told you so. I don't know if you can get them as low as 25MHz, I think they start at around 70MHz and go up.

Quote:
I think I have to precise here that this (clock) mod is not based on informations about the set up of ESS9018, its firmware parameters, and so on. As it is the software used for the Sabre DAC in this Oppo player, it works much more better at the higher frequencies than the original oscillator (54Mhz), and the best result it seems to be using this SAW oscillator.
According to ESS, the max is 100MHz. This satisfies their requirements for DSD Data, Serial Normal, Serial Bypass and SPDIF.

But SAW oscillators are so stable it seems. I have now been running 125MHz for some time and nothing amiss.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:29 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Is true also, I`ve seen that after wrote the post... The SAW oscillators are not made for quite low frequencies.
I`ve run it ESS9018 on 133Mhz (as is to be seen in my earlier posts in this thread and another one). It were a little problems at that frequency in some particular cases. I`ve also run it too at 125Mhz, but I did not have a very good oscillator (only a standard one) at that frequency, but it was running very well.
The SAW oscillator is much better, therefore the result now is very good. Better than at multiple samplings frequencies.
I just wander why so long the chip is made (as the designer state) for an max 100Mhz clock it runs even better at those clock frequencies we tested it (over 100Mhz)...

Last edited by Coris; 10th September 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11th September 2012, 05:47 AM   #190
jvd is offline jvd  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Ralton Oscillator

Smiffy is the oscillator 0.1 ppm or 10 ppm according to the manufacturer's description?

Hide this!Advertise here!