XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2012, 08:43 PM   #421
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
You can't really set the current the device will draw what it needs.

wlowes, have you checked the voltage once the device is drawing current or only on an open circuit? What is the external supply you're trying to use?
Yes, the 4.9v was when it was drawing current. The USB cable was not attached, so I will try that and measure. I had it set up with aligator clips. Could be when its under load trying to associate with the PC it draws more and the contact was insufficient. I do keep the USB jumper set correctly. I am using a 100va transformer into a linear power supply with a simple 7805ct reg capable of 1.5A. I did have a discrete reg that could not supply enough power, hence the test with the 7805.
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:03 PM   #422
henri47 is offline henri47  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm building a Buffalo III DAC an will use the Wave IO board to convert USB stream from my Vortexbox into I2S. The WaveIO board will be powered by a 5V PS regulated by a Bellison superregulator. Should'nt it be better to put the Wave IO board in a screened box in order to prevent interference with the DAC electronics? For connecting the board with the DAC I just got IPX/U.FL Antenna Cable from Lighthorse Technologies in San Diego.
@Lorien: news about my board?
Henri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050378.jpg (273.6 KB, 761 views)
File Type: jpg P1050350.jpg (277.8 KB, 713 views)
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:53 PM   #423
diyAudio Member

It's fully assembled but needs to be customized and cleaned up a little bit because looks ugly Same story for other boards as well!
Nice setup you got there! I'll make sure that you'll change the picture with the real card though
Kind regards,
L
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:43 PM   #424
diyAudio Member

Thanks Lucian for the compliment. Good to hear the board is almost ready to ship.
BTW: What do you think about screening it? In a former life I was a radio Amateur and I know what interference can do. To be honest: I'm a little paranoid when it comes to screening and quality of power supplies.
Kind regards,

Henri
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:56 PM   #425
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

but what are you screening it with? unless its some sort of annealed permalloy i dont see it being all that useful past perhaps putting your paranoia at ease (at least until my post just now..sorry) better off just keeping the connections as short as possible IMO
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:57 PM   #426
diyAudio Member

ok qusp,
you are right. All connections should be as short as possible and in imho, boards that radiate harmonics (like all digital circuits do) should be isolated from each other. One can do that fi.(as you certainly know) by putting that circuit in a tin Can and feed it trough special feed-trough caps to block rubbish coming in or out via feed lines. But maybe I am indeed to paranoia about it.
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:08 AM   #427
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp
but what are you screening it with? unless its some sort of annealed permalloy i dont see it being all that useful past perhaps putting your paranoia at ease (at least until my post just now..sorry) better off just keeping the connections as short as possible IMO
Qusp, it's DIY! Maybe WaveIO board doesn't offer too many alternatives when it comes to that but putting it in a screened box could be considered as a valid one. Regarding screening, IMHO a metal 'cage' is better than nothing
If this screening approach will be of any good for him, only henri47 will be capable to answer! So, henri47 go ahead and leave your 'paranoia' live... at least this is what I've done in WaveIO's case! I don't admit that I understand it completely but I can say that I'm pretty close
Regards,
L
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:37 AM   #428
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

OK guyz, what should be in the cage? WaveIO and half the DAC chip? What was that special 'screening' @qusp?
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:33 PM   #429
diyAudio Member

I did not meant to start a new discussion about the usefulness of screening some circuits and isolate them from other prone to interference circuits. I simply asked if it would be beneficial to do so. Would sound quality be better? I honestly can't say; that's why I asked the forum for advice. But when I forsee trouble, I'll do everything I can to prevent it. In the end, all that matters is the resulting sound quality. I take that's the goal of every diy-selfer. Like Lorien, I also do not onderstand fully what's the influence of fi. HF radiation on sound quality. I only try to make things I build as good as possible.
Kind regards
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:09 PM   #430
diyAudio Member

I don't understand fully to what level the radiated EMF may impact nearby circuits either, but I think qusp made a good point that the material for the screening enclosure is critical to its effectiveness.

To my understanding it should ideally be a metallic enclosure with good conductivity, perhaps you or someone you know has trialled effectiveness of screening materials in amateur radio?

Let us know your findings/experiences!

Hide this!Advertise here!