Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2012, 01:38 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Report on Jaehong's Linear Power Supply Kit from Manfred (Germany) :

I ordered the Linear PS as a Kit from Jeahong from Korea. I paid 152 Euros for the Kit incl. shipping and pay-pall cost.
Custom clearance and VAT in Germany did cost me an other 26 Euros. So in total it was 178,-Euros.

1. The Kit and Assembly:

The transaction was fast and I received a package which included:

1 huge, high quality Transformer 220V, with 2 secondary leads for 6V and 1 secondary lead for +/- 16V.

1 high quality PCB with good printings for all components.

1 pack with all required parts, as caps, rectifiers, etc incl. mounting bolts and nuts.

I had received by mail upfront some pictures and guideline for the assembly. Together with the printing on the PCB it was easy to assemble the kit.
It took me approx. 2 hours to solder and mount all parts. I used Wondersolder and it was very easy to get good soldering joints.
I spend most time to make the caps "naked" and mark them all. If this sounds better, I do not know, but I do this on all my audio kits.

I tested the kit and the yellow LED came on, so this should be the basic check, that everything is done correct.
BTW, I should mention, that I do not connect the +/-15 Volt for the analog output, since I do not use them in the Oppo 93.

The mounting of the assembled LPS into the Oppo is not a big issue neither, it took me about an other half an hour to swob the power PCB.
In Germany we get the Oppo already supplied with a 3 prong power socket and earth/grounding connection is already done to the chassis.
However, I changed the power socket as well, since I got a 3 prong power inlet socket supplied with the kit from Jeahong.

So I could leave all removed parts in original status to re-assemble it back to original if wanted.

Comments:
The Linear Power supply is a non sophisticated, non high-end basic power supply with caps from a korean supplier (non high-end at least to my knowledge).
Therefor I was skeptical about the performance and was hesitating, if I should not replace the caps and rectifiers with better parts, such as Blackgate or Elma caps.
However, then I decided to build it just as Jeahong supplied it and give it a try.
The 2 separate 5V DC for the digital part to the Oppo are filtered/buffered each with 3 x 10.000uF/16V caps, this is really huge, isn't it?

2. Video and Audio performance:

Jeahong recommended to give the PS some hours of burn-in to settle the caps, which I did with a 4 days x 24hours continuous bluray operation in repeat modus.

Video:
(my components to validate are: JVC DLA X7 on 3 mtr wide screen, connected with Wireworld Ultraviolett 6 HDMI cable).

Picture quality improved, it seems to have more color and contrast, which probably is the result of less noise on the power supply.
The look is just more 3 dimensional, I think this is the best way to describe it. (I have not tested it with 3-D bluray).

Audio:
(I connect with a Wireworld Starlight 6 HDMI cable to an Anthem MRX700 (preamp only) which is feeding an Anthem P5 multichannel amp to a modded Klipsch 7.1 LS-System)

High frequency distortion is reduced, much less fatiguing now and lot easier to your ears.
Voice easier to understand.
Speakers are now disappearing better and sound space is more in the room.

At the beginning, I thought that bass has lost weight, but it is just less boomy and more precise.
I can turn up level now by 3 to 5 dB and still thinking it is lower volume then before the upgrade.
This is a clear indication, how much less stress is put on your ears with the LPS.

3. Summary:

The Kit is a no brainer for everybody who wants a cost effective upgrade for his Oppo 93.
It is easy to install (and to assemble if you can hold a solder iron).
The performance improvement is surprisingly big, especially when you compare it with the cost of "professional modders".
After the LPS in the Oppo 93, it is very difficult to listen to any SMPS equipped blu-ray player anymore, its just pain on your ears.

Jeahong, please fell free to use my report as reference to other possible customers or on the forum.
Thanks.

MfG / Best regards ..... Manfred Weil ...... emw.weil@t-online.de
Old 26th July 2012, 12:14 PM   #142
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

interesting, as the video and audio is all digital data to the outside world, any scope shots to show what may be happening to the digital data to create such an improvement between an SMPS and a linear supply?
Old 28th July 2012, 10:15 PM   #143
jvd is offline jvd  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

It is one of the major inconveniences/disasters (sorry if anyone finds the use of this word inappropriate) of the internet that legitimate sites, such as Jae Hong Lee's blog, become infected by malicious, devious, criminal, bastards.
Going to his blog brings up ..........

