XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2012, 08:34 AM   #351
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Honestly though not sure why you are messing with AA I2s
Every other i2s DAC is freshly built and untested

WaveIO is getting a stream and signaling the right frequency so I might forge ahead and lash up an Opus with a shared power supply and test everything at once but it is against my nature
Old 4th February 2012, 09:19 AM   #352
diyAudio Member

And how exactly did you commission your first i2s dac?
Old 4th February 2012, 01:04 PM   #353
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsin View Post
Every other i2s DAC is freshly built and untested

WaveIO is getting a stream and signaling the right frequency so I might forge ahead and lash up an Opus with a shared power supply and test everything at once but it is against my nature
trust me the AA alchemy "i2S" is far from a control Mine is probably going to be attached to the waveio when I find a good I/v stage, but I am almost positive there is an inverter for on of the lines that shouldn't be there, I think the audiasylum faq has info. Their engineers had some theory that one of the i2s lines had to be inverted for "jitter free" transmission, never mind the 20 some odd glue logic ic's for compatibility with the pmd100 without any reclocking Read one of the magazines at the time that their i2s dacs had the worse jitter measurements of any DAC they ever came across.

Last edited by regal; 4th February 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 4th February 2012, 02:28 PM   #354
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
And how exactly did you commission your first i2s dac?
I have presented the plan, then the DDE3 part of the plan flopped, so now I'll need to summon the courage to face up to commissioning my first i2s DAC along with a shared power supply that emitz 7.5 and 5 volts ALL@THE SAME TIME. I think the stars will be in correct alignment for that to happen smoothly on April 1st!

Thanks for filling me in on how truly wierd i2s in the DDE3 might be, @regal. If you ever get yours working with WaveIO please post the recipe for your magic potion.
Old 4th February 2012, 05:20 PM   #355
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Driver Set up with CMP CPLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duwenbleidd View Post
zoka959: It's working flawlessly, absolutely stable and no error messages.
While I'm at it - there has been a comparison with a competing product - KingRex UC192. Long story short, the difference was night and day. Three audiophiles other then me were present and they didn't have a clue which one actually should be better. They picked WaveIO as the better one just in few seconds.
I am curious. How is WaveIO set up when using Cplay or other players that expect ASIO driver.
I believe the Luckit/thesycon driver presents as an ASIO 2.1 driver?
Does it work along with your existing ASIO driver?, or does it replace things like ASIO4all

Last edited by wlowes; 4th February 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 4th February 2012, 06:56 PM   #356
diyAudio Member

Default Isolated SP/DIF & debug

When you would like to be sure the bitz are flowing across your USB but i2s is not yet working, the isolated coax may be just what is needed. Keep in mind there are many ways to configure audio under Winderz such that bitz will not be flowing and trying to debug Opus i2s will NOT be productive under those conditions :-(

It appears that coax ground is the circular pad. It also appears that SP/DIF will always flow so for equipment that accepts only jittery bits this may be useful.
Old 5th February 2012, 12:17 AM   #357
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsin View Post
It also appears that SP/DIF will always flow so for equipment that accepts only jittery bits this may be useful.
I doubt that's universal. At the very least, I have home theatre equipment that stops the flow of S/P-DIF between DVD menus and title chapters or between channels.
Old 5th February 2012, 12:58 AM   #358
diyAudio Member

@rsdio What I meant was that whatever was being emitted from i2s (isolated and/or non) would also be emitted from the transformer isolated SP/DIF. Thus my Apogee (re)clocked BB1704 DACs can continue to receive bits (nearly) when the WM8740 DACs receive theirs. The WM8740s can benefit from the WaveIO i2s low jitter whereas the BB1704 system would require serious mods to even accept i2s directly. As a practical matter all this will do is allow me to listen to one while the other is 'down' for tweaks or possibly allow A-B switching for comparisons during playback. I can also easily imagine two listeners enjoying the same material with headphones even though one requires (or prefers) quite different equalization for hearing loss correction.

What I had not noticed previously is that bits get sent out in three streams and there may be uses for this beyond what I noted above. Using both i2s outputs does require providing at least one common power source but the isolated SP/DIF does not, so is more compatible with components over which the user has less freedom or control.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:06 PM   #359
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Some years ago I have received some samples of the Wolfson DAC chip WM8740.
Last weekend I have compare this old WM8740 with a new production buy on Ebay shop in China and there are lot of differences.
The new chip give a bad sound very acid, I have thinking about a fake but other chips buy at the same Ebay shop like the AD1955 sound good like the old samples.
Now I am using the AD1955 to test and compare the M2Tech I2s with Qnktc Open source I2S.

Last edited by audiodesign; 6th February 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 6th February 2012, 02:29 PM   #360
diyAudio Member

Default Good choice, Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
Some years ago I have received some samples of the Wolfson DAC chip WM8740. . . Last weekend I have compare this old WM8740 with a new production buy on Ebay shop in China and there are lot of differences. The new chip give a bad sound very acid
Thanks for adding to the NOS mystique The volume of DACs using the 8740, many with four pieces each is amazing. I had assumed that was a result of the very large price difference between the 8740 and 8741.

I must report that I am totally satisfied with your WaveIO. Pinnocchio has decided to add to your backlog after I went on about how amazing they are. Thank you for all the hard work you put in to make this wonderful product.

Hide this!Advertise here!