XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 155 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2012, 08:31 PM   #1541
diyAudio Member

It looks, that i solved the problem.

First thing - Buffalo II DAC has a switch at the digital input. It should be "ON" when you want connect spdif and should be "OFF" when you want connect i2s or dsd. On my dac the switch was in ON position ....

The strange noise dissappeared, but there was a break every 12 seconds when listening to SBT and every 20s when listening to Notebook.

I resetted completely SBT, installed new 7.8 beta firmware, than EDO app and than update to a newest kernel from Triode - all problems dissappeared.

I will test notebook in a few days, but it looks, that my SBT/WaveIO/Buffalo II are now correctly set and adjusted.
Old 21st December 2012, 05:21 PM   #1542
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrog View Post
Lucian,

You wrote:
You can place another one there or I advice you to extend the
bypass network by adding more in parallel to lower the local impedance

What is your suggestion?
Well, not too much besides adding one-two more in parallel with values not too far from each other to avoid antiresonance effect. I would go on other decoupling scheme involving Murata and TDK products. I guess there are more than two years ago when I found some EMI filters that got my attention but are harder to solder for a regular DIYer and comes in 0603 package (imperial) with 4 electrodes. There's not such a footprint on actual WaveIO card. I still suggest to place your 3.3Vreg close to the isolator power pins. It will make your life much easier
Merry Christmas,
L

Last edited by Lorien; 21st December 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 24th December 2012, 09:30 PM   #1543
diyAudio Member

Hello,

it looks awesome! I would like to know if it's working fine with modern Linux kernels?
Is it detected as audio output device?
Anyone tried to get bit perfect output with bypassing the Pulse Audio?

Best regards
Old 25th December 2012, 02:46 PM   #1544
Ben Mah is offline Ben Mah  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda2 View Post
Hello,

it looks awesome! I would like to know if it's working fine with modern Linux kernels?
Is it detected as audio output device?
Anyone tried to get bit perfect output with bypassing the Pulse Audio?

Best regards

I am running linux kernel 3.3.2 in a Debian Pogoplug and it works fine with the WaveIO. i play music with alsa in MPD and it outputs bit perfect data as long as the bit rate is not specified in mpd.conf.
Old 25th December 2012, 05:54 PM   #1545
clivem is offline clivem  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Mah View Post
I am running linux kernel 3.3.2 in a Debian Pogoplug and it works fine with the WaveIO. i play music with alsa in MPD and it outputs bit perfect data as long as the bit rate is not specified in mpd.conf.
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but can I ask if you have tried high-res >=96k with the Pogoplug? Any pops or clicks? (Have you also verified that it is being detected as async. ie. Class 2 USB?)

(I had no end of problems with a Raspberry Pi, before I gave up, but I think that says more about the Pi's USB driver than anything else.)
Old 25th December 2012, 06:08 PM   #1546
staki is offline staki  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem View Post
(I had no end of problems with a Raspberry Pi, before I gave up, but I think that says more about the Pi's USB driver than anything else.)
As far as I know, USB and LAN share the same system bus on the Raspberry.
That could explain your problems......

Personally I gave up the Raspberry and took a mini-itx motherboard.
Old 25th December 2012, 06:23 PM   #1547
clivem is offline clivem  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staki View Post
Personally I gave up the Raspberry and took a mini-itx motherboard.
Me too!

Yes, the ethernet on the Pi is via USB hub. I haven't found one person who has successfully got any Class 2 USB audio device working with Pi. Sure, you can fiddle around with alsa buffer settings until you are blue in the face and end up 99% there, a very occasional pop or click, but it seems impossible to get it perfect. There was a bug report where someone had debugged packet loss, USB was dropping packets under load, which would explain a lot.

I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who has used the WaveIO successfully with more powerful ARM chips, like the Cortex 8/9, maybe with a Pandaboard or Beagleboard? Anyone?
Old 26th December 2012, 12:02 AM   #1548
deandob is offline deandob  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you want a more powerful ARM based board, good price & build, decent community support check out https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/
Old 26th December 2012, 06:58 AM   #1549
Ben Mah is offline Ben Mah  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but can I ask if you have tried high-res >=96k with the Pogoplug? Any pops or clicks? (Have you also verified that it is being detected as async. ie. Class 2 USB?)

My tda1541a dac with I2S input supports 96 kHz max, so I have not tried higher sampling rate. However, definitely 96 kHz material passes through to the dac with no glitches.
Old 26th December 2012, 08:35 AM   #1550
staki is offline staki  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who has used the WaveIO successfully with more powerful ARM chips, like the Cortex 8/9, maybe with a Pandaboard or Beagleboard? Anyone?
Not sure at all, but it is possible that USB Audio Class 2, although recognized by recent Linux kernels, only works on i386 architectures, not ARM ones.

Hide this!Advertise here!