Squeezebox > DAC vs PC > DAC Audio Quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, is there anyone with first hand experience of comparing the sound quality of a PC with DAC to a Squeezebox with DAC?

Hopefully someone has run nice playback software like CMP +Cplay or XXxhighend or something like that and compared to a Squeezebox.
I'm interested to hear anyone's impressions on the matter.
Thanks.

Hi Erin,

You didn't tell us what kind of DAC you compare.
Anyway Squeezebox can be good after some mods.
Separate DAC boxs can be used with other components and there are few
cheaper DAC that not bad sounding. (Audio Alchemy DAC in the Box, Musical Fidelity V-dac, Micromega dac duo, Cambridge Audio,etc)

There are some dac chips that worth to try:
Buffalo Sabre32
Wolfson WM8740, WM8776,
Cirrus-Logic CS4398
Burr-Brown BB1702
PCM1792
AD1860, 1865
TDA1541
TDA1543 very easy to build a dac from this chip.
TDA1549

If you wanna use your pc you need a good sound card anyway to get decent digital out.
For your PC I recommend ASUS Xonar DS, its cheap and almost as good as the Xonar Essence ST.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar DS

Forget about Creative sound blaster they are junk.

Or go for DIY, there are many good DACs around.

I hope I could give you some idea.

Attachments

• post-21550-012414900 1293125370.jpg
    post-21550-012414900 1293125370.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 561
  • 2692783655_fb712f4be9_o.jpg
    2692783655_fb712f4be9_o.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 545
  • 31x7y-rMItL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31x7y-rMItL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 534
Thank you danico, I am very familiar with DACs.

I am really wondering what is a better source.

1)The PC > soundcard > SPDIF > DAC
2)PC > USB SPDIF converter > DAC

OR
PC or NAS > Squeezebox > SPDIF output > DAC?

I am hoping there is someone who has compared the above and can say with some informed certainty that one is better than the other, or perhaps they are all as good as one another?

I use a Netgear Stora NAS feeding Squeezebox Touch with coax output to a Hlly DMK IV preamp/DAC for most of my listening and I occasionally feed the USB output from my Dell laptop running JRiver Jukebox to the Hlly. The basic sound quality of these two sources is comparable but I find that low level hash finds its way through from the PC when the switchmode power supply is plugged in. When the PC is running on battery it is much improved but still not as black a background as the Touch.

don't over look the Behringer Ucontrol UCA 202. External USB, self-Powered with RCA in and out and headphone jack and control. Not fancy, but good sounding and $30 USD everywhere. I have a couple of them and love them.

I use one for my soundcard oscilloscope. I believe the chip is a Burr-Brown.

here are some more specs and photo on the U-CONTROL.

U-CONTROL UCA202
Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface with Digital Output

Ultra-flexible audio interface connects your instruments, mixer, etc. with your computer for recording and playback
High-resolution 48 kHz converters for high-end audio quality
Works with your PC or Mac computer—no setup or drivers required. Free audio recording and editing software downloadable at BEHRINGER: Home
Stereo Headphone output with dedicated Level control lets you monitor both input and output
Additional S/PDIF optical output for direct digital conversion
Powered via USB—no external power supply needed

Attachments

• UCA202_P0484_FrontPerspective_web.jpg
    UCA202_P0484_FrontPerspective_web.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 409
The major advantage of the SB is that it does isolate the signal from noise pollution, ground-bourne & otherwise, from the pc power supply. SB is better still when you get rid of it's crappy SMPS supply in favor of a linear supply or battery. At least in the Duet, there is no dc-dc switching conversion, just linear regs, so the external supply is only SMPS crap going on. Of course, the wifi signal is a potential contaminant of signal, but I saw no modulation from it on the scope when checking a Duet I upgraded.

Time to revive this thread.

I had to know the answer to my question. So I bought the Squeezebox touch.
My previous setup was PC running CMP with cPlay > upgraded modified teralink X USB SPDIF converter with battery power supply > DAC.

New setup is PC > Billion router > Squeezebox touch using linear power supply with JLH "ripple eater" (regulator) > DAC.

With this setup, and particularly the JLH Ripple eater John Linsley Hood ripple Eater - Rock Grotto Charity Edition the sound is really incredible. It beats any CD player I ever heard, and it beats my previous PC with USB SPDIF converter also by a long way.

With the Touch, most noticable is the absense of sibilance, compeletly smooth unfatiguing high frequencies and incredible soundstage. Apart from the different power supply, I have also applied soundchecks software (mods) to the Touch, which do make a noticable worthwhile improvement. I think there is still room to improve the sound further, but at the moment, as far as transports go, the touch is going to be hard to beat.

You may want to check out this link.
Opened up the Squeezebox Touch | diyparadise.com

You will notice that the gentleman on that link suggests the SPDIF output of the touch "leaves a lot to be desired." IMO its not the SPDIF output that has major issues, but the stock SMPS. A better quality power supply such as the one I'm using makes a world of difference.

Power draw when using it over the network (no usb stick plugged into it) is less than 1A

Last edited:
Thanks! The pics are a bit too small for me to work out what CPU they're using. But John Swenson's linked post is a goldmine of info - he points out there are some switching regs on the board to supply 1.2/1.4V to the processor.

Yeah I'd expect a linear supply to greatly reduce the CM noise you'll be coupling into the DAC - that's one big advantage of a lower powered device. The < 1A is from a 5V supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.