XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 88 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2012, 12:50 AM   #871
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENSen View Post
How long is your USB cable?
Hi,
My USB cable is 1.2 metres.
I think I am making some headway.
I use msconfig to disable all the start up entries and manage to play one track of 24/96 file without dropout.

I am looking for info to learn how to set up win7 for audio use.
Some useful into here
Computer Audiophile - Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S. v2.0
Any other link would be appreciated.

Eventually i want to learn linux audio .

thanks

kp93300
Old 6th June 2012, 05:37 AM   #872
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey kp,

Just got my Alix 2D2 booted with mpdpup, really not that hard with the wizards that have been created, and it saw the WaveIO no worries, much less worry than waiting for EMS to update the shipping info!

Obviously Lucian, it arrived today!

Waiting to attach to dac, IV stage is yet to be built as yet too, so noise is a little ways off........except I just realized the Wave outputs SPDIF..........hmmmmmm HT receiver has SPDIF inputs...........I will Terminate and be back!

Sometime.......the joys of running your own business!

Don't be scared of Linux, google mpdpup and it is very easy to install to USB stick, should boot from there I think, you may be able to try on your PC!

Cheers,

Drew.
Old 6th June 2012, 09:12 AM   #873
diyAudio Member

Thank you Drew for update! About EMS, your parcel was dispatched on 15.05.2012 and it arrived today (06/06/12)... and they say about EMS to be a fast service! Not to mention that there were two weeks when nobody knew what's happen to it nor where it is (lack of infos in EMS database). I have three different parcels for Australia that had the benefit of this "fast" shipping and that's enough for me. Costs does not reflect the quality of services thus I think is better to adopt the "standard" alternative for Australia since, compared to EMS, results seems to be the same... but comes with lower prices.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited by Lorien; 6th June 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 8th June 2012, 01:09 AM   #874
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PET-240 View Post
Hey kp,

Just got my Alix 2D2 booted with mpdpup, really not that hard with the wizards that have been created, and it saw the WaveIO no worries, much less worry than waiting for EMS to update the shipping info!

Drew.
Hi Drew, Thanks for drawing my attention to mpdpup. Very easy to load. I too use Alix with WaveIO. I got sample sound during configuration. It loaded my DB and clearly is playing but no sound. Did you have same problem? I know on VoyageMPD it came up with alsa muted first boot, but I can't find Alsomixer on this to unmute.

Ideas?
Walter
Old 8th June 2012, 02:10 AM   #875
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey Walter,

Still yet to play as well. havent got to make music mainly cause i havent connected to dac as yet. Have you got the leds connected as yet? Try posting on the forum as mpdpup, Idolse will likelt get back to you soonest, then there is a record for all of us!
Sorting the gear for connection today, so hopefully over the weekend will have a result!
Old 8th June 2012, 06:27 AM   #876
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
Hi Drew, Thanks for drawing my attention to mpdpup. Very easy to load. I too use Alix with WaveIO. I got sample sound during configuration. It loaded my DB and clearly is playing but no sound. Did you have same problem? I know on VoyageMPD it came up with alsa muted first boot, but I can't find Alsomixer on this to unmute.

Ideas?
Walter
Type
cat /proc/asound/cards
And post the result here.
Old 8th June 2012, 06:45 AM   #877
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Ideas?
Walter
Type
cat /proc/asound/cards
And post the result here.
Old 9th June 2012, 03:26 AM   #878
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default mpdpup problem resolved

Turned out to be alsa mute. I could not figure out how to get alsamixer to run. Turns out command
"amixer -c 1"
got it to go. with that, I could toggle mute on each channel and its now perfect, thanks

Highly recommend mpdpup on ALIX board. Nothing could be easier, Download to music in under an hour. And yet you get bitperfect power of linux/mpd/alsa in 60mb on a dead quiet pc that costs $90. Awesome combined with WaveIO. Of course you need a router ($19) and a NAS (WDMybook$110). Dirt cheap high end transport with 1TB library. Controlled remote via iphone/pad or android. Amazing world in which we live!
Old 9th June 2012, 04:04 AM   #879
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi wlowes
Can you post some pictures of your set up ?
I am now tinkering with slacko puppy linux and this message is typed based on this linux that is about 125 mb and stored in the ram !
It recognise wave io driver but i have not been able to get sound yet .

thanks

kp93300
Old 9th June 2012, 12:13 PM   #880
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Turned out to be alsa mute. I could not figure out how to get alsamixer to run. Turns out command
"amixer -c 1"
got it to go. with that, I could toggle mute on each channel and its now perfect, thanks

Highly recommend mpdpup on ALIX board. Nothing could be easier, Download to music in under an hour. And yet you get bitperfect power of linux/mpd/alsa in 60mb on a dead quiet pc that costs $90. Awesome combined with WaveIO. Of course you need a router ($19) and a NAS (WDMybook$110). Dirt cheap high end transport with 1TB library. Controlled remote via iphone/pad or android. Amazing world in which we live!
Glad to hear you found the problem.

It seems that alsa always mutes WaveIO by default. It never happens with my other DAC connected. I wonder what the reason could be?

Hide this!Advertise here!