XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2012, 11:57 AM   #621
diyAudio Member

Location: Madrid - Capital of the Kingdom of Spain / Chamberí, newest state in Europe ;-)
Dear Lorien,

I would love to know if you have still boards available (USB to I2S). That´d be 1 unit shipped to Spain.

Thanks
Pepe
Old 25th April 2012, 03:54 PM   #622
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.massimo View Post

I've just received Lucian's board.
First thing to say is about Lucian, a very kind person, and then, excellent packaging and quick shipping. The card manufacturing is of high quality, professional, I'd say.
So I guess you've now got the components you were waiting for Lucien? Really looking forward to getting my board!
Old 26th April 2012, 09:02 AM   #623
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk tony View Post
So I guess you've now got the components you were waiting for Lucien? Really looking forward to getting my board!
Hi Tony, I suppose there's a misunderstanding. I never posted in this thread about WaveIO. All the messages with Lucian were on a private basis. However I got the board in a month or so after payment.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:47 PM   #624
diyAudio Member

I'm curious to know about users experiences with different DAC kits. I would like to purchase a WaveIO board.

I don't mind building from a kit, however I do not have the necessary expertise to design or fabricate PCB. I would also prefer not to bread board the unit.

I saw this site: Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit which seems to sell many DAC kits.

I would appreciate any recommendations!

If you have experience with pre-built DACs that take I2S that would be interesting also. I would eventually like for these units to be inside enclosures.

I personally own a Schiit Bifrost and an Ibasso D7. I feel like this could be an interesting project and I require another DAC for my dedicated stereo.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:18 PM   #625
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post

Have someone build a comparison test with coax output and IL715 outputs ?
t
I would like to hear this opinion too from others who have tested at this area...
Old 27th April 2012, 06:33 AM   #626
diyAudio Member

Default Opus 8740

A question for Wolfsin or whoever is successfully using WaveIO with a TP Opus 8740 module.
I don't get any output from the dac (but the module works fine with Teralink X2 I2S output) and WaveIO output clocks signals seems ok (non-isolated).
Which hardware setting are you using on Opus8740 with WaveIO?
Mine is a typical stereo (I2S high, dsd low, deemph low, mode low, iwo high, diffhw low, fsel off, mute off, osr off)
Thanks.
Old 27th April 2012, 06:57 AM   #627
diyAudio Member

I don't think Wolfsin has actually connected to the 8740 modules yet.

I am hoping to try it out with 8741 within the next week or so, exact timing depends how the power supply testing goes tomorrow. No smoke could mean I'll have feedback in a few days.

I think pinocchio was doing something with WaveIO and Opus boards ... haven't heard about any results yet though.
Old 27th April 2012, 07:25 AM   #628
diyAudio Member

Default Opus 8740 again

Well, reading 8740 and 8741 datasheets I noted this peculiar difference:

The WM8740 supports data input word lenghts from 16 to 24 bits and sampling rates up to 192 kHz

The WM8741 supports PCM data input word lenghts from 16 to 32 bits and sampling rates up to 192 kHz

If I'm not wrong, I remember that Lucian told that WaveIO I2S output is 32bits.

Could it be that difference the problem with 8740?

Last edited by m.massimo; 27th April 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 27th April 2012, 07:54 AM   #629
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I'm not wrong, I remember that Lucian told that WaveIO I2S output is 32bits.
Yes, but from that 32 bits only 24 are used. I2S Data is left aligned (except the first bit after the Left/Right transition) while the rest of them are zero padded. You can see descriptions of I2S interface here, at page 13 (bottom) and here, at page 23, below the I2S Mode paragraph.
At first sight you ave to make sure that your DAC chip has Audio Input format configured to 24-bit I2S data (pin 28 & pin 23 = High).
Kind regards,
L
Old 27th April 2012, 09:04 AM   #630
diyAudio Member

Default Opus 8740 + WaveIO now works

Problem seems solved.
I used I2S cables lenght of 170mm at the beginning in order to have the chance to be able to move the board in case of need.
I've cut the cable to 70mm and now I got analogue output on the scope.
With X2 I used a I2S cat5 cable of about 150mm with no problem, so I started with a similar length, but it's clearly not sustainable in this new setup.
Thank to Lucian for the time dedicated and help by mail.

Last edited by m.massimo; 27th April 2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

Hide this!Advertise here!