XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 162 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2013, 12:00 PM   #1611
Salomon is offline Salomon  Germany
diyAudio Member

I am very interested to order a WaveIO board to play together with the SotM tX-USB exp PCI Express Card, using the buffered SPDIF out of the WaveIO.

Are there any known issues with this combination?

Last edited by Salomon; 19th January 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:07 AM   #1612
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy it up View Post
Hi Lorien,
Thanks, for your fast replay! My Behringer DCX 2496 is not in master mode anymore, because I build out the master clock and use a SRC upgrade board (from Peter Oettle) with own low jitter master clock instead. My intension is to use the Wave board as master via I2S in fixed mode 24bit / 96kHz and also use the clock from the Wave board (24.576 MHz) as master clock / in master mode. In this case I would extract the Oettel SRC upgrade board completely. Would this be a solution? Or is it the wrong way?
Thanks, Rainer
Well, I suppose the SRC card tries to accommodate two clock regions: input clock vs DCX clock?
If so, WaveIO cannot do this as it's acting as a master all the time thus it cannot listen the DCX's requests involving I2S bus. I guess the simple way to start with would be to wire WaveIO to your SRC board (made by Peter Oettle) and after positive results then try to bypass it by connect your WaveIO card directly to DCX I2S bus... and see what's happen
As for 24/96 requirements... WaveIO is kinda WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get - more or less ) thus, for example, if this card does receive 192 kHz streams the it will output it in the same way (@ 192 Khz). I cannot output it at different sample rate as there's no ASRC module implemented in the XMOS chip nor I want it to do. The main goal is to leave the streams go through this card without any digital processing involved.
Here you have to choose the audio files that are at the quality requested by DCX gear (24/96) or resample them with external processor/resampler.
I hope it helps, L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabanyayaya View Post
To Lorien or anyone who have assemble the board, can I have a clear description the true current requirement for the board since the beginning of this thread Lorien mention the board needs about 600mA of current but from the description of DDDAC guy it need 380mA !!! So which is the right one as I'm in the middle of finding the right pars for the PSU.
Doede is right, I'm not At the time I wrote those stupid results I had a poorly designed chinese crap. Now I got other two as well but, at least, shows different results, both close to 380mA. So, please accept my apologies if this create confusion and choose 380mA as the current needed for WaveIO to run properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
Sorry that I am late to this discussion. I was told of this device and want to give it a try.

I see the mention of the daughter board and I have looked through pages and pages of posts but there are too many to read them all.

Would someone please tell me what this will do.

I am definitely ordering the WaveIO and as any obsessed audiophile I want the best possible result.

THANKS in advance!
There are few replies to your email addresses, don't know i you have any of them as I didn't get any answers from you yet. I'll wait for your PM.
Thank you,
L
Old 20th January 2013, 11:10 AM   #1613
diyAudio Member

Hello Lorien..

My WaveIO card run with mpd on BuffIIIse without any problems in the test.
After a test on a PC with waveio driver ( it works perfect)
i wanted to hear again with mpd but there is no sound. When I use the PC i have sound, MPD no sound.
When I use the mpd with another I2S Interface i have sound .
Only the WaveIO with MPD no sound since test with Windows ...

Please help
Old 20th January 2013, 04:35 PM   #1614
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post

Doede is right, I'm not At the time I wrote those stupid results I had a poorly designed chinese crap. Now I got other two as well but, at least, shows different results, both close to 380mA. So, please accept my apologies if this create confusion and choose 380mA as the current needed for WaveIO to run properly.

no need to....i got it all just fine thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:26 AM   #1615
Bemused is offline Bemused  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just poping in to say I have the WaveIO taking asynchronous USB from an O2 Joggler running sqpOS and feeding a pair of Buffalo via isolated I2S and its been a significant upgrade over S/PDIF.
Many thanks Lorien
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:38 AM   #1616
diyAudio Member

Buffalo II can also play DSD data stream. I heard about some benefits of converting PCM into DSD and then to analogue (NAD is doing it in their M51 DAC).

The last version of Jriver can convert PCM to DSD on the fly, but how to get the converted DSD stream from the PC into BII ?

Can WaveIO handle DSD stream ?
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:41 AM   #1617
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinski View Post
but how to get the converted DSD stream from the PC into BII ?

Exa, Amanero.
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:46 AM   #1618
diyAudio Member

There was a project to get the XMOS chip to support DSD but it was not directly applicable to WaveIO due to some customisation of the PCB/circuit design compared to the XMOS reference design so the current WaveIO doesn't support it to my knowledge.

Chris
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:01 AM   #1619
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey Patrik1005,

have a look at the Alsa config, sometimes it mutes the output with the WaveIO, be the first place to look. There was a convo in this thread sometime back. Look through here.

Cheers,

Drew.
Old 22nd January 2013, 03:36 PM   #1620
diyAudio Member

Hello Pet-240

Alsa is to 100%, will be recognized as waveIO Device0 subd 0
it is also entered in mpd.conf
the sound-test and mpd brings no sound with waveio, with miniUSB of dsp4you is the sound present with audio-test and mpd
(horrible sound ),

Windows and WaveIO works fine
first time WaveIO run with super sound on alixboard with voyagempd. Only since the Windows test it no longer works.

Same result after power WaveIO with USBPower and Restart ...

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!