XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2011, 07:00 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

PSUs, mostly yes, though I consider this board still have a very good power supply network given the fact that XMOS chip is a "little" power hungry
DC-DC will be next thing, to keep power consumption down and minimize heat dissipation, but only after I'll find a way to isolate the I2S outputs from USB (whatever that means). I'm still thinking on how to do it... properly... without GMRs or other jittery devices.
On the other hand i want the best PSu for oscillators and it's hard to decide which PSu will fit all requirements! I was thinking to add W.Jung-like vregs for each oscillator in part. Shunts are also good enough (maybe better?)... I just don't know for now which one will be...
Regards,
L
Old 7th June 2011, 05:04 PM   #22
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

400ma shunts will be a little bit hungry yes?
Old 7th June 2011, 05:54 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Yeah...

that is why I only would suggest shunt(s) if an external supply (not USB bus) was mandated. Running a shunt for only the clocks alone could result in a nice improvement (and the clock reg should not require too much current) as the low output impedance of the shunt should keep the rest of the power supplies from getting modulated by the clock frequency. Perhaps adding just a single shunt for the clocks, and keeping linear regs for the the other supplies...
Just thinking out loud here.
Old 8th June 2011, 02:13 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I agree with barrows! Now, on this board there are three LP5900 Vreg chips: one for each oscillator in part and the third one is for I2S output logic.... and this only just to keep noise down as much as I can! Given this, it's hard for me to believe that I'll choose one shunt reg to power all clocks (excluding surrounding I2S logic).
So, if performance needs a little more power then I'll choose the external PSU path leaving the USB 5V supply for another time.
I'm still in with 1 x Walter Jung - like PSU followed by two shunt regs (one for each oscillator in part). Barrows?
Old 8th June 2011, 10:42 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Excellent optios

Hi:

I have been looking for such a board and want to praise your layout and options. The header out option for I2S is excellent, this way one can quickly try different cables and connection to different DACs. I liked the way you have given terminal input for external power supply. However, the best is the option to have two USB connections especially one with the header out so one can run cable to chassis thus mounting board really close to target I2s input for minimum I2S cables length.

Regards
Old 25th June 2011, 12:39 PM   #26
spencer is offline spencer  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to spencer Send a message via Skype™ to spencer
How does the measurements compare to the XMOS reference design? I means at SPDIF out and I2S out? Any graph comparison is good especially on Jitter and noise figures. If possible, please show how the test is conducted and equipment used.

Thank you.
Old 26th June 2011, 03:17 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Very Nice board! Please let me know when you have these available for sale!
Old 26th June 2011, 04:41 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi:

I have been looking for such a board and want to praise your layout and options. The header out option for I2S is excellent, this way one can quickly try different cables and connection to different DACs. I liked the way you have given terminal input for external power supply. However, the best is the option to have two USB connections especially one with the header out so one can run cable to chassis thus mounting board really close to target I2s input for minimum I2S cables length.

Regards
Thank you!

Quote:
How does the measurements compare to the XMOS reference design? I means at SPDIF out and I2S out? Any graph comparison is good especially on Jitter and noise figures. If possible, please show how the test is conducted and equipment used.

Thank you
When I'll have the required informations I'll post them asap. For now, there are two members of this forum which could do noise and jitter tests and I'm still waiting an answer.

Quote:
Very Nice board! Please let me know when you have these available for sale!
I still have few boards for sale... but my free time is absent thus I didn't had the chance to build up my site to reflect that.

Kind regards,
L
Old 29th June 2011, 12:36 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Do you ever hook this I2S to BII, if that sound great with ASIO driver. I would like to buy 1 board. Pls send price and transfer method to my email.

Regards
poonchaimd@gmail.com
Old 4th August 2011, 12:44 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi All:

Just sharing my experience of purchasing and using the board from Lorien.

It works wonderfully. Everything is good and working. It turned out to be the way I expected, excellent. I used the interface board both with external power and USB power. I used the isolated I2S outputs to Philips TDA1541A DAC chip by providing the GMR with 5V. It has different but positive sound. It is little laid back, taken the bite off my tweeters, wider soundstage and much natural/organic sound than M2Tech HiFace (USB to S/PDIF) which is infamous for forward sound.

Again, excellent dream options to evaluate things that I don't see on any other board. Quality and inexpensive solution.

Hide this!Advertise here!