DIY hifi source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't agree that Foo Fighters are good test tracks. I have a vintage tube guitar amp (Fender Deluxe Reverb, pre CBS and no it's not for sale). It is prized for its ability to overdrive the tubes, to MAKE them clip, distort. The distortion is the rock guitar sound. The soft clipping is like a kind of compression or sustain. Modern amps try to imitate this, even have overdrive knobs so you can get the sound without turning the amp up to 11. Even transistor amps try to get into the act artificially, by simulating overdrive. There are as many kinds sounds as there are amps, guitars, and musicians, not to mention all the add-ons available.

There is no original electric guitar sound.
At the moment I've got in the house Foo Fighters, and AC/DC Iron Man 2 collection. AC/DC is very easy to get clean reproduction, just hard driving rock and roll, production is very clean. Foo Fighters feels completely over the top, that the sound is trying to drive you, cowering, to hide in a corner to escape the pummeling. Completely different production style, that's very hard to tame; so the degree to which that overbearing sound, a mix which has several kitchen sinks embedded, can be brought under control I find is a measure of the quality of the system -- not just what the guitars sound like ...

Frank

what? your pop culture reference eludes meaning to me

Foo Fighters? seriously? the man should have stayed behind the drums
Psy, the Korean rapper behind that song, is pronounced SY ... :)

Yes, seriously: very "difficult" recordings give one excellent clues about weaknesses in a system. Plus, they're fantastic for warming up, conditioning driver suspensions from cold; half an album's worth is enough to get the speakers in pretty good shape ...;)

Frank

You should be checking out The Aristrocrats with Guthrie Govan, Brian Beller, Marco Minneman if you want to hear an example of supreme production
"Good" production is not the point; a really messed up one is ...

If I want to listen to "good" sound my cup of tea is live Peter Green in Splinter, or the double live album of Bondi Cigars, a local blues/rock group. The latter blows away the Jazz At The Pawnshop type of nonsense ... :wave2s:, ;)

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.