XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2012, 11:20 PM   #911
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Its a well thought out design and supports 8 channels, which is unusual. It does not currently support external clocks but that may be a simple firmware tweak to enable.

Jitter must be evaluated as a system. Starting with low jitter is critical, but it can be "screwed up" easily in implementation. The clocks will pass through the XMOS chip in this design (although even that can be altered with firmware I hope) and a buffer on a noisy ground is all it takes to degrade SOTA jitter levels 20+ dB. Depending on the particular DAC the I2S lines may have little influence on the jitter as long as they meet the setup timing requirements.
Old 30th June 2012, 08:17 AM   #912
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I didn't try it yet.
I can't track your card due to the fact that there seems to be some problems with IT post database. Do you have any news about the delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
HI Lorien

I received the waveIO today. Thanks for the excellent work. Both my Mac and Win 7 recognized it without problem.

I connect it to Ian's FIFO via I2S, I can see the "lock" LED on FIFO but the BIII does't lock. Test the signal path by Ian SPDIF and everything work fine. Any advice to diagnose the problem?
Well, I usually try to keep things simple so, for debug only, I would advice you to try to wire WaveIO I2S output port directly to BIII I2S inputs. In addition, if you are using the isolated I2S port, make sure that it's has 3.3V power applied between V+ and "Isol. GND" pins.

Cheers,
L

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
modules arrived!
Thank you for letting me know! I'll mark them as delivered!

Last edited by Lorien; 30th June 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 30th June 2012, 10:56 AM   #913
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
I can't track your card due to the fact that there seems to be some problems with IT post database. Do you have any news about the delivery?
I got it last monday. The pcb is beautiful
I'm waiting to build the psu, as I wont even hook it up usb-powered.

I also use xxhighend player, so KS at 176.4k is very important to me as well, and I hope the 24 bit issue will be resolved soon. Til then i'll use only hardware attenuation.
Old 30th June 2012, 05:02 PM   #914
diyAudio Member

You didn't awnser me about latency of the asio driver and how much sample buffer it can be set without failing..

DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND.. wish people would try to understand what all people producing music do... when they sell stuff to them..

it's not only audiophiles anymore... comprende

low latency asio driver running at 64-128sample is a must
also playback with asio should take the least amount of CPU..

it actually need to compete with RME and LYNX soundcard for the asio drivers, stability and CPU usage..

Also about jitter your saying there will be jitter induce by the master clock but your XMOS board have the master clock and force you to use this one.. So i guess it depends what people used as master clock on their xmos board.. it's kinda limiting to force the use of the onboard master clock..
Old 30th June 2012, 05:09 PM   #915
diyAudio Member

Default hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolic View Post
You didn't awnser me about latency of the asio driver and how much sample buffer it can be set without failing..

DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND.. wish people would try to understand what all people producing music do... when they sell stuff to them..

low latency asio driver running at 64-128sample is a must
also playback with asio should take the least amount of CPU..

it actually need to compete with RME and LYNX soundcard for the asio drivers, stability and CPU usage..

Also about jitter your saying there will be jitter induce by the master clock but your XMOS board have the master clock and force you to use this one.. So i guess it depends what people used as master clock on their xmos board.. it's kinda limiting to force the use of the onboard master clock..
It sounds like you are looking for a pro audio soundcard, perhaps Lorien created the Wave IO for DIY audiophiles, not for recording engineers? It just seems like this is not the product for you, nothing wrong with that, it just was not created to suit your use.
Old 30th June 2012, 05:40 PM   #916
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

USB is not ideal for low latency applications. The USB architecture imposes a minimum latency that is much higher than PCI can achieve. I believe its 1 mS. It may be possible to get it to 250 uS. This seems to be an issue with PCIe as well to a much lesser degree and may just be intrinsic to serial interfaces. No easy or even hard work-arounds. The high speed serial interfaces are unidirectional in their communications with a certain amount of time to process and react required for a full duplex communication. All of the new interfaces (USB3, Thunderbolt, PCIe, etc.) have this same architectural limitation.
Old 30th June 2012, 06:21 PM   #917
diyAudio Member

@audiolic I apologies if I didn't answer to your question earlier! There are few reasons for not doing this: in your earlier duplicate post (well, almost) you are referring to a product that it's outside of my knowledge, moreover, you're upset on companies that are not willing to share those infos that you are asking about. Well, please note that I'm NOT a company, just a simple guy that loves what is doing and wants to share it with rest of those who wants to accept it.
About recordings, I want to remind you that WaveIO card wasn't built for it just for playback only! (it doesn't have I2S DATA inputs) and, speaking of latency.. if I have to reclock a thousand time all the I2S signals just to met what I believe I have to achieve then I'll do it without care too much on latency.

Quote:
it is for me, according to my believes
In the end, I suggest to address your request to those who are producing the card in question or their driver's manufacturer hoping that they will answer you...

Kind regards,
Lucian

Last edited by Lorien; 30th June 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 30th June 2012, 09:02 PM   #918
diyAudio Member

Got my WaveIO-Board with Buffalo III and Broskie-Unbalancer working tonight...first nothing came, both the 3.3V trick did it...one question: sep. PSU for the 3.3V (as I have it today) or from the DAC-Board ? What is best practise ?
Old 30th June 2012, 09:34 PM   #919
henri47 is offline henri47  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Why should you use a 3,3V PSU? Preferably, give WaveIO a good, separate 5V low-noise PSU. You could take the 5V from the Placid, but then consider to place larger heathsinks on it. I've build a separate PSU with Belleson superregulators. It works flawlessly. If you follow Lucian's advice you can't go wrong
kind regards and success with your build
Henri
Old 30th June 2012, 10:52 PM   #920
diyAudio Member

3.3v are needs for the isolator...as stated above and i experienced this as well....

Hide this!Advertise here!