XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2012, 12:36 AM   #301
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
Do anyone have a recommendation on where to buy u.fl cables for this board?
If you only need a connector on one end, you could possibly use the wifi antenna coax leads from an old notebook computer. Not sure if the connectors are the right size but doesn't cost much to find out.

New Pair Notebook 2.4GHz - 5.2GHz Router Wi-Fi Wireless mini PCI-E Card Antenna | eBay

Here's a pigtail cable 9.5 CM long

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IPX-U-FL-IPX...item2a0fcdd978

Last edited by labjr; 13th January 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 13th January 2012, 01:00 AM   #302
diyAudio Member

Default U.FL

Cables and micro bnc connectors are available from both Digikey and Mouser in the US.
Old 19th January 2012, 12:26 AM   #304
diyAudio Member

Very nice project Lorien! I am thinking of designing something similar like this using the XMOS chip. All I really want to to read the audio date from the PC via USB and the XMOS chip seems to have the software to do this without killing myself in writing software and driver I know little about hehe.

I want to do exactly what you have achieved... get the USB data to I2S or even SPDIF, but maybe not as extensive/high end as you have. Maybe keep my project below $50 and less components.
I want a good sound to come out of it but I think some of this jitter talk is making my head go crazy, either people have some super precise equipment and amazing ears or I am just deaf :/.
All i can do is pick some decent clocks and the XMOS in asynchronous operation and that should be good enough to mitigate major jitter, no?

I have 3 SACD players and one "Reference" CD/HDCD player (all pretty old) and I can't tell much difference between them... (except the one that costs $30 and weights 5lb lol).... sooo i dont think I can hear the difference in this case

I want something that will output good Stereo sound out of my PC.... somehting better than whatever comes out of the 3.5mm jacks on the back of my Creative X-fi.

I do have some noob questions on the XMOS tho, just so I gauge what I will need to do.

Since you've already done that can you tell me how easy/hard was to work with the XMOS dev tools and chip?
Did you mess a lot with the firmware on the XMOS chip?
How did you program the XMOS chip? You used their programmer/development kit?
Does your board output S/PDIF? Looks like it does

Thanks,
I
Old 19th January 2012, 01:39 AM   #305
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxgravediggerxz View Post
I want something that will output good Stereo sound out of my PC.... somehting better than whatever comes out of the 3.5mm jacks on the back of my Creative X-fi.
Why don't you just spend $30 on the Behringer UCA202 and be done with it?

Your message makes it seem like cost is more important than quality, and there's no way you can build your own for less than established companies. Based on your account above, you'll never hear the difference.
Old 19th January 2012, 01:41 AM   #306
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default u.fl

Thanks gents,
You have given me a couple of options. Turns out my company uses the same cables to connect digital cellular modem to an external antenna. I have been able to grab several that were being scrapped. One step closer to being ready for when my board arrives. I have also built a very nice linear power supply with a low noise regulator built with discrete parts.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:33 AM   #307
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
Why don't you just spend $30 on the Behringer UCA202 and be done with it?

Your message makes it seem like cost is more important than quality, and there's no way you can build your own for less than established companies. Based on your account above, you'll never hear the difference.

Well I could go out and buy a $400 DAC that does everything and more but I'm an EE and I definitely want to develop my design skills and it wouldn't be much of a DIYAudio if i bought it lol

Well I do have nice "budget" equipment and my Playes are real good quality and I hope eventually when I get the rest of my system (Enery Take Classic Speakers and Onkyo TX-SR508 Reciever) replaced with some more high end stuff I might be able to differentiate better than now. There is a difference between players but it's not.... WOW THERE IS A DIFFERENCE factor but definitely my Sony and Denon have a really good sound stage!