Reported Attack Page!
This web page at blog.paran.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners >>>>>>>>>>>

Diagnostic page for blog.paran.com

What is the current listing status for blog.paran.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this website may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 7 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 2548 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 16 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-07-28, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-07-28.

Malicious software includes 23 trojan(s), 10 exploit(s), 3 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 17 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 5 domain(s), including junggomania.nefficient.co.kr/, securitynews.co.kr/, 175.115.53.0/.

3 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including blog.paran.com/blog/, blog.paran.com/common/, 175.115.53.0/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS4766 (Korea Telecom).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, blog.paran.com appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 13 site(s) including daum.net/, blog.paran.com/zm6ueigs/, blog.paran.com/ihs7100/.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

Return to the previous page.
If you are the owner of this website, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Centre.
Old 29th July 2012, 07:12 AM   #144
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
interesting, as the video and audio is all digital data to the outside world, any scope shots to show what may be happening to the digital data to create such an improvement between an SMPS and a linear supply?
You maybe forget that digital datas are converted in analogue in one or another stage of the machine... High or low frequency noises introduced by a noisy/switching PSU may interfere with the digital processing, increasing the need for error corrections in the system, and degrade at last the information to be analogue converted at the end...
It is a very solid fact that a linear, a more quiet PSU increase much the quality of the sound (and video) in a both digital or analogue audio systems/devices.
One do not necessary need an oscilloscope to hear the difference of a improved sound (or see a better quality picture on the screen)... but may need more knowledge to understand well the processes....

Last edited by Coris; 29th July 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 29th July 2012, 07:25 AM   #145
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I`ve been visited before the Jae Hong Lee's blog site without any problem or infection... But now I can see (confirm) too that his blog site is blocked by Google.
Jae Hong Lee will may find necessary to move his blog on another host site... or just continue his participation to this forum site.
Old 29th July 2012, 09:00 AM   #146
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes but a lot of digital noise is created by the digital switching itself, in fact most of the noise is created by fast rise time (most digital devices these days have very fast rise times) switching of digital devices. From my experience the only way is to isolate your final DAC stage and have the minimum of digital devices (ie the DAC only) in that isolated stage, that is the ONLY way to isolate yourself as much as possible from any digital noise on the supplies and the return (ground). And no a linear of SMPS if designed properly for the system will have no effect on the digital signals, the power supply is last in the chain of any high speed switching system (digital video is a good example), the on chip and interplane capacitances provide the inital charge, with the small MCLL capacitors providing the next and so on through reservoir caps back to the PSU (linear or SMPS). If you realy want to improve any digital signal integrity you are better concentrating on the PCB structure (all signals stripline with adjacent contigous planes for optimal return current paths, close coupled power and ground planes, 0.1mm dielctric)
and proper decoupling of the power supplies, an art not often practiced, instead rules of thumb.
No I do not agrere that SMPS are always inferior to linear, they are not and are not the main source of noise that a digital system creates, they do contribute as dose all switching digital devices.
Old 30th July 2012, 12:17 AM   #147
diyAudio Member

I moved my blog to http://pcaudio.tistory.com

see home theater section
Old 30th July 2012, 11:33 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

I imagine the temperature inside the player is now higher due to the linear regulators (the Oppo 93 already runs quite warm). Have you done any testing in this regard?
Old 31st July 2012, 04:29 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

It is quite hot. but heatsink of my LPM is attached to bottom plate and dissipates heats efficiently. It becomes global warming.

see the photo od my LPM in my blog. then you will understand it.
Old 7th August 2012, 01:33 AM   #150
diyAudio Member

I have made Linear power module for OPPO 95 .

Those who want to be beta tester . give me e- nmail to pcaudio@paran.com or PM

my blog to http://pcaudio.tistory.com

I found out that OPPo 95 analog sound is really superb. much better than coaxial out sound.

More spacious , more clean, detail .
With OPPO 95 LPM, the video became quite aatractive with much reduced noise.

I am very inmpressed with OPPO 95

I am preparing for mass production to meet the demand of OPPO 95 users .

Last edited by Jae Hong Lee; 7th August 2012 at 01:36 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!