DIY hifi source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:D
Cheers, I was hobling a bit.
having a bad few weeks, working in sunny London at the moment so spend 10 hours a week on trains or sat in stations waiting for trains and loosing the will to live over digital audio, though using a touch screen is a dam easier than getting a CD out of the case.
We did have an EMC tempramental CNC, usually went of the rails 10 minutes before a 12 hr job finished, bit like when PCB artwork was plotted out on a pen plotter, ink would run out at 6.30am after a 7 hour plot.

The best 256-tooth gears are hand-made by virgins, after dowsing through the blanks for the best metallurgy. No CNC machine can approach the skill of these ladies. Machine-built machines are so last century!

Oh, sorry, I seem to have spent a couple of seconds in a parallel universe where bits are not bits, where information can be the same but different, and words mean anything I want them to mean. Strange thing: in that universe there seemed to be a lot more audio systems than over here where most of us live.

Curiouser and Curiouser

The best 256-tooth gears are hand-made by virgins, after dowsing through the blanks for the best metallurgy. No CNC machine can approach the skill of these ladies. Machine-built machines are so last century!

Oh, sorry, I seem to have spent a couple of seconds in a parallel universe where bits are not bits, where information can be the same but different, and words mean anything I want them to mean. Strange thing: in that universe there seemed to be a lot more audio systems than over here where most of us live.

Ah, so that explains the Antikythera Mechanism (if this is new to you, you're in for a treat). Virgins. Wanna see some handmade gears? The more you understand what's going on, the more you'll be amazed at the ability of the ancients.
Antikythera mechanism working model.mov - YouTube

By wonderful coincidence, a TV programme about that amazing device was repeated in the UK just a few days ago. It rather blows a hole in the idea that our ideas are ever improving - there was clearly a huge decline in technology for many centuries. If someone had dug up an old manuscript describing it, rather than the actual item, most historians would have rejected it as fiction or myth.

Yes, cryotreatment for some mechanical items actually makes a difference. A real measurable difference, such as machine tools lasting a bit longer. And, I guess, some real metallurgical science to explain why.

So I shouldn't feel like an idiot for getting these? Gold Lion KT88 Cryo Treated Matched Pair, Cryoset Online Store

My thinking at the time was, domestic shipping a little safer and the treatment would at least catch tubes that fail early. Can I tell the difference in my 30w SET monoblocks? Changed all the tubes so can't isolate the variable. New tubes are a royal pain though. Lots of burn in time, and if left off for >10 days, semi-bad all over again. The amps change by the hour and seem to open up only after the dispatch of feeder mice, or maybe they just tune in to the pleasure sensations of the cats munching on the carcasses.

No, the claim was that bit identical files (same checksum) with anything else
being equal would be able to sound different. No you are silently moving
to D/A converters (which are certainly of different quality).
Because that's where the damage is done. Bit identical files cause a different pattern of electrical noise to be propagated through the electronics because a different sequence of logic steps occurred in the PC to retrieve them, and different patterns of current draw from the supplies if a hard drive was the medium would add to the mix. Which ends up impinging to some degree on the DAC, and the following analogue circuitry.

Many would argue that impact of this is minute, has inaudible effects. Well, plenty of people are paying money for software which very carefully reduces the level of logic, PC activity to the absolute minumum, because they can hear a difference. So at least some people are sensitive to it ...

Frank

You're right, I should. I guess I'll never know what he means when he says 'gets cosy' or 'black box'. Or maybe I already do. It means I want to believe.
Among the cognoscenti it's known as humour, or, lightness of touch. Last time I looked around here I couldn't find the declarations that postings on this forum were to be considered in the same light as articles in 'Nature' or 'New Scientist' ...

But, speaking of 'black boxes', that's how engineers and scientists are prone to thinking: everything in its own cuddly place, and never the twain shall meet. If something is digital it cannot display attributes that others would call analogue, and vice versa. Deconstruct the system into compartments, such that each of these compartments are totally independent, apart from well defined interfaces; makes everything so much easier to deal with. Mention that everything affects everything, and a little, almost imperceptible, cold shiver just might go up this person's back ...

A good example of how successful that black box thinking can be is the current Joint Strike Fighter project - saw a program on that last night. Just have each team work out how their part of the ensemble needs to perform, get it right, and finally assemble the bits - and all is good to go. On time, on budget, "proper engineering" ... :)

Frank

no, many will argue that you are now yet again changing your position, this is called trolling, simple. there is no damage done, they are binary codes, identical binary codes, there is no room for damage that doesnt change a bit. there is no mechanism to store anything else.

2 options, you have no idea how digital binary code works (hard to believe since its such a simple concept) or you are trolling.

or perhaps you are speaking another language and dont realize it, the bits stored in your memory nolonger relate to the correct terms, so your recall is not bit-perfect?

@qusp: There's no data, no informed theory, just handwaving and repeated assertions- not to be unkind, but why do you bother to respond?

fair enough, I have no idea...

why do you continue to reply to John? when someone presents as if they should know better but continuously make obvious, impossible and contradictory statements; that really screws with my mind.

what i'm responding to and what maddens me is mostly the repeated and quite blatant flip flopping (so to speak ;) ) of the position. the trolling. perhaps i'll let the ******** build up unchecked for a while before coming back to contribute some sanity. wait for the 3 guys that all have stated similarly mistaken, but also conflicting ideas to start back slapping as if they know what the other is talking about.

Last edited:
there is no damage done, they are binary codes, identical binary codes, there is no room for damage that doesnt change a bit. there is no mechanism to store anything else.

2 options, you have no idea how digital binary code works (hard to believe since its such a simple concept) or you are trolling.

or perhaps you are speaking another language and dont realize it, the bits stored in your memory nolonger relate to the correct terms, so your recall is not bit-perfect?
I call that trolling: you're claiming that I'm saying that noise is stored with the bits ... hmmm??

As regards data, poor ol' Einstein would have chopped to shreds by the lot going full pelt here ... as it was, he was ignored or ridiculed -- "Where's the data, Albert ... eh, eh, eh ... you're off your rocker, mate!!"

Need a big sign at the front entrance: "Hand veffin' ist VERBOTEN!!" ...

Frank

Last edited:
That mechanism!

It rather blows a hole in the idea that our ideas are ever improving
Think of all the foundational thinking that had to come BEFORE the mechanism:
1. The revelation that the movement in the heavens can be predicted mathematically, or, as Einstein said, the most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.
2. Observation and plotting of the movements of all planets visible by the naked eye, arriving at the epicycle (taking a geocentric orientation, planets can move retrograde at times). He/she had to know Ptolemy or another such.
3. Conceptual design of each gear in relation to all of the other gears. The rotating ball that shows the phases of the moon! Sizing each gear so the movement of each planet is proportional when the knob is turned. What is that? Multi-variable algebra?
4. Not sure if they got eclipses down though, since that takes a long long time to observe a pattern, and it is dependent on the coordinates of the observer.

The education, tooling, economic system for enough leisure away from bare survival, and a genius to make it. No known antecedents. Subsequent attempts coming much later, like water clocks, several orders of magnitude simpler.

It exists. It's inarguable. It is a far greater wonder than the seven wonders of the ancient world to a thinking person.

Oh noz! Now you've done it.

Frank, dont be ridiculous, Albert had a theory and math, you have a paradox and a fairytale

Ahhh, I see my problem, no maths!! I guess I'll have to reach for my ol' calculus book and chuck in some impressive lookin', incomprehensible to just about everyone, integral functions. That just might get me over the line, perhaps ... ;)

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.