Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2012, 10:16 PM   #501
diyAudio Member

Hello Douwe, I'm interested how you got 3.3V with LifePo4-batteries: which brands of batteries, how many mA, which circuit for controlling charge/discharge you attached to them, which charger are you using, where you bought, etc.

Thanks for helping
Roberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe01nl View Post
Hi Lorien, would it be possible to feed the board with 3,3V in stead of 5V? The specs of the xmos chip allow 3,3v. It would be nice when we could use LifePo4-batteries, works great on my current Hiface.
regards, Douwe
Old 25th March 2012, 06:25 AM   #502
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

umm every lifepo4 battery ive used is 3.3v nominal as its normal voltage. at fully charged it will be 3.6 but this drops to 3.45 very quickly and spends the rest of its charge between 3.45 and 3.2 before falling off a cliff, which is where you should cut it anyway. so you dont really need a regulator as generally most parts will allow this much tolerance in the supply as long as its steady

A123 ANR26650A and the new updated ANR26650B is the best IMO but levinpower is supposed to be pretty much the same, dont buy from ebay its too risky. current you say? lol these things are insane, they will put out an extended pulse of 140A, but will run at 40A all day long. yes you read that right
Old 25th March 2012, 11:51 AM   #503
diyAudio Member

@Lorien,

this is the "working area" and music comes out.
More later ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0022_kl.jpg (153.3 KB, 724 views)
Old 25th March 2012, 02:09 PM   #504
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe01nl View Post
Hi Lorien, would it be possible to feed the board with 3,3V in stead of 5V? The specs of the xmos chip allow 3,3v. It would be nice when we could use LifePo4-batteries, works great on my current Hiface.
regards, Douwe
Unfortunately WaveIO card does not offer this feature! I know that XMOS I/O ports are working with 3.3V BUT you forgot that there are voltage regulators before XMOS chip (in fact there are all over the place). AFAIK minimum voltage applied to external PSU connector must be between 5V and 6V. There could be a chance to wire those batteries to this card by means of using few diodes between the two... just to drop the voltage to suggested levels. I remember that it was someone willing to try this path but no news so far ... so I don't know if it will work as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten.witt View Post
@Lorien,

this is the "working area" and music comes out.
More later ......
Nice setup you got there Carsten! One small thing I will do is to short the wires of PH regs - if possible. Thank you for sharing!
Kind regards,
L
Old 25th March 2012, 02:28 PM   #505
diyAudio Member

Hi,
thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
Nice setup you got there Carsten! One small thing I will do is to short the wires of PH regs - if possible.
L
Yes, i will do so when the final setup/case is ready. There are some things to do, like a own power supply for WaveIO (5v), changing to none isolated I2S, ....
Old 25th March 2012, 02:33 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

I was about to say the same thing; using such expensive high performance regulators and leaving long leads and a connector between them and the load will destroy all benefit of having them. I would get rid of the connector and hard wire them as well.

i was meaning to supply directly, couldnt he plug the batteries directly in? they are pretty much perfect voltage and most 3v3 compliant parts will allow +/-5% not for the faint hearted though as these things will literally melt themselves and the load if shorted

and @ Lorien: I saw your reply, no problem about taking it to PM, i'm sorry i let it go on as long as I did. as for my application, i'll send you some info and pics privately rather than in the thread.

Last edited by qusp; 25th March 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 25th March 2012, 03:24 PM   #507
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten.witt View Post
Hi,
thank you.
There are some things to do, like - - - changing to none isolated I2S, ....
Carsten
Why is this? I had the impression one would like optimum isolation between power domains. . as that is said to reduce jitter-induced distortion.
The isolator behaves pretty well I understand. (there was a post on that).

[That is why I would expect an isolator on the USB input, but that is just my rambling].
Old 25th March 2012, 03:45 PM   #508
diyAudio Member

Thanks cusp for the info, the A123 is not easy to find in Europe but I have probably found an Internet store.

-Roberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
umm every lifepo4 battery ive used is 3.3v nominal as its normal voltage. at fully charged it will be 3.6 but this drops to 3.45 very quickly and spends the rest of its charge between 3.45 and 3.2 before falling off a cliff, which is where you should cut it anyway. so you dont really need a regulator as generally most parts will allow this much tolerance in the supply as long as its steady

A123 ANR26650A and the new updated ANR26650B is the best IMO but levinpower is supposed to be pretty much the same, dont buy from ebay its too risky. current you say? lol these things are insane, they will put out an extended pulse of 140A, but will run at 40A all day long. yes you read that right
Old 25th March 2012, 03:54 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

if they are selling to the public, then i would not trust them to be real. more likely grey market or flat out fakes as these are a highly sought after product and the company normally only sell to OEMs. i do know where to get legit new product though. where are you talking about? i dont want to post the company's info in public as i dont know whether they are acting within their agreement and i want to continue to be able to get them
Old 25th March 2012, 04:22 PM   #510
diyAudio Member

They can be legally found (sometimes rebranded) in stores selling Radio Control products.

-Roberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
if they are selling to the public, then i would not trust them to be real. more likely grey market or flat out fakes as these are a highly sought after product and the company normally only sell to OEMs. i do know where to get legit new product though. where are you talking about? i dont want to post the company's info in public as i dont know whether they are acting within their agreement and i want to continue to be able to get them

Hide this!Advertise here!