Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95 - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2012, 10:06 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

It seems, everyone went to sleep over here.
Does it mean the peak is reached? If 100% - is the sonic difference between the stock device and the dezired perfect fully upgraded one, then, based on your experience, how much in % of total sonic improvement does each modification add:

1 Stabilization and distribution of Power Supply-?
2 DAC clock (54 - 80 - 100Mhz) -?
3 Processor clock 25Mhz -?
4 Hdmi interface clock 20Mhz -?
5 OP Amps-?

Another question:
Processor and Hdmi clock frequincies should be exactly 25 and 20 Mhz, or say, anything between 24-26 and 19-21 would do?
Old 20th March 2012, 01:23 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

How to express audio and video quality improvement in % ?
Old 20th March 2012, 02:00 PM   #123
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i think it is quite silly to try to put a % and anyone who does so loses my attention
Old 20th March 2012, 02:34 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Ok ok, calm down. If you don't like %, let's express it another way:
How the sound changes with each mod?
Old 20th March 2012, 03:46 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

It would be nice to know just how much value we get out of each mod. That means that a few more people have to try them and report back. I have other projects ATM, but this one is on the todo list.

btw, coris upgraded the processor clock from 25 to 100 and reported an all out improvement, unfortunately he lost just about everything but the USB. Since 95% of the time i only use the USB and the other 5% i could get away with USB it could be interesting to try.

RE op amps, i haven't seen anyone mod these ... where was that post ?
Old 20th March 2012, 05:32 PM   #126
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Nice to see that the thread is waking up a little bit...

I fully agree that the idea about quantify the improvements in % or another way of "measurements" is unfortunate. This kind of "informations" are wrong and high subjective. It just doesn`t work like this...
Here, as in this forum in general is about to exchange ideas and objective infos. Once one got an idea from here or elsewhere, and appreciate as intresting, can one only try it himself for have own conclusions. If that one will want to report here the result/own impresions, this will be fortunate for many others, and eventual mod activity will just grow up. Whole can be so more objective, and progress ocure... That is the way I can see the thing can work quite well.
Eventhough some think that the ideas here about BDP95 mods are intresting, I can not see at many are reporting, confirming or not what is to be found it here.
Are someone intresting in how much (%) improvements will be modding so, and so, can one only do it himself (DIY...) to see, hear the results...
Otherwise is only about talking/writing words...

I will try further to point out or answer some of the questions in the lasts posts:

DaveDaGr8 - The existing opamps in the player are of a quite good quality, and that because an very important improvement from changing those out is not happen. I`m working now on an diffrent analogue stage (compleatelly diffrent than existing one). I`m not yuet finish this work...
Astonish improvement come from changing the main processor clock to 100Mhz, but only USB interface is then working. Could be fine if some else can go in to this field, and maybe found out more... The transport is not working on 100Mhz. I did not reaserched yet why... But quality of video and audio is just amazing though USB interface...
Else, using as usually the USB interface to play the files (audio/video) is not the best solution. It work all much better through SATA interface... Even better using SSD powered with 5v from the player own USB...

mimop - HDMI clock have to be exactly that value it is. I`ve tryied 50Mhz and the image is desynchronized. But you can just try another value, and report the result...
"How the sound changes with each mod?" Answer: VERY MUCH!
The biggest improvement in audio stage come from using 100Mhz (or more) for the ESS9018 DAC. Second big improvement (both audio & video) come from using a more stable/lower jitter 25Mhz clock for the main processor. Try 1 - 5 ppm clock...
Another big improvement come from working out on the power system. Here is quite much to be done, because this system is the worst in this player...

Last edited by Coris; 20th March 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 21st March 2012, 02:26 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

I got the some sample PCBs for full linear regulated power supply of OPPO93/95

see here

http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_81031...b_conv.jpg.jpg

I have some extra for sharing .
Old 21st March 2012, 03:55 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_81031...b_conv.jpg

the above link does not work
Old 21st March 2012, 04:03 AM   #129
jvd is offline jvd  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Ric Schultz

Hi Ric Schultz: I saw a couple of days back on AA you changed your 95 to a lower jitter main clock with significant benefit.
What sort of tolerance have you got down to?

Has Jae Hong Lee said where he gets the .01ppm oscillator he is (hopefully) going to install in his 93 (other than Korea)?
Old 21st March 2012, 04:21 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

001 PPM OCXOs ( 20, 25 and 27MHz) are ordered and delivered within 4 weeks.

They are custom made and very expensive ( each one costs about 160$ + VAT)

I really want to see and hear the change after full linear power mod + OCXO installment .

Hide this!Advertise here!