XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2012, 10:30 PM   #941
krautxy is offline krautxy  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default 3,3 Volt supply

you don't need a sophisticated charger. You can charge to 3,4 V for 80% capacity and don't need to drop the voltage for usage. At 3,4 V the batteries stays at room temperature and will last more than 1000 cycles.
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:13 AM   #942
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have ordered a buffalo III and plan to use it with my waveio. I am trying to figure out if I should use the isolated outputs or not. Since the jitter reduction of the es9018 is supposed to be very good would the best solution be to use the isolated outputs? I will then get the isolation from the USB connection and the extra jitter introduced by the isolator will be taken care of by the es9018?

What is your opinion?
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:46 AM   #943
henri47 is offline henri47  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hello ENSen,
After listening to the BuffIII with WaveIO for several months now, there is in my opinion no perceptible difference in sound quality between micro-coax or NVE isolator output. BUT: this is only my opinion. I did not have measured it. Maybe other members could shine their light on this.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:41 AM   #944
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey ENsen,

You could also pick up a FIFO from iancanada on his GB II? They are running in sync mode to the Buff III using the MClk from the FIFO. It has a clock for each freq band and it's multiple.
Ill be doing this once it arrives.
Source is an Alix 2D2(mpdpup)> WaveIO> FIFO> B III> tube I/V. Will see how it goes.

Just a thought!
Old 2nd July 2012, 04:26 PM   #945
diyAudio Member

Do you think that kind of battery will be OK for interface?:

Speed Power online store

I think it should last for 10-15 hours of listening before recharging? There would be no problem with voltage drop during that time? I only tried gel acumulators 6v or 12V but its too much for XMOS interface and I would rather avoid any regulators.
Can I buy that linked battery and be sure its enough for interface? Thank you.
Old 2nd July 2012, 04:33 PM   #946
diyAudio Member

Default ENsen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENSen View Post
I have ordered a buffalo III and plan to use it with my waveio. I am trying to figure out if I should use the isolated outputs or not. Since the jitter reduction of the es9018 is supposed to be very good would the best solution be to use the isolated outputs? I will then get the isolation from the USB connection and the extra jitter introduced by the isolator will be taken care of by the es9018?

What is your opinion?
Something to consider: you may also want to try using your B-III in synchronous clocking mode with the Wave IO. To do this, you remove the Trident reg which powers the B-III's onboard master clock, and then provide the masterclock from the Wave IO. Running the ESS chip this way disables the chip's asynchronous sample rate converter and DPLL, and some believe the ESS DAC sounds better (more natural, better timbre) running this way (but only if the source is low jitter in the first place). You can find details on how to do this in the B-III threads.

My preference with my B-II (and a different XMOS USB interface) is to use synchronous clocking, and a non isolated interface between USB receiver and DAC. Then I power my USB receiver board with two isolated supplies (one solely for the oscillators) and turn off the +5VDC power from the computer side. Try it, with a low jitter source, you really do not "need" the ESS' "jitter reduction", and that "jitter reduction" circuitry may be doing more harm than good.
Old 2nd July 2012, 05:53 PM   #947
diyAudio Member

Location: Madrid - Capital of the Kingdom of Spain / Chamberí, newest state in Europe ;-)
Dear Lucian,

I received my board today and have no words enough to thank you.

The packaging is excellent, the board itself very well designed and crafted, and last but not least... super duper communication with you made all this experience a very enjoyable one.

Do please sign me up for Revision II, I look forward to getting one of those whenever you have them built.

cheers,
Pepe
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:55 PM   #948
jrling is offline jrling  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

barrows
"and turn off the +5VDC power from the computer side"

Please could you tell me how you do that in Windows 7?

Many thanks
Jonathan
Old 2nd July 2012, 07:25 PM   #949
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri47 View Post
Hello ENSen,
After listening to the BuffIII with WaveIO for several months now, there is in my opinion no perceptible difference in sound quality between micro-coax or NVE isolator output. BUT: this is only my opinion. I did not have measured it. Maybe other members could shine their light on this.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PET-240 View Post
Hey ENsen,

You could also pick up a FIFO from iancanada on his GB II? They are running in sync mode to the Buff III using the MClk from the FIFO. It has a clock for each freq band and it's multiple.
Ill be doing this once it arrives.
Source is an Alix 2D2(mpdpup)> WaveIO> FIFO> B III> tube I/V. Will see how it goes.

Just a thought!
Thanks for the suggestion but I am trying not to add features or projects right now since I do not have the time for it. Otherwise Ian's FIFO would be a very interesting project. For now i will just use the WaveIO and connect it directly to the BIII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Something to consider: you may also want to try using your B-III in synchronous clocking mode with the Wave IO. To do this, you remove the Trident reg which powers the B-III's onboard master clock, and then provide the masterclock from the Wave IO. Running the ESS chip this way disables the chip's asynchronous sample rate converter and DPLL, and some believe the ESS DAC sounds better (more natural, better timbre) running this way (but only if the source is low jitter in the first place). You can find details on how to do this in the B-III threads.

My preference with my B-II (and a different XMOS USB interface) is to use synchronous clocking, and a non isolated interface between USB receiver and DAC. Then I power my USB receiver board with two isolated supplies (one solely for the oscillators) and turn off the +5VDC power from the computer side. Try it, with a low jitter source, you really do not "need" the ESS' "jitter reduction", and that "jitter reduction" circuitry may be doing more harm than good.
I have read about this solution but since I use one coax and three toslink inputs apart from the WaveIO I can not remove the on-board clock (unless I would go for the Ian FIFO solution as per PET-240's suggestion but that will be a future project).
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:04 PM   #950
diyAudio Member

Default USB power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrling View Post
barrows
"and turn off the +5VDC power from the computer side"

Please could you tell me how you do that in Windows 7?

Many thanks
Jonathan

I use a custom music server running Voyage/mpd built for me by Sonore. It has an onboard, audiophile, USB output card, and this card has a switch on the back panel which allows for the USB output voltage to be defeated.
The easiest way to block the USB voltage on an ordinary PC would be to cover the power pin on the computer end USB plug with a small sliver of kapton tape. I have done this before as well, a little fiddley, but it can be done with a pair of tweezers and a steady hand.

Hide this!Advertise here!