XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2012, 07:17 PM   #551
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default one last thing

I forgot to ask if anyone could recommend a USB to i2c converter. They are all over eBay and the web but all of them require a driver so if someone has run DPClat during an ongoing i2c conversation and knows one model to be particularly good while WaveIO is playing 192/24 . . .

Surely the time is not far off when a beagle board or something similar will be able to handle UPNP, stream i2s to dac(s), control the dac(s) registers thru i2c, and cost much less than $300 but I hope to listen to more music and write less code between now and then
Old 1st April 2012, 07:33 AM   #552
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsin View Post
I forgot to ask if anyone could recommend a USB to i2c converter. They are all over eBay and the web but all of them require a driver so if someone has run DPClat during an ongoing i2c conversation and knows one model to be particularly good while WaveIO is playing 192/24 . . .

Surely the time is not far off when a beagle board or something similar will be able to handle UPNP, stream i2s to dac(s), control the dac(s) registers thru i2c, and cost much less than $300 but I hope to listen to more music and write less code between now and then
I have no i2c recommendations unfortunately, haven't used any of them.

I will be using a beagle bone in much the way that you suggest in my headphone system though.

My plan is to have beagle bone act as usb host and drive audio through WaveIO into DAC. At the same time have spi/i2c control the dac and a local display and eventually a web based ui through the ethernet port for set of different DAC filters/registers that are not interacted with as often.

My preference is not to use UPNP though, MPD will fill this role for me.
Old 1st April 2012, 03:08 PM   #553
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wishes and acknowledgements

Let me add one more restriction on the USB to i2c converter -- I must be able to power it externally. While I am at it I might as well wish for one that could fool the Wolfson evaluation software into driving the DACs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
My preference is not to use UPNP though, MPD will fill this role for me.
My experience with UPNP has not been smooth and it is only fair to acknowledge Chris as my source of ideas for what will supplant the current overkill sitiuation. I am aiming at a poor man's Akurate.
Old 1st April 2012, 03:11 PM   #554
diyAudio Member

Nothing in what I suggested above is new/novel ... I know a number of people over the years have trialled various low powered single board computers in similar configurations.

Its like a really overcooked open source squeezebox in many ways.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:37 AM   #555
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Some test conclusions:

USB to I2S: M2Tech vs XMOS vs Open-source Qnktc
Old 2nd April 2012, 03:57 PM   #556
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Congratulations to Lorien!

I was much pleased with the news!

Bunpei
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:16 PM   #557
henri47 is offline henri47  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hello Lucian,

Can you tell me how a I2S data signal should look like? I have a problem my Buffalo III does not accept the I2S signal coming from WaveIO.
I could check it with my oscillo.

kind regards,

Henri
Old 3rd April 2012, 03:06 PM   #558
diyAudio Member

Back from a short trip outside my town for solving few personal issues. I'll try to answer shortly to all questions and requests.
@ Henry: please PM me with your email address or use "ekits [at] luckit [dot] biz" instead since my Diyaudio mailing accont is almost full.
Best wishes,
L
Old 3rd April 2012, 09:25 PM   #559
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri47 View Post
Can you tell me how a I2S data signal should look like? I have a problem my Buffalo III does not accept the I2S signal coming from WaveIO.
I could check it with my oscillo.
I2S should look like digital data. Unfortunately, a single-trace 'scope cannot tell you whether the data is good or bad - you really need to see the clock and data on the same time scale. Often, if I2S is not working, it's the polarity of the clock or the timing / phase shift between clock and data. There should be data sheets for both the Buffalo III and the I2S chip on the WaveIO that you can compare to see what needs to happen for compatibility. Note that my answer is generic to all I2S links, since I have not used your specific setup myself.
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:18 PM   #560
reo is offline reo  Canada
diyAudio Member

physically it would look like this, from Wave's output going to BII
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pictogram.jpg (94.0 KB, 676 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!