XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 48 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2012, 01:08 PM   #471
diyAudio Member

Frankly, I think the usb cable discussion isn't unique to xmos/waveIO, perhaps its a big enough topic there should be a thread of its own on the subject if there isn't one already?

News from xmos has a new addition to their lineup of reference designs - USB Audio 2.0 Multichannel Reference Design | XMOS

Lucian we've been begging for a while for xmos based mulitchannel usb-i2s, what can you do for us?
Old 20th March 2012, 02:31 PM   #472
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Supplying the "B" connector's Vcc externally (i.e. no link to the host's Vcc) definitely makes for better sound
Why is that? The data lines are differential, so any noise from the B+ line would be common-mode and cancelled at the receiver.
Old 20th March 2012, 03:04 PM   #473
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryelands View Post
wlowes did not suggest he'd taken measurements but his subjective report is credible on technical grounds.
Lorien's gift to us is beautiful. His foresight in providing ways for the DAC and WaveIO to share digital power resolves all but the smallest amount of jitter. When that has been done by providing external power one can only credibly argue that alterations to any part of the bit delivery path (that includes USB) repair something that was not 'bit perfect' at the start.
Old 20th March 2012, 03:11 PM   #474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Why is that? The data lines are differential . . .
I was referring to the B connector, i.e. the connection to the device, not to the host. The data lines, which the spec labels D- and D+, are indeed a differential pair.

I agree that a dedicated DIY USB cable thread might be interesting.
Old 20th March 2012, 05:03 PM   #475
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post

News from xmos has a new addition to their lineup of reference designs - USB Audio 2.0 Multichannel Reference Design | XMOS

Lucian we've been begging for a while for xmos based mulitchannel usb-i2s, what can you do for us?
I'd love to see that! A really high quality interface for active digital multiway systems would open so many doors at reasonable cost. Exa's device looks good but is pretty pricey for me

Last edited by simon dart; 20th March 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:24 AM   #476
diyAudio Member

Default ah yes, Wolfsin can recall . . .

Providing synchronous stereo to headphones is good but I am truly skeptical of its value in multichannel scenarios considering the velocity of sound in air and the lack of precision in channel delays required. Multiple digital buffers of varying depths would require software management of much greater complexity than exist in the Thesycon drivers. Picosecond precision

While this may be the future, and it may capture a following this time, I remember all too well the promises being made in the 90's and how many friends still complain about elusive 'lip synch'. Any how many others went thru multiple versions of hdmi and . . .

It may be that the MP3 crowd will awaken, listen with astonishment to HDaudio, and not recall the last fleece-job of multichannel but even the most risk loving investors would raise an eyebrow at a business plan predicated on that chain of events.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:37 AM   #477
diyAudio Member

I'm more interested in the possibility for computer based eq/crossover of multi-way active loudspeakers paired with a multichannel dac. All of it is predicated on foregoing any non-computer based audio source. None of this will be cheap.

Surround sound may be fun to try too. I will likely leave the surround part to a HT receiver and focus on the L/R channels in isolation.

I wouldn't like to try to justify many of the diy projects on this forum as a profitable product/business when marketed to a non-diy consumer!
Old 21st March 2012, 05:53 AM   #478
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

thesycon? yeah its unfortunate thats the best windows has to offer, its soundly beaten for free in Linux or Mac. why it has taken 3 years to still not have a reliable UAC2 driver for win i have no idea.

digital processing WILL induce delay, it may get beyond perception one day, but anyone who didnt figure out they had to accurately delay the picture to match the audio delay in the 1st ior 2nd generation was a bit slow on the uptake.....

the xmos is designed for digi XO's and pro audio mixers/instruments, not home theater
Old 21st March 2012, 08:10 AM   #479
diyAudio Member

@Lorien,

is yesterday arrived, thanks.
Look very nice. I will test it at the weekend and replay here.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:34 AM   #480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
I'm more interested in the possibility for computer based eq/crossover of multi-way active loudspeakers paired with a multichannel dac.
Of course. That makes sense. For pro / recording multichannel USB may have a market and for Hochopepers case.

Wolfsin has developed for Windows, Mac, and Linux at the app level and at the kernel level for two of those. Updates are handled differently in each case. IMO there is nothing wrong with thesycon for stereo.

Hide this!Advertise here!