XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2012, 09:37 AM   #531
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheous View Post
@lucien Could you send me the price for Italy

Francesco.
You have PM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammy1688 View Post
Hi Lorien,

Wondering if there were any updated WDM drivers for this? Once in a while, WDM audio starts to stutter and lag, slowing everything down. If I unplug and plug the usb cable this fixes it.

ASIO functions fine.
I check the XMOS site frequently though I didn't see any new releases. There was a problem related to DFU module on multichannel reference design though solved with their latest firmware but does not affect WaveIO since DFU is not used here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsin View Post
At last, a problem.

"The Thesycon suite also includes an ASIO driver so do not run your new device through any of the after market ASIO drivers like ASIO4ALL as it will cause a conflict in which nothing will work."

Whose ASIO functions fine?
I would be happy to keep problems at minimum I already encounter few challenges with the revision (from the HW point of view...) so I do not need more
Kind regards,
L

Last edited by Lorien; 28th March 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 28th March 2012, 02:54 PM   #532
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sorry Lucien

I love uncovering, diagnosing, and fixing bugs almost as much as listening to music. I had the joy of sitting in a cubicle next to the most productive bug finder I ever met and diagnosing Linux 'insects'. Many were true instabilities resulting in machine checks and processor wedges so there were not even memory dumps to examine. My job was diagnosing those. He spotted and reported more than a thousand bugs in one distro for one vendor. Ah, the good old daze!
Old 29th March 2012, 05:02 PM   #533
diyAudio Member

Default Major clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammy1688 View Post
If I unplug and plug the usb cable this fixes it.
PNP is sending us a message here. An object that is being refreshed during this cycle either contains corrupted state or a side effect of initialization has refreshed state held elsewhere. It still might be difficult to root cause this but the ease of repeatability is extremely helpful.
Old 30th March 2012, 01:30 PM   #534
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Similar corner case

I have a similar situation. Not to be construed in any way a problem with WaveIO as it relates to running in a highly modified XP build.
I run CMP/CPLAY on XP which has been slimmed down to the minimum so it runs like an appliance. Sound quality unbelieveable. Somewhere as I cut XP to the bone, 2 things start to happen. 1. I can no longer bring up the ASIO control panel. 2. After playing one cue sheet, exiting CPLAY, WaveIO is no longer functional. Turn off WaveIO and restart and it works fine. There must be something it needs to gracefully exit that I killed. I'll find it, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 30th March 2012, 01:39 PM   #535
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
I have a similar situation. Not to be construed in any way a problem with WaveIO as it relates to running in a highly modified XP build.
I run CMP/CPLAY on XP which has been slimmed down to the minimum so it runs like an appliance. Sound quality unbelieveable. Somewhere as I cut XP to the bone, 2 things start to happen. 1. I can no longer bring up the ASIO control panel. 2. After playing one cue sheet, exiting CPLAY, WaveIO is no longer functional. Turn off WaveIO and restart and it works fine. There must be something it needs to gracefully exit that I killed. I'll find it, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.
Hi Wlowes,

First, I don't know why you're cutting that windows OS to the bone. If there's no crap installed, just a bare XP install it should run without any issues. I've been in the computer field for over 20 years, have seen the bads and the goods!

Unless your CPU is under powered or your ram is not enough and it is swapping, I can understand cutting down on the OS services. Otherwise, this will not give you better sound. You can give your program a higher thread priority if you think it will make a difference.

I just think you're wasting too much efforts on that side. Might as well just run a lean Linux distro instead.

Anyways, hope you find your answer!
Do
Old 30th March 2012, 03:51 PM   #536
tassosk is offline tassosk  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi Lucien,
Could you please send me the price and shipping cost for Greece?
Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 04:39 PM   #537
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
You can give your program a higher thread priority if you think it will make a difference.
I agree 98% with that but . . . if that makes a difference then your machine would indeed be very slow. The culprit is the way interrupts are handled under the WinNT kernel. Prior to WinNT the code required to handle interrupts would run when the hardware handled the peripheral interrupt. If that code consumed too much time it could delay other time dependent processes so the Deferred Procedure Call (DPC) was used as part of the WinNT kernel. Properly written drivers, including all drivers for XMOS, respond ASAP to the interrupt but delay time consuming code to a procedure called later, hence the name DPC.

The code in that later procedure is the potential culprit. Most peripherals and their drivers require a sufficiently short amount of time to do the necessary work or they schedule another DPC. Some 3rd party products cause significant delays, i.e. their latency is high, and the buffers run dry causing short pauses in audio streams. Much greater detail on this is available in DPClat.pdf and a tool for measuring latencies on your computer, DPClat.exe, is available free from Thesycon.

All kernel and kernel device driver code runs at a higher priority than any application. The only way Microsoft could have eliminated the possibility of such long latencies would have been to restrict the peripherals that would be supported the way Apple and HA server vendors have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
. . . WaveIO is no longer functional. Turn off WaveIO and restart and it works fine. . . if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.
Please apply the "yammy test" by unplugging and replugging USB and reporting results.
Old 30th March 2012, 08:06 PM   #538
diyAudio Member

Default Interested

Hi Lucien,
Please price and shipping cost for Canada.
Thanks!
Old 30th March 2012, 08:14 PM   #539
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Hi Lucian,

Just inquiring if you had shipped my WaveIO? Last I inquired you said it was ready but it needed some final touches. I used the faster shipping in my payment.

Thanks
Do
Old 30th March 2012, 09:37 PM   #540
diyAudio Member

I failed to provide a link for the fuller explanation document. It is here: http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.pdf

Faster processors, more processors (or cores), and deeper buffers all help but one badly written driver can . . .

Hide this!Advertise here!