XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2012, 12:44 PM   #881
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

According to Idolse(mpdpup) his Audiophilleo does the same. The question is whether it will do on every boot. Must be something in the firmware that mutes it? I know not much about USB, so I know not what comms goes back and forth, but can alsa be setup to never mute? Is there a line in the config that can be # so it doesn't mute at all?
I know a little more about Linux than I do USB stuff.

But I can ask questions!

Thanks,

Drew.
Old 9th June 2012, 01:09 PM   #882
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

PET-240
You only need to change it once. It will retain its setting from boot to boot.
I have made the change and rebooted several times. No problem.
Walter
Old 9th June 2012, 03:20 PM   #883
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
PET-240
You only need to change it once. It will retain its setting from boot to boot.
I have made the change and rebooted several times. No problem.
Walter
On my Alix with VoyageMPD it does not retain its setting. I had to do the fix I posted earlier this thread.
Old 9th June 2012, 09:23 PM   #884
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Walter,

Have you got any of the LEDs working? I just have one on solid. No idea when the machine is actually booted.

Any thoughts?
Old 10th June 2012, 02:50 PM   #885
diyAudio Member

Default LED s

PET-240
We should take this over to the mpdpup site. I have not timed it but my Alix boots in 1 or 2 minutes. Will depend a bit on speed of your CF. I am running a kingston 4gb card at x133. During the boot up you will see some activity on the Alix leds and on your router. If I am in a rush it just try to log on with ssh or connect from gmpc on my client machine. These take a few seconds to time out and report an error if it is not fully booted. If Alix just sits there and does not have any led activity, you likely have a problem with the CF and need to reload the livecd.
Old 10th June 2012, 02:57 PM   #886
diyAudio Member

Default alsamixer mute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENSen View Post
On my Alix with VoyageMPD it does not retain its setting. I had to do the fix I posted earlier this thread.
Running mpdpup, I find it retained the alsa mute between reboots. I did have one occasion where it went back to the muted default. I believe this was after I powered down the WaveIO without powering off the Alix.

On VoyageMPD it always retained the setting, but then again I think I always powered both the WaveIO and Alix from the same power source so perhaps that is the key.
Walter
Old 10th June 2012, 03:01 PM   #887
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi
I want to report that my problem of drop out is finally solved by using a puppy linux os that is about 125 mb in size and runs inside the ram of the pc !

I have started a thread here
Dummyś guide for audio with SLACKO puppy linux os

thanks for the pointers

regards

kp93300
Old 11th June 2012, 04:34 AM   #888
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default Raspberry Pi

Hi
see this link

FAQs | Raspberry Pi

I quote :
" How powerful is it?

The GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode.

The GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24 GFLOPs of general purpose compute and features a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.

That is, graphics capabilities are roughly equivalent to Xbox 1 level of performance. Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics. " Unquote

Can anybody offer a opinion whether the processing power of this this minipc is enough for 24/192 files

thanks
kp93300
Old 11th June 2012, 05:52 AM   #889
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
Running mpdpup, I find it retained the alsa mute between reboots. I did have one occasion where it went back to the muted default. I believe this was after I powered down the WaveIO without powering off the Alix.

On VoyageMPD it always retained the setting, but then again I think I always powered both the WaveIO and Alix from the same power source so perhaps that is the key.
Walter
I had WaveIO powered from usb when I did discovered this problem. That probably explains the different behaviour.
Old 11th June 2012, 05:02 PM   #890
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi
see this link

FAQs | Raspberry Pi

I quote :
" How powerful is it?

The GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode.

The GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24 GFLOPs of general purpose compute and features a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.

That is, graphics capabilities are roughly equivalent to Xbox 1 level of performance. Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics. " Unquote

Can anybody offer a opinion whether the processing power of this this minipc is enough for 24/192 files

thanks
kp93300
The data you posted is for the GPU (graphics processing unit). The GPU is an extra processor that handles the graphics output. It has nothing to do with audio output. The Raspberry Pi has a 700 Mhz ARM processor and since my Alix has a 500Mhz processor and can play 24/192 files without problems my guess is that the Raspberry will have no problem doing it.

One thing one should be aware of is that not all operating systems can be used on the Raspberry since it has an ARM processor. The OS must be compiled for ARM processors if it should work. For example VoyageMPD is one example that will not run on an ARM processor (as far as I know)

Playing 24/192 files is actually not a very demanding task. The problem you had with dropouts probably has nothing to do with processing power but it is more likely that some device has a crappy Windows driver that sometimes will use the CPU a little too long. I have experienced the same problem with a powerful HP laptop.

Hide this!Advertise here!