XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 85 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2012, 01:12 AM   #841
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

RSDIO, Barrows:
This does pretty much what Barrows described Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

There are tricks for resyncronizing so the sync issue won't bite, as long as the source isn't too far off tolerance. One trick is to watch for digital silence and reset there. Another is to reset the clock frequency at digital silence to match the approx incoming sample rate. If the clocks match pretty closely (not a difficult proposition) they you could play for a very long time before its an issue. NuForce uses a technique like this in their new digital stuff.

I have inadvertently ran a pro audio DAC with an internal clock option set to internal clock (open loop) and got a glitch every 5-10 minutes. There was no synchronization at all and it worked pretty well with a $150 computer interface card driving it. Took a while to figure out what the problem was.

If the clocks meet the AES standard (5ppm) then you would have 200,000 frames (word clocks) before you got a glitch: about 5 minutes on the back of my envelope. If you used high precision (.5 ppm) clocks you may never get a glitch. The track would stop and restart before its an issue.
Old 28th May 2012, 05:17 PM   #842
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default 2nd attempt at integrating wave io

Hi
This is my second attempt at trying to use wave io.
Wave io works well with buffalo 2 and give an excellent sound. thanks to Lorien.
However, there is an intermittent drop out .
I am using window 7 in an atom based fanless pc and the player is itune. I have stopped the antivirus .
I am new to pc audio and hope someone will point me towards correct reading material to optimise window for audio.
attached is my set up

thanks

kp93300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-28_23-59-43.jpg (389.2 KB, 501 views)
Old 28th May 2012, 05:24 PM   #843
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi
This is my second attempt at trying to use wave io.
Wave io works well with buffalo 2 and give an excellent sound. thanks to Lorien.
I am using window 7 in an atom based fanless pc and the player is itune. I have stopped the antivirus .
I am new to pc audio and hope someone will point me towards correct reading material to optimise window for audio.
attached is my set up

thanks

kp93300
Try J River using WASAPI Event Style output. You can try it for 30 days I believe. Never had any skips using this player and the combination of my other equipment.

I just wouldn't use iTune as a good player in Windows...

Do
Old 28th May 2012, 05:38 PM   #844
bonalux is offline bonalux  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.massimo View Post
I'm very interested in this thing. I'm waiting for a ADuM4160 isolator to be delivered and this incompatibility could be a problem, if confirmed. Is there anyone who have used ADuM4160+WaveIO successfully?
ADUM4160 only works in USB 1.0 or 1.1 mode, so i think there's no way it can work with WaveIO.
Anyway i've tried an ADUM4160 in the past (with a PCM2707, a USB 1.0 receiver) and only obtained a muffled sound, really unlistenable and sold it immediately.

Cheers.
Old 28th May 2012, 06:10 PM   #845
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
raise the buffer to max.
Old 28th May 2012, 06:13 PM   #846
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonalux View Post
. . . I've tried an ADUM4160 in the past (with a PCM2707, a USB 1.0 receiver) and only obtained a muffled sound, really unlistenable
Then I'm afraid you must have had it set up wrong for whatever reason. I drove a PCM2707 via a ADuM4160 for over two years with excellent results and know of many others who have had similar results, inc folk who use them at 96KHz/24-bit on Macs. Where it is appropriate, it works well.

That said, let's not get too hung up on the thing - straight out the box, the WaveIO is way, way ahead of any PCM270x implementation with or without USB isolation. In any case, the WaveIO provides isolation on the I2S bus which some designers say is the better place to have it.
Old 28th May 2012, 06:25 PM   #847
diyAudio Member

The ADUM4160 is only for low speed and full speed USB. No 480 Mbps mode. I grilled my ADI guy about a 480 Mbps and its not even on the roadmap for now. UAC2 really requires High Speed USB to work.
Old 28th May 2012, 06:56 PM   #848
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
The ADUM4160 is only for low speed and full speed USB. No 480 Mbps mode.
Thanks for the info but I think we're pretty well clear on that.
Quote:
I grilled my ADI guy about a 480 Mbps and its not even on the roadmap for now. UAC2 really requires High Speed USB to work
What I'm not so clear about is what USB speeds the device uses at lower data rates - not everyone uses or wants to use 24/192. I haven't found an answer in Xmos literature or elsewhere but I'm not looking very hard either - see my last post. I'm very happy with the WaveIO as it is.
Old 28th May 2012, 09:50 PM   #849
reo is offline reo  Canada
diyAudio Member

in window's world all motherboards have on board or external audio card, therefore a proprietary software is included with such a audio card, therefore that audio software, plus the WaveI/O driver software, makes for 1 software too many., if one wants to bypass the first audio card software then head for the PC's bios and turn it off. It's not required if one is using Wave I/O, the USB data will have one less algorithm to deal with. the end result will be same sound signature emanating from any window's platform and that includes linux.
Foobar is really apt to handle many many codex which are included in the player itself, it's simplicity yet sophisticated formats delivers. to keep it simple one can use Wav format to record incoming signal which will be and sound exactly as, what you hear is what you get, that includes from online streaming to recording cd's .
Old 29th May 2012, 04:57 AM   #850
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryelands View Post
What I'm not so clear about is what USB speeds the device uses at lower data rates - not everyone uses or wants to use 24/192. I haven't found an answer in Xmos literature or elsewhere but I'm not looking very hard either - see my last post. I'm very happy with the WaveIO as it is.
UAC1 and UAC2 are enough different that the device can't switch dynamically between them. In UAC2 it seems all the communications are at high speed even for a 44.1 file. It sort of makes sense because negotiating a high speed link is a little involved and you don't want to switch once engaged. UAC reserves some bandwidth for the audio stream (what they mean by isochronous) so the audio won't get hammered by a disk transfer on the same host. At lower data throughput it probably releases more bandwidth for other transfers.

Hide this!Advertise here!