XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 172 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2013, 06:15 AM   #1711
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Mah View Post
The TDA1541a in simultaneous mode (I2S input) accepts up to 96 kHz only as far as I know. For 192 kHz, simultaneous mode with separate data L to pin 3 and data R to pin 4 is required. The WaveIO does not provide this output. Iancanada has something coming out in groupbuy that can do this.
Thanks Ben!

I went through the thread and it seems iancanada has some problem too with normal continuous clock operation, read the post #389.

Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board
Old 8th May 2013, 01:45 PM   #1712
manudrz is offline manudrz  France
diyAudio Member

Some news about an update firmware and/or drivers ?
Old 9th May 2013, 06:46 PM   #1713
diyAudio Member

Drivers don't need to be updated as are reported to be stable... not to mention that there's nothing new from XMOS on this side. Firmware, though, is another story. I managed to make WaveIO work on 32/384 but the software is not fully tested. I could release a bin file and make a pdf with instructions on how to update the EEPROM contents but only if there are few who want to become beta testers.
Kind regards,
L
Old 9th May 2013, 07:30 PM   #1714
diyAudio Member

Location: Madrid - Capital of the Kingdom of Spain / Chamberí, newest state in Europe ;-)
Here is one volunteer for starters ....

My setup: Macbook Pro w/ Mac OSX Mountain Lion (it could run win7 if you "force" me to... )

cheers
Pepe
Old 11th May 2013, 04:43 PM   #1715
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Mah View Post
The TDA1541a in simultaneous mode (I2S input) accepts up to 96 kHz only as far as I know. For 192 kHz, simultaneous mode with separate data L to pin 3 and data R to pin 4 is required. The WaveIO does not provide this output. Iancanada has something coming out in groupbuy that can do this.
The TDA1541 accepts up to 176,4 kHz (4-f OS) and the A-version higher even in 8-fold OS:

Quote:
FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION
The TDA1541A accepts input sample formats in time multiplexed mode or simultaneous mode up to 16-bit word length.
The most significant bit (MSB) must always be first. The flexible input data format allows easy interfacing with signal processing chips such as interpolation filters, error correction circuits, pulse code modulation adaptors and XMOS digital signal processors (DSP).
The high maximum input bit-rate and fast setting facilitates application in 8 ´ oversampling systems (44.1 kHz to 352.8 kHz or 48 kHz to 384 kHz) with the associated simple analog filtering function (low order, linear phase
filter).
The chip documentation does not specify that a specific mode is needed for a higher rate.

But I have seen that Philips some way or another pushed the chip into a 18-bits mode. And I remember this was the case in the Sony DAS R1.
Old 19th May 2013, 09:15 AM   #1716
diyAudio Member

Dear Lorien ... Can you share with us your project timeline for the Daughter board to be completed? Many thanks!
Old 20th May 2013, 03:43 AM   #1717
doylep is offline doylep  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Najda Support

Hi Lorien,
Can you let me know if there will be many issues getting I2S working with the Najda board ? I am looking for a USB I2S solution for Najda.
I believe you and Nick are working on a soultion.

Regards Peter.
Old 20th May 2013, 07:10 AM   #1718
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerfulYC View Post
Dear Lorien ... Can you share with us your project timeline for the Daughter board to be completed? Many thanks!
Today or tomorrow I'll finally finish the actual design which, I guess, few of you already know something about it but I'll post the details when is done. As usual, it was turned to layout stage right before the manufacturer was ready to build the masks for the PCB as I had to make some last minute changes to improve its functionality. Beating designs to death and squeezing all what's left of it is something usual now and I'm used to that! The bottom line is that I'll be fully devoted to daughter card after this new board will be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylep View Post
Hi Lorien,
Can you let me know if there will be many issues getting I2S working with the Najda board ? I am looking for a USB I2S solution for Najda.
I believe you and Nick are working on a soultion.
Regards Peter.
I do not know yet why there's a problem wiring WaveIO to Najda card when things are looking good to me (?)... at least from theoretical side! Anyway, we're working together to find the source of the problem and solve it thus the first step will be to exchange boards and run few parallel tests in same configuration. For now I'll wait for him to come back to office, which I guess it will be tomorrow, and send the test WaveIO board asap.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited by Lorien; 20th May 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 21st May 2013, 01:01 AM   #1719
doylep is offline doylep  Australia
diyAudio Member

Great to hear you guys are working together on the solution, myself along with others would be very appreciative.
Old 21st May 2013, 05:11 PM   #1720
diyAudio Member

@ doylep: Let's hope it will come out something good from this experiment
BTW, I changed my first post of this thread just to show you the steps you need to follow to update the stock WaveIO's firmware for 32 @ 384 KHz sample rate (Pepe? ).
Enjoy,
L

Last edited by Lorien; 21st May 2013 at 05:22 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!