XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 198 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2014, 03:33 PM   #1971
diyAudio Member

Be sure to check the cables and the connectors and ohm the resistance in the ground path. Most often the problem isn't where you expect it to be. Maybe you can make a drawing or take a few pictures of your setup and post it here. It's easier to help that way.
Old 8th January 2014, 10:20 PM   #1972
diyAudio Member

Have my Wave I/O completed (SPDIF isolated output wired with BNC center conductor going to square pad of output pair and shield to circular pad; never got any feedback as to whether this is correct or wrong - see my post #1965 above ). Problem: no output. I get a "host active" yellow LED lit, and a "streaming" green LED lit, when attempting to stream an 88.2 khz FLAC file from Media Monkey on my Lenovo ThinkPad (running Windows 7), but no music. Also, despite the resolution of this file, my 48 khz red LED lights up, as though what is coming into the Wave is lower-rez. I downloaded and installed the latest 2.15 driver. Any ideas on what could be wrong would be greatly appreciated. Saw some discussion about issues with drivers but I thought that pertained to Windows 8 (?).
Old 8th January 2014, 10:24 PM   #1973
diyAudio Member

The Wave I/O described above is feeding my Buffalo II DAC, which, with other digital input, performs perfectly.
Old 9th January 2014, 04:52 AM   #1974
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
Have my Wave I/O completed (SPDIF isolated output wired with BNC center conductor going to square pad of output pair and shield to circular pad; never got any feedback as to whether this is correct or wrong .......
Square pad is gnd. This is working:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC240002_2.JPG (490.5 KB, 381 views)
Old 9th January 2014, 05:34 AM   #1975
diyAudio Member

Okay. Thank you, Ian! I will try reversing the connections, so that they are configured as your photo shows. (On the un-isolated pair, I got a clear continuity check between the round pad and ground; but on the isolated pair, of course, neither pad showed any continuity to ground, but I assumed the same pattern would hold.)

I should have put more stock in your photo to begin with. But, it's easy enough to reverse my wires, so...no worries!

Thanks again.
Old 9th January 2014, 05:53 AM   #1976
diyAudio Member

Yeah - I guess I should have said "square pad is for shield".

Anyway my brother simply soldered a right-angled plastic bodied BNC to his PCB and its shield pin was at the left (when viewed from behind). This seemed pretty standard on the ones I saw at Element14 as well. And that's why I soldered my wires that way around. His works too.
Old 9th January 2014, 07:08 AM   #1977
diyAudio Member

The fault is entirely mine because of lack of documentation or even some decent explicative text on silkscreen layers (even though the latter will be addressed very soon). I apologies for that! I attached a picture with a bare board in which you can clearly see the polarity of Murata 1:1 trafo. The dot is on the upper-left corner and, according to the respective datasheet, the output dot should be mirrored hence the square pad is "hot" signal while the round is for returning currents. Anyway, if any of you wants to try Newava alternatives then the output dot will be switched so all infos above will become useless.
@ Ian: in your case (along with other few WaveIOs) things got even harder to connect your SPDIF output because there's no white pant of any of the Murata trafos. That's because I had the "pleasant" opportunity to get a big batch of trafos on which the white descriptions on top of it were simply dissolved by the alcohol I'm normally using to clean up boards - this got me by surprise as long as from 2010 I didn't saw that happen. I hope it will not be any problems with that!
Kind regards,
L
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trafo.jpg (157.7 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by Lorien; 9th January 2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:31 AM   #1978
diyAudio Member

Lucian, are you saying that I have connected my BNC incorrectly? It is working after all.

What would be the symptom of an inversion?
Old 9th January 2014, 10:58 AM   #1979
diyAudio Member

I found some S/PDIF AC waveforms on the 'net and they all seem to look generally symmetrical, so I guess the polarity is unimportant. After all it's not like an analogue audio signal where the coax shield is tied to circuit ground. Mine is working "apparently backwards" after all. I'll reverse it (for "correctness") and report back. Sorry Zapped if I caused you any confusion.
Old 9th January 2014, 11:39 AM   #1980
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Millar View Post
Lucian, are you saying that I have connected my BNC incorrectly? It is working after all.

What would be the symptom of an inversion?
I'm not saying anything rather than offering infos gathered by a perfectionist which is trying only to be as clear as possible in this manner (BTW, I'm feeling guilty for this lack of documentation ). On another hand I didn't tried to 'reverse' the SPDIF signals on purpose and see what's happen ... OR, I did, but I wasn't aware about that ... The bottom line is that you can leave the wires as are right now or try the other alternative and see if there are any improvements. I wil look forward to your feedback!

Hide this!Advertise here!