DIY hifi source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a couple.

Actually probably explained by my misunderstanding of Marce's post. There still appear to be DAC's that don't use a fifo buffer, so in that case earlier jitter does appear at the DAC.

This is partially correct. That's one element of the system. So is the local clock for the DAC (the bit that Guido sells).

Guido also sells a complete system, linkingg transport and DAC's. The local clock affects jitter at the DAC, whether the datastream is buffered or not, sure. But it has nothing to do with whether or not spdif created jitter reaches the DAC, right?

Last edited:
No I was saying that only jitter that apears in the last satge of the digital data's transprot from long term storage device to DAC matters, this is more often and not the SPDIF interface.

Concentrate on the last step, and if it is of concern isolate and buffer the data, then you can optimise the timing, minimise noise from a PC (cos whotever you try the only way of cutting down a digital systems noise is reducing the switching speeds and thus minimising switchig noise of the gates, oh and nice slooooow rise times, Olivetti 24 anyone, we could argue over the difference then between 5.25 discs and 3 and a bit).
Thats why we have so many voltages on PCB's involving processors, CPLD's, FPGA's etc, they cant swing 5V any more, its all this sill 45nm and smaller features and silly rise times to allow double data rate memory to work (never mind burst mode) and such like.

OK.

Guido also sells a complete system, linkingg transport and DAC's. The local clock affects jitter at the DAC, whether the datastream is buffered or not sure. But it has nothing to do with whether or not spdif created jitter reaches the DAC, right?

Assuming you're accurate here in your description of what he's selling, then yes, right- it's the clock that counts. I have one of his clock modules which I installed in an old Philips CD player (1541-based). Works exactly as advertised.

Would this be a good place to clarify, for those who need it, that in a typical external DAC setup the SPDIF receiver is responsible for filtering away any high frequency jitter, but it necessarily cannot deal with low frequency jitter so the quality of the crystal clock in the source still matters. Hence the Tent upgrades. I have no experience of them, but I believe that if designed properly and installed properly they may improve crystal oscillator jitter if the original oscillator is a poor one. I have no idea how audible this improvement may be.

df96
With the MF X-DAC V3 which uses pretty much a textbook implementation for the DSD1792 etc., and uses the earlier DIR1703E instead of the later
DIR9001 , marked improvements in SQ can be obtained by replacing the existing 24.576 XO with a .3PPM or 1PPM Vanguard TCXO, and supplying it +5V via a supply such as, or similar to the PFM "Flea." It improves further if you replace the capacitors on the 1703( and the DIR9001) filter pins with high quality close tolerance type capacitors. The improvement with the .3PPM TCXO is even more evident with high resolution material.
Yes, it was compared against another X-DAC V3 in a similar stage of modification, but using the existing 24.576 XO.
Several people who have done similar, report hearing a marked improvement in SQ after a few minutes of operation as the TCXO stabilises.This did not happen with the original XO.
Alex

Guidos upgrades are some of the best regarding engineering and assembly instructions I have seen, with co-axial cable specified, I was refering to som home grown solutions.
Again if anyone has any pointers to information on jitter, especialy low frequency and its affect on audio (I have seen info saying the noise floor goes up) I would be most apreciative, links with real data regarding the effect please.

Ha Ha Ha Ha, CAT cable only has an effect on the data rate and if the cabling is realy realy bad (very rare) it can effect the NAC packets, causing more to be re-transmitted due to data integrity, but this is very rare these days (very rare) compared to the good old ethernet when it ran via a BNC socket.
Saying that I have some audiophile grade ethernet cable for sale at $100 a foot, using New Age Electronic design techniques (much better than following physics and stuff, gawd Oliver Heavisides Telegrapher's equation is from the 1880's so dated man) and tested using the best Audiophile graded ears I could find, each cable is tested specificly for the deepest blacks, the highest highs and the most neutral midranges possible. We then test to find the optimal direction, hand marking each cable. Finaly they are cryogenicly treated in my freezer, and broken in for at least a week by my local flagellation club. Each cable is guaranteed not to be a sigle crystal structure and use the purest materials impossible to buy in its consruction.
PM me with loads of money and a list of your requirements, available grades are CATlitter, CATnip and our premium grade CATsh**.

