XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 184 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2013, 08:54 PM   #1831
diyAudio Member

Lorien how is new board working? Any thoughts yet?
Old 6th August 2013, 08:10 AM   #1832
diyAudio Member

Heh. I think he is making much too suspense! ;-) .
I think the less he writes here the more he works on the WaveIO!
Would also want to know how it looks like with the new board. Especially the SPDIF Capabilities!

Thanks Loien for your work! Can not wait to see the new Board!
Old 10th August 2013, 01:44 PM   #1833
diyAudio Member

I am sorry if this waiting time cause trouble for you guys... I am simply trying to do my best while take the benefit of the last summer days I have at disposal this year until I'll go back to work (without having any other alternatives ).
As for the WaveIO "Note", I have a prototype near me that's running now on a support board (a mother board if you want) which is not designed by me so I have to ask for approval to be able to post some pictures.
On the other hand I simply wish to have my time and see this new project working as I want it to be. Without entering into technical details (which it will be kept for me until the board is properly done, sorry!) I want to say that the reclocking approach on Note is not working as I expected to be.
For the moment the reclocking of all the I2S signals from XMOS chip is done after are passing through NVE isolator having a clock reference of 45.1584 and 49.152 MHz - just to have all the I2S signals aligned (including Master Clock of 22.5792MHz and 24.576 MHz - hence the 4x.x freqs of the local oscillators)
Even if my expectations could be considered too high I will dig into the 'issue' until my lab gears will show me what I want to see.
I'll be back with news when I'll have it and, with all the respect, I'll keep my infos and experience for myself until the results of my work will show real improvements.
Kind regards,
L
Old 10th August 2013, 04:39 PM   #1834
diyAudio Member

Lucian:
Thank you for the update. We know these things take time, as well as much effort and thought. I am sure you will have success in the end..

Can you give us an update on the status of the daughter board for original WaveIO? Is that still a plan or should we all just wait for new Note model?

Best regards,
Alex
Old 10th August 2013, 07:53 PM   #1835
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
I am sorry if this waiting time cause trouble for you guys... I am simply trying to do my best while take the benefit of the last summer days I have at disposal this year until I'll go back to work (without having any other alternatives ).
As for the WaveIO "Note", I have a prototype near me that's running now on a support board (a mother board if you want) which is not designed by me so I have to ask for approval to be able to post some pictures.
On the other hand I simply wish to have my time and see this new project working as I want it to be. Without entering into technical details (which it will be kept for me until the board is properly done, sorry!) I want to say that the reclocking approach on Note is not working as I expected to be.
For the moment the reclocking of all the I2S signals from XMOS chip is done after are passing through NVE isolator having a clock reference of 45.1584 and 49.152 MHz - just to have all the I2S signals aligned (including Master Clock of 22.5792MHz and 24.576 MHz - hence the 4x.x freqs of the local oscillators)
Even if my expectations could be considered too high I will dig into the 'issue' until my lab gears will show me what I want to see.
I'll be back with news when I'll have it and, with all the respect, I'll keep my infos and experience for myself until the results of my work will show real improvements.
Kind regards,
L
Hi, Lorien

We checked with XMOS guys, besides re-clock, the other key item is to use SLAVE mode. Let DAC core provides BCLK, WCLK, and aligned SD related.

Don't push yourself too hard... ;-) and congratulations for your great design!
Old 12th August 2013, 07:41 PM   #1836
jrling is offline jrling  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Thesycon Drivers and DMA

Hi Lorien

I read that -

Wasapi was rewritten for windows 8 and wasapi exclusive event mode is able to communicate directly with dma via drivers, wasapi event uses an event trigger from the device to fill the whole buffer rather than a timed event and calculation to fill the remaining buffer.

Communicating via DMA would give a potentially better SQ.

Do you know whether the Thesycon driver you offer with WaveIO does support Windows 8 WASAPI Exclusive with DMA transfer?

Many thanks

Jonathan
Old 15th August 2013, 07:32 PM   #1837
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
Lucian:
Thank you for the update. We know these things take time, as well as much effort and thought. I am sure you will have success in the end..

Can you give us an update on the status of the daughter board for original WaveIO? Is that still a plan or should we all just wait for new Note model?

Best regards,
Alex
Maybe I should look to finish DB and then Note but now I can see that things are happening with a purpose. Note and DB are going head to head, when it comes to what I have in mind regarding USB interfaces still... I'm not quite happy with Note for now so I'm taking my chances with DB this time with a different approach. Eventually both designs will be close from the technical side of things even though, as a WaveIO owner said to me in the past days, Note seems that is not made by me (too many space constraints).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveswan View Post
Hi, Lorien

We checked with XMOS guys, besides re-clock, the other key item is to use SLAVE mode. Let DAC core provides BCLK, WCLK, and aligned SD related.

Don't push yourself too hard... ;-) and congratulations for your great design!
Yep, I looked at that opportunity too but doesn't solve my issues with actual board (which has to act like as a I2S master). Thank you for you kind effort in helping me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrling View Post
Hi Lorien

I read that -

Wasapi was rewritten for windows 8 and wasapi exclusive event mode is able to communicate directly with dma via drivers, wasapi event uses an event trigger from the device to fill the whole buffer rather than a timed event and calculation to fill the remaining buffer.

Communicating via DMA would give a potentially better SQ.

Do you know whether the Thesycon driver you offer with WaveIO does support Windows 8 WASAPI Exclusive with DMA transfer?

Many thanks

Jonathan
Tomorrow I'll pass your question to Thesycon hoping that they will answer. Be sure that I'll keep you in touch as soon as I have something to share.
Kind regards,
L
Old 19th August 2013, 02:58 PM   #1838
diyAudio Member

Default Settings - I see very little about these

I have mine set to minimal latency and 256 samples but since I can only make these changes within the registry it is hard to make quicky comparisons. Though simple enough to do it there. (have to use another computer to do it)

I am using WINDOWS XP and cMP pared down to 17 mB, no EXPLORER or anything else.

Curious to hear what settings folks are using.
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:40 AM   #1839
diyAudio Member

Default Thesycon drivers and DMA

@ jrling: Jonathan, I got an answer from Ute from Thesycon so I'll forward it to you (or anyone else interested in this matter):
Quote:
Our driver should work under Windows 8 in WASAPI Exclusive mode with DMA transfer. DMA transfers in context of WASAPI means that the Audio data is transferred unmodified from the application to the driver. The buffers are not directly mapped to USB, because USB needs a special packet format. The samples are copied in the driver, but that didn't influence the sound quality. In the other modes (not WASAPI Exclusive modes) the samples are modified by Microsoft's KSMixer. Microsoft's KSMixer does samplerate conversion and mixing audio from different application if needed. It is hard to test the WASAPI Exclusive mode, because of the missing applications that supports WASAPI Exclusive mode.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited by Lorien; 22nd August 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 23rd August 2013, 06:10 PM   #1840
jrling is offline jrling  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default DMA

Thanks for following that up for me.

To be honest though, I don't know really what they are saying!

I am using WASAPI Exclusive Mode and USB (to WaveIO), but is there any setting that might use DMA and if so will it make any difference to SQ?

Sorry to be so stupid.

Jonathan

Hide this!Advertise here!