XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 150 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2012, 01:47 PM   #1491
Magsy is offline Magsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

^ What qusp said. I have one similar and it has a buck/boost.
Instead of putting the batteries in series it puts them in parallel so it must make 3.7-4.2v into 5v somehow...it probably has 4 x 18650 inside it.
Old 10th December 2012, 01:53 PM   #1492
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
you can bet it includes a switching regulator/limiter (the 12000mAH 'battery pack'), not an excellent option to power a DAC IMO. switchers can be good, if designed with noise in mind they are now very viable for even hi-END IMO, but its extremely unlikely this battery charger was designed with any of that in mind
pardon me

a fix regulator after a battery is bad...is this u mean ?
Old 10th December 2012, 02:07 PM   #1493
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabanyayaya View Post
pardon me

a fix regulator after a battery is bad...is this u mean ?
no, what I mean is, the battery pack you linked already includes a switching regulator/DC buck-boost upconvertor internally. it is not just a battery and there is little/no chance its designed with keeping the switching frequency and its harmonics out of the audio band.

there is every chance it is noisier than even the cheapest AC powered linear regulator. I see people use this type of thing in audio thinking 'its a battery, it must be good' without relizing this type of thing by law must be both current limited and in this case also regulated for battery charging and that regulation will be switchmode

in short, it contains exactly the same type of noise you are trying to avoid by not using USB

Last edited by qusp; 10th December 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10th December 2012, 03:10 PM   #1494
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no, what I mean is, the battery pack you linked already includes a switching regulator/DC buck-boost upconvertor internally. it is not just a battery and there is little/no chance its designed with keeping the switching frequency and its harmonics out of the audio band.

there is every chance it is noisier than even the cheapest AC powered linear regulator. I see people use this type of thing in audio thinking 'its a battery, it must be good' without relizing this type of thing by law must be both current limited and in this case also regulated for battery charging and that regulation will be switchmode

in short, it contains exactly the same type of noise you are trying to avoid by not using USB
thanks for the details

is there any chance to see some example battery psu that can be use for the Wave IO similar to Red Wine Battery PSU
Old 10th December 2012, 08:20 PM   #1495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staki View Post
I had the idea first to use two COD modules from Twisted Pear, with PCM1794A in dual mono mode, but suddenly I have seen this kit: http://www.dddac.com/dddac1794.html
I didn't know that Lorien was building WaveIO kits for Doede Douma !
The DAC kit with dual mono PCM 1794A in non-oversampling mode and passive output seems really interesting ! ...
Well yes, are "genuine" WaveIOs but without SPDIF outputs and related logic as Doede doesn't need it in his DAC (and frankly I understand ). As for measurements, from what I can recall he took his hobby quite serious as his latest addition is AN system two gear... per his statement found here.
Cheers,
L
Old 11th December 2012, 01:34 AM   #1496
diyAudio Member

not audionote, audioprecision =) its not just a hobby for Doede afaik, hes been selling dac modules for many years. of course it may not be his fulltime day job.

myself I dont quite understand the use of pcm1794A as a NOS dac with passive IV; but hey it takes all types.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:48 AM   #1497
diyAudio Member

@Lorien,
can we reach hundred of daughter boards? ;-)
Some news about your development?
Old 11th December 2012, 06:48 AM   #1498
diyAudio Member

del, was a double post
Old 11th December 2012, 01:16 PM   #1499
staki is offline staki  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
myself I dont quite understand the use of pcm1794A as a NOS dac with passive IV;
May I ask why you don't ?
Old 11th December 2012, 02:21 PM   #1500
diyAudio Member

see PM

Hide this!Advertise here!