Last edited:
Different noise transmission?
Nope sorry, ethernet is galvonicly isolated, look up the interface, also in the magnetics are common mode chokes. And the signals are transmitted as differential pairs coupled to each other, the ground plane ends at the magnetics....
This realy is an audiophile myth, it also wont transmit jitter, and finaly all data is buffered at the transceiver, all directions and sent as packets, along with any other network traffic.......

I want some so bad!

Saying that I have some audiophile grade ethernet cable for sale at $100 a foot, using New Age Electronic design techniques (much better than following physics and stuff, gawd Oliver Heavisides Telegrapher's equation is from the 1880's so dated man) and tested using the best Audiophile graded ears I could find, each cable is tested specificly for the deepest blacks, the highest highs and the most neutral midranges possible. We then test to find the optimal direction, hand marking each cable. Finaly they are cryogenicly treated in my freezer, and broken in for at least a week by my local flagellation club. Each cable is guaranteed not to be a sigle crystal structure and use the purest materials impossible to buy in its consruction.
PM me with loads of money and a list of your requirements, available grades are CATlitter, CATnip and our premium grade CATsh**.

Get this guy's customer list. You'll make sales. I'm not kidding. PT Barnum was right!
Blackbody : Ambient field conditioner | Audiophile power conditioner | Audio power cables by LessLoss

Ha Ha:)
Not to be outdone though Marce Enterprises have developed the Ceramic Quantum Silence Enhanser, a special blend ceramic, containing amongst other subtances barium carbonate, kaolin, traces of manganese (other ingrediants cannot be divuldged due various security restrictions as this product has been used during the building of many military establishments, to help keep things silent) then the device is fired slowly into a solid ceramic block. Measuring just 230mm L x 110mm W x 76mm H, this handsome device will sit unobstrusivley in your listening room and create an auro of silence. Yes when you tell your firends that you payed just $160 for this magical device, you will not believe the silence this creates. Available in a light russet or dirty yellow colour to match your decor.
Have Fun:D

Nope sorry, ethernet is galvonicly isolated, look up the interface, also in the magnetics are common mode chokes. And the signals are transmitted as differential pairs coupled to each other, the ground plane ends at the magnetics....
This realy is an audiophile myth, it also wont transmit jitter, and finaly all data is buffered at the transceiver, all directions and sent as packets, along with any other network traffic.......

Yes I was aware it is galvanicaly isolated, one of the reasons I chose a network player a few years back; galvanic isolation isn't always perfect at high frequencies. In the case of ethernet the isolators are transformers and have primary to secondary capacitance.

Ha Ha:)
Not to be outdone though Marce Enterprises have developed the Ceramic Quantum Silence Enhanser, a special blend ceramic, containing amongst other subtances barium carbonate, kaolin, traces of manganese (other ingrediants cannot be divuldged due various security restrictions as this product has been used during the building of many military establishments, to help keep things silent) then the device is fired slowly into a solid ceramic block. Measuring just 230mm L x 110mm W x 76mm H, this handsome device will sit unobstrusivley in your listening room and create an auro of silence. Yes when you tell your firends that you payed just $160 for this magical device, you will not believe the silence this creates. Available in a light russet or dirty yellow colour to match your decor.
Have Fun:D

Are you making an oblique comment on the cranial contents of your debating partners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV-ASc0qkrM

One really needs to get into the "everything matters" frame of mind to really make headway in improving sound to the optimum level ...

It's not about the integrity of the signal during transmission, it's about the fact that quality of the signal in terms of how easy it is to process and decode will vary, depending upon everything. Yes, it will always be decoded 100% correctly, but the circuitry doing this work will follow a different pattern of electrical activity while doing the decoding. If you hook up a storage scope or two to all these electricals the behavioural "picture" here will change when something is changed in the transmission path. So, if the analogue side of things is "spooked" in any way by transmission related circuitry functioning, any sort of interference effect, then the sound will change ...

Yes, shouldn't be, poor engineering, sloppy implementation, all the excuses, but the fact remains we are dealing with cheap as chips consumer goods ...

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.