Denon DVD-9000 (using PCM1704s)
Sony dvp-s9000es
Yamaha DVD-S1800 (burr brown dacs)
(are my top 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
No, I wouldn't say that quality does't matter to me hehe but I want to get my feet wet first and than optimize and get exotic with this board, and I didn't talk about the DAC and the other stuff that will follow on

I will design my own Hi-Fi system from the USB to DAC to PreAmp to AMP to Stereo Speakers. And when my tech is mature enough I will tackle SACD and CD player and keep upgrading my designs for higher and higher fidelity.

I've done two interconnect cables and already 70% done with my DIY Speakers (not counting paint job lol) and getting info on my next tackle.

anyways we digress....

So yeah i forgot to ask... what process did u go to acquire the Windows drivers? Can you share a price? Do you just install the driver and it pretty much work with any sound coming out of the PC? Window Media, Games, YouTube, VLC, iTunes?
Old 19th January 2012, 04:03 AM   #308
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxgravediggerxz View Post
Well I could go out and buy a $400 DAC that does everything and more but I'm an EE and I definitely want to develop my design skills and it wouldn't be much of a DIYAudio if i bought it lol
Quote:
No, I wouldn't say that quality does't matter to me hehe but I want to get my feet wet first and than optimize and get exotic with this board, and I didn't talk about the DAC and the other stuff that will follow on

anyways we digress....
Ok, fair points.

I just wanted to explain my point that it makes more sense to design a reasonably high-quality DIY interface rather than something cheap.

I have designed many custom boards, and they're all expensive to make in small quantities. That's true whether the designs are cut-throat cheap or super high-end. Thus, my philosophy is that you might as well make DIY boards as high-quality as humanly possible. They're going to cost about the same anyway. Besides, cheap designs are churned out all the time by mass-market electronics shops, so you might as well let someone else spend the time making cheap stuff and focus your efforts on something a little better than average.

Where DIY folks tend to draw the line is with the number of layers and the cost of the parts. A few DIY designers try to stick to 2-layer boards because they're so much cheaper. Personally, I've done so many 4-layer designs with solid power planes that I'm not turning back to 2-layer unless the design clearly would not benefit (*). On the subject of exotic parts, I tend to like designing for multi-site and optional SMD placements. That way, budget-conscious DIYers can leave off the costly parts and still have a working design. When I was younger (before college), I learned a lot about electronics by taking things apart and noticing how many empty sockets (now empty pads) there are on commercial products. They do this to save on the PCB costs, while allowing everything from entry-level to mid-price to audiophile quality.

Long story short: I fully support efforts by the contributors to this thread to put as much design excellence as possible into this project.

(*) I wonder how possible it would be to have both 2-layer and 4-layer designs of the same schematic. That might allow budget-conscious DIYers to get in with the less-expensive 2-layer PCB while the high-end folks can compare the performance of solid power planes. Of course, this defeats the advantage of group buys for a single PCB design, but it's an idea...
Old 19th January 2012, 04:22 AM   #309
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

When you noted that SACD and HDCD did not sound much different it occurred to me that you might have some pretty good equipment. That is the case IMO. I think some of your units probably have pretty good clocks. On bad equipment the difference between SACD and CD is glaringly apparent. The other possibility is that one part of the chain is bad enough that you cannot appreciate what you have.

I cannot think of a $400 DAC that offers "everything and more". What I want to do is ripBitz to an HDD and then squirt them into a DAC with timing as good as SACD media bitz get squirted to the built-in DACs in a couple of your components. That is a lot harder than it might seem on the surface.

Internally your components communicate using i2s. Getting a computer to emit i2s as a well clocked parallel 'stream' is the key. That is what Lucian's board can do because of an improved USB service class.
Old 19th January 2012, 05:15 AM   #310
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Lorien,
Is ready the new module or it is possible to have one old model ?

Actually I am starting some tests about M2Tech vs OpenSource Qnktc with Wolfson WM8740 DAC and Lundahl output transformers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M2Tech_vs_Qnktc.JPG (170.0 KB, 897 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!