Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2012, 09:33 PM   #581
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

wlowes:

I have the Alix running with Voyage MPD. It took me less than 30 minutes to get it up and running and I am far from a linux guru. The Voyage manual was very good.

Make sure you have commented out the format line in the mpd config ( ~/.mpdconf) like this;

audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "WaveIO"
device "hw:0,0" # optional
# format "44100:16:2" # optional
}

If you do not do so mpd will resample everything to 44.1kHz.
Old 14th April 2012, 01:08 PM   #582
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

ENSen
That's very encouraging. My CF card with VoyageMPD preloaded is somewhere between HK and Canada. I have the music loaded on the NAS.

How does it sound? I am playing around with mpd.conf settings for secret rabbit code. Next up SOX.

What buffer size are people having best results with? I find higher values 32k or 64k preferable to the 2048 levels suggested in many posts.
Old 14th April 2012, 01:30 PM   #583
diyAudio Member

Since I have not yet mounted my WaveIO in my DIY dac I have only used the Alix with my commercial DAC which has a very poor USB input. It is clearly there only because someone decided they should have a USB input but they did not put any effort on it. So the only comment I can give regarding sound is that the ALIX itself is totaly quiet (no fans and no HDD)! Which is a big difference to the computer I used as music server before.
Old 14th April 2012, 02:36 PM   #584
diyAudio Member

I hooked my WaveIO to the beagle bone and linux by usb to see how the drivers would react. 100% success from a software point of view. Device detected and presents to alsa as should be expected.

The version of linux shipping with current beagle bones gives linux 3.2.5 and alsa 1.0.24.2.

From my quick perusal of the voyagempd website it shouldn't be too hard to replicate their tweaks onto the beagle boards. Primary difference is that they are targeting x86 devices where I think ARM devices are more suited to these lower powered devices, most likely no audible differences though.
Old 15th April 2012, 07:44 AM   #585
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

so I know the speeds on these ARM type devices arent massive, but given a trim linux boot, what sort of equivalent performance are we looking at? just wondering if you could even go so far as to load something like brutfir and use one of the vector processor addons to accelerate it and have an excellent little crossover machine
Old 15th April 2012, 10:52 AM   #586
diyAudio Member

The most interesting Alix alternative for me right now would be the Raspberry Pi but maybe we are moving a little too far OT here.
Old 15th April 2012, 03:11 PM   #587
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah that was our plan too (hochopeper and I are aligned in our needs somewhat so working together) but the multiple delays and mistakes didnt really instill confidence, I suppose I might still buy one and we can use which works out best in the final solution; theyre that cheap its not a big deal.
Old 15th April 2012, 09:58 PM   #588
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
so I know the speeds on these ARM type devices arent massive, but given a trim linux boot, what sort of equivalent performance are we looking at? just wondering if you could even go so far as to load something like brutfir and use one of the vector processor addons to accelerate it and have an excellent little crossover machine
Why would you even want to run Linux on a crossover? Just implement the FIR as the only code running - I don't see the need for any other processing to run at the same time.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:40 AM   #589
diyAudio Member

Default alternate power sources for WAVE IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
[...]
i would stay away from buying things that claim to be official A123 on ebay. also i can probably put you in contact with my source, i just cant post here and you'll probably have to buy 10.

its borderline OT, but i dont really think this post is, we are discussing alternate power sources for WAVE IO.
To all,

Need some original AR26650? See: Marktplaats.nl > A123 LiFepo4 Accu ar26650 - Hobby en Vrije tijd - Modelbouw | Radiografisch | Vliegtuigen en Helikopters

Cheers,
E.
Old 16th April 2012, 07:24 PM   #590
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Today I have shed a tear, maybe two... My WaveIO arrived and it is beautiful!!!

Thanks Lucian

I will be playing with this as soon as I have my I/V completed

Ciao!
Do

Hide this!Advertise here!