XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2012, 12:46 AM   #491
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

@rsdio See what I mean about OS bigots?
Old 22nd March 2012, 07:50 AM   #492
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsin View Post
@rsdio See what I mean about OS bigots?
I didn't see anything.

... but I'm sure everyone here has all the facts by now.
Old 22nd March 2012, 08:12 AM   #493
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

moved to PM

Last edited by qusp; 22nd March 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:30 PM   #494
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
moved to PM
Thank you!
Old 22nd March 2012, 07:48 PM   #495
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
A free & Open Source UAC2 ASIO driver have been recently developed for this project: "Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget".

I guess it may be easily adapted for other UAC2 devices, too.
yeah i know, but it's reports in that thread that havent been all that encouraging, with most people trying but going back to the linux or mac, also it seems to be tied to firmware rather than being a standard that is independent. my application is very high bandwidth xmos based (4 x 32bit/384kHz or 8 x 32bit/192kHz).

it does seem to be making progress but doesnt seem ready for primetime and doesnt seem to be a standard really ie. its 'UAC2' like, needing special FW rather than just working with UAC2 hardware that already works on mac and win.

@Lorien, which have you been finding most reliable as far as win goes for your Xmos solution?
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:57 PM   #496
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
it does seem to be making progress but doesnt seem ready for primetime and doesnt seem to be a standard really ie. its 'UAC2' like, needing special FW rather than just working with UAC2 hardware that already works on mac and win.
well, it's a young project: some problems/limitations are expectable at this very early stage of development. Moreover, I guess that the "audio widget" is the only UAC2 interface the developer have currently access to for testing.

But it's FLOSS, thus everyone is welcome to contribute to development.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:10 PM   #497
diyAudio Member

@ UnixMan: With all the respect I want to remember you that THIS thread is called: "XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface". Is something in your last statement that has anything to do with the XMOS chip itself or the XMOS reference design... the base of WaveIO card? I do not recall on the other thread to mention even a single word about WaveIO. Most of us might say that your statement is a simple one but few could dig further and see besides that few attempts to promote other products. Please stay on topic... as I do and thank you for understanding!

@ qusp: I saw your last statement in my email and your choice to switch to PM! It's much appreciated! Regarding your XMOS - based application (4 x 32bit/384kHz or 8 x 32bit/192kHz) you make at least curious ... I'm interested in the 32bit option of your setup. In my experience, there's no such a "free meal" ... at least not with Thesycon And if we speak about Windodsdsdsd ... we are on the same side but if I have to choose from Windoze and Thesycon on one side and None on the other I would choose the first option... even if, sometimes I wish to be a third path

Kind regards,
L
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:17 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

Speaking about 32 bit depth. Do you know if there's an USB product that works with Thesycon drivers and offer 32 bit feature because I found none so far...

Last edited by Lorien; 23rd March 2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 23rd March 2012, 06:53 PM   #499
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
Speaking about 32 bit depth. Do you know if there's an USB product that works with Thesycon drivers and offer 32 bit feature because I found none so far...
Well, it's not USB or Thesycon, but the Metric Halo Labs MobileIO line of audio interfaces offer 18 channels of 32-bit audio over FireWire, with additional bandwidth for parameters and metering. This is all supported transparently within standard CoreAudio applications under Mac OS X.

A similar USB interface could work without changing any application code, provided that the USB Device implemented UAC standards. Unfortunately, I still have not obtained any of the multichannel USB Devices that my clients use. I tend to write the application code using FireWire devices for testing, and it all runs just fine when the customer uses the same code with USB devices. The only thing missing is that I haven't put my hands on the USB devices with more than 6 channels of output.
Old 24th March 2012, 04:57 PM   #500
diyAudio Member

Hi Lorien, would it be possible to feed the board with 3,3V in stead of 5V? The specs of the xmos chip allow 3,3v. It would be nice when we could use LifePo4-batteries, works great on my current Hiface.
regards, Douwe

Hide this!Advertise here!