XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2012, 06:11 PM   #981
diyAudio Member

Hi folks,

does somebody know how to connect the masterclock to an buffalo II DAC? What mods are necessary?

Thx a lot in advance!
Old 16th July 2012, 08:06 AM   #982
diyAudio Member

Hello guys,
is there anyone that have WaveIO card connected to BII DAC to give some advices to WhiteBull ?
Thank you,
L
Old 16th July 2012, 08:53 AM   #983
diyAudio Member

Location: Madrid - Capital of the Kingdom of Spain / Chamberí, newest state in Europe ;-)
I think that if you read the thread from Iancanada (FIFO board) in this forum, you´ll find some useful information for your purpose:

htthttp://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gr...group-buy.html

Ian himself has clocked asynchronously a Buffalo III with his FIFO board (I am talking from memory), there might be some pics within the thread. He has made for sure clock adapters for BuffaloIII ....

cheers
Pepe
Old 16th July 2012, 09:12 AM   #984
diyAudio Member

I think the BIII is the first of the TPA ESS based dacs to offer the mclk pads under the onboard clock chip, so while its a good reference its not as applicable for the BII unfortunately. qusp has a BII, he may drop by at some point and point you in the right direction, I can't remember if he's done anything with master clock on the BII though since he uses ackodacs as well.
Old 16th July 2012, 09:20 AM   #985
diyAudio Member

Location: Madrid - Capital of the Kingdom of Spain / Chamberí, newest state in Europe ;-)
I found the thread with pictures... here you´ll find it:

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th July 2012, 09:31 AM   #986
diyAudio Member

Those adapters are nice ... but ... the BII uses a different input header for the I2S signals. That adapter will only work with a BIII AFAIK.
Old 16th July 2012, 09:36 AM   #987
diyAudio Member

@hochopepper: you are very right, Twistedpear left a backdoor in the BuffaloIII for the sync mode. There is a 3 pin socket underneath:

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

and here is how it looks like when connected:

Cheers,
Pepe
Old 16th July 2012, 01:17 PM   #988
diyAudio Member

Default Yup...

I am synchronously clocking my B-II from an external async USB receiver. Here is how: First, depower the onboard oscillator by either removing the Trident regulator for it, or, if you are using the onboard regs, remove the appropriate inductor on the underside of the board to de-power the oscilator. Next (this is optional, it will work without removal, but I advise removing it because it will be in parallel with the new masterclock) remove the onboard oscillator. Now you will have exposed all the clock pads on the board and should be able to figure out how to hook up the MC feed from the Wave IO: I added a micro BNC jack directly to the board with some tricky soldering and using some kapton tape to block some of the pads from shorting the hot pin-I was able to solder the hot pad of the micro BNC directly to the hot pad of the MC position, and get one side of the ground pad of the micro BNC to solder to the ground pad. The other ground pad on the micro BNC was insulated from the board with kapton tape (otherwise it would have shorted to the hot pad).
If you just want to try synchronous clocking without removing the onboard oscillator, you can just supply the hot pin of the Wave IO masterclock to the pad on the B-II marked R-17, on the side where the trace goes into the ESS chip-it will work fine without ground for testing purposes.
Old 16th July 2012, 02:47 PM   #989
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Next (this is optional, it will work without removal, but I advise removing it because it will be in parallel with the new masterclock) remove the onboard oscillator.
I would strongly recommend against removing the XO.

You can access the same pads from underneath the board. Since you are likely to destroy the XO when removing it, unless you have a hot air rework station and know what you are doing, you will be unable to go back (if needed) and could easily damage the board in the process. I don't want to see people accidentally killing their DACs.

The XO output is high-impedance when not powered, so there is no downside to leaving it in place.

V1.0.2 of the Buffalo-III has the MCLK pads off to the side of the XO.
Attached Images
File Type: png B3_MCLK.png (45.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 16th July 2012, 02:59 PM   #990
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
I would strongly recommend against removing the XO.

You can access the same pads from underneath the board. Since you are likely to destroy the XO when removing it, unless you have a hot air rework station and know what you are doing, you will be unable to go back (if needed) and could easily damage the board in the process. I don't want to see people accidentally killing their DACs.

The XO output is high-impedance when not powered, so there is no downside to leaving it in place.

V1.0.2 of the Buffalo-III has the MCLK pads off to the side of the XO.
Brian, but the question was re the B-II. And yes, without proper tools it is unlikely that one would be able to remove the oscillator module without damage. B-III is much easier to manage for synchronous clocking, thanks for that! But it can be done on the B-II as well, one just has to be careful...

Hide this!Advertise here!