XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 159 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2013, 10:05 AM   #1581
jrling is offline jrling  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem View Post
The A13-OLinuXino-WIFI is an interesting board at a nice price, using a GL850G for USB hub, which from my experiences with external powered hubs which use the same chip, is not going to be a problem with Linux. I don't suppose anyone has tried the WaveIO with this board?
Clive - like you I thought the Olimex Board looked an excellent choice. I have a WaveIO but I am using mpdPup to drive it - with great success. Unfortunately, mpdPup does not currently exist in ARM code form. I would be loathe to ditch mpdPup without finding a transport that gave similar or better results and wondered how you find Squeezelite as a transport? Certainly, looks like you need to be highly technically knowledgeable looking at the Squeezelite minimalist website!
Old 13th January 2013, 11:32 AM   #1582
clivem is offline clivem  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrling View Post
I would be loathe to ditch mpdPup without finding a transport that gave similar or better results and wondered how you find Squeezelite as a transport? Certainly, looks like you need to be highly technically knowledgeable looking at the Squeezelite minimalist website!
Squeezelite is just a simple, "dumb" client that you run from the command line. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the same track played via the mpd or squeezelite, from the same hardware, through the same USB port. You might need to set a command line option to tell it to use the WaveIO, rather than the default board audio output, but that aside, there isn't really anything to it. Obviously, being a simple "dumb" client, it depends on a Logitech Media Server running somewhere on your local network.
Old 13th January 2013, 01:35 PM   #1583
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem View Post
Squeezelite is just a simple, "dumb" client that you run from the command line. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the same track played via the mpd or squeezelite, from the same hardware, through the same USB port. You might need to set a command line option to tell it to use the WaveIO, rather than the default board audio output, but that aside, there isn't really anything to it. Obviously, being a simple "dumb" client, it depends on a Logitech Media Server running somewhere on your local network.
Thanks Clive

I think the essential difference between mpdPup and Squeezelite is that the former is a 'memory player' and Squeezelite is effectively a music streaming client (for LMS). So mpdPup loads a complete track into RAM and outputs it to WaveIO, whereas I am guessing that Squeezelite is streaming packets in real time?

Do tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree there.
Old 13th January 2013, 02:17 PM   #1584
clivem is offline clivem  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the essential difference between mpdPup and Squeezelite is that the former is a 'memory player' and Squeezelite is effectively a music streaming client (for LMS). So mpdPup loads a complete track into RAM and outputs it to WaveIO, whereas I am guessing that Squeezelite is streaming packets in real time?
Well, I don't know anything about mpdPup. But yes, LMS is streaming in real time to squeezelite. Squeezelite has decode and output buffers in memory, but does not buffer a whole track.
Old 13th January 2013, 04:30 PM   #1585
diyAudio Member

Default mpdPup

mpdPup is to be recommended.

A v small distro for exclusively running MPD for best SQ. Boots and runs from a USB stick so completely non-invasive. 60MB in total.

Many on the forums give it 'Best in class' reviews. Certainly works brilliantly with my WaveIO.
Old 13th January 2013, 04:43 PM   #1586
staki is offline staki  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I'd better keep the WaveIO card alone on the USB port.

Is it possible to run mpdPup from a SSD or a Compact Flash Card ?
Old 13th January 2013, 05:10 PM   #1587
palmito is offline palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staki View Post
Is it possible to run mpdPup from a SSD or a Compact Flash Card ?
Yes. it's just another linux distro optimized for size and efficiency. You can install it in anything where it would fit (usb stick, ssd, hd, usb hd, etc.) and is s bootable device. Then add storage or even increase the original partition's size to fill the size of your new install device. By keeping the music somewhere else in the network or on another disk that gets mounted by the system after it boots you can freely update the mpdPup without worries about hosing your music filles.
Old 13th January 2013, 05:11 PM   #1588
diyAudio Member

Hi - I run the WaveIO and mpdPup USB stick both from USB ports. The quality is excellent. When booting mpdPup the USB stick loads the whole OS into RAM and thereafter the USB stick is redundant. You can even unplug it! I would not recommend that as when you close down mpdPup it saves the config back to the USB stick (in case you made any config changes).

It is possible to install mpdPup to SSD or CF.

See here for full details.

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

Let me know how you find mpdPup.
Old 13th January 2013, 06:26 PM   #1589
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When booting mpdPup the USB stick loads the whole OS into RAM and thereafter the USB stick is redundant.
Very good thing ! So no possible conflicts between both devices when playing hi-rez files.
Thanks for the link.
Quote:
Let me know how you find mpdPup.
Unfortunately I'll have to wait a little. The WaveIO card was shipped a few days ago from Rumania and I am still waiting to receive it. And after that I'll have to build the power supplies and the whole DAC.
For now I am using a RME 9632 soundcard on a mini-itx motherboard, and when I tried mpdPup on a USB stick it didn't recognize the soundcard so I couldn't test it at all.

Last edited by staki; 13th January 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 13th January 2013, 06:29 PM   #1590
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmito View Post
Yes. it's just another linux distro optimized for size and efficiency. You can install it in anything where it would fit (usb stick, ssd, hd, usb hd, etc.) and is s bootable device. Then add storage or even increase the original partition's size to fill the size of your new install device. By keeping the music somewhere else in the network or on another disk that gets mounted by the system after it boots you can freely update the mpdPup without worries about hosing your music filles.
For now I have all my files on a SATA HDD. But it is formatted in NTFS. I don't know if mpdPup can read the NTFS partitions, or if I have to reformat the whole HDD in ext3 or another Linux format.

Hide this!Advertise here!