XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 122 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2012, 02:09 PM   #1211
diyAudio Member

my problem turned out to be a false contact on the wiring. now i'm getting the best sound i've ever heard. thanks lucian!
Old 22nd September 2012, 05:22 PM   #1212
Bemused is offline Bemused  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Lorien, I have a board on order with your good self, yet to be received.
To this end I am a little unsure if the daughter board would be required, my new board may include the modification?
Sorry for the dumb question but I have not quite grasped how this works, maybe you need more money for the board I have on order to include the modifications.

Regards
Tony
Old 22nd September 2012, 05:50 PM   #1213
diyAudio Member

my adum usb isolator only works in windows recognized as a class 1.0 usb device. even then i have to fiddle with waveio every time i turn on the computer to get it working properly. what i do is put the waveio back in usb power mode, switch it to ext. power, then plug in the isolator inbetween. in linux it's not even recognized. any input anyone?
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:22 PM   #1214
Hacker is offline Hacker  United States
diyAudio Member

1. hirez69
2. analog_sa
3. m.massimo
4. ozlegend
5. luisbock
6. vitalica
7. palmito
8. gabanyayaya
9. danny_66
10. shoom
11.12. kp93300 X 2
13. lindamar
14. merlin el mago
15. Reo
16. arkadiush1
17. jmltinc
18. zibra
19. tagheuer
20. hochopeper
21. hacker
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:32 PM   #1215
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi Lorien,
My other friend wants a daughter board also. This is 2 boards for me then.
Any more details about the integration between the wave io and the duaghter board? We expect lower jitter ? Better ground isolation ? More music details ?
Another power supply needed. ? etc
thanks

kp93300
Well the point is to provide isolation between (USB + XMOS + Surrounding logic) vs (oscillators + Flip-Flops). In addition I hope the jitter will be lowered this way. I do not know if the SQ will be improved but I really do hope so since this is the main goal As for PSUs, there will be some in addition those already used but I'm still in designing process and I do not now for sure how many. For the moment two are involved which have to be completely different from what WaveIO uses (no ground connection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSapian View Post
https://www.sellarz.co.kr:127/shoppi...il.php?pi=1856

im trying to use this tda1543 board with the direct out of waveio with no success. ive connected data, lrck, bclk accordingly and left mclk untouched. the grounds of the tda1543 goes to usb ground on waveio. and... there is no sound! help....
I saw that you solved your issue so I hope it will be a good SQ. As for isolators, there were others that have tried ADUM USB isolators with WaveIO but without success probably because is capable of USB 1.x speed and WaveIO enumerates itself as a High speed device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamar View Post
Lucian,

I mainly user the player that comes with the Ipad, but also tested other apps like "Golden Ear" (which plays almost any file format) and Spotify. I guess that you can virtually listen to any app that outputs sound ....

Nevertheless donŽt forget that if you want to connect an USB cable to the Ipad youŽll need a "camera adapter" like this one:

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (U.S.)

Cheers
Pepe
Noted, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemused View Post
Hi Lorien, I have a board on order with your good self, yet to be received.
To this end I am a little unsure if the daughter board would be required, my new board may include the modification?
Sorry for the dumb question but I have not quite grasped how this works, maybe you need more money for the board I have on order to include the modifications.

Regards
Tony
There's no daughter card integration as for now I only have done the DFU feature (which is released "by default" with all new cards shipped after 10 Sept), free of any charges.
Kind regards,
L
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:37 PM   #1216
diyAudio Member

Forgot about a question to all of you guys: I would need help in searching for a really good power supply for the oscillators which can be squeezed in a relative small PCB space (3.3V @ 100-200mA max)? I opted for Salas but he does not like the idea to have his design implemented in a commercial product so I respect his decision and move on. There's LP5900 approach (already used in WaveIO) but I feel that is something better out there...
Thank you,
L
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:09 PM   #1217
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

if its just for clocks, which are pretty low current and honestly i'm not even sure why you would bother with a regulator that is focused on high dynamic performance and low impedance, like the salas shunts. great regs, but for clocks the requirements are pretty different, they just want the lowest noise, they are about as benign a load as can be, just need constant current, constant voltage, hardly any dynamic regulation is needed.. for something to fit in a small space, I would do something akin to the flea, very similar to what acko uses for his clock regs, just a low noise reference like LTC6655, MAX6126 in series with, or wrapped in the feedback loop of an amplifier

basically something like this

for compact high performance clock and analogue reference circuits, lately i'm using the wire SE-SE ultra low noise headphone amp with the front end of the above but with the LTC6655 in place of the MAX to make for an adjustable, wide bandwidth very low noise dual regulator capable of up to 12-13vdc @250ma. the problem with the linear chip is it kinda wants a large film cap bypass for best noise performance, you've seen the result of that on the latest gen of ackos regs with the huge blue caps. if you dont need that much current, like if you only need 20-25ma you dont need the buffer, just the opamp or an opamp and a small mosfet like above. works out pretty compact and the PCB is the only heatsink needed for up to 250ma at low voltages, but my version with the buffers and 'the wire' isnt exactly low dropout (but then neither is the salas, its better than that)

for clocks i've also played with using the same circuit but instead of the reference, just connect a LiFePO4 battery (conveniently 3.3-3.45vdc), ive not had to charge it yet, it draws ”W from the battery due to the massive input impedance of the opamp, so should last almost indefinitely

Last edited by qusp; 22nd September 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:23 PM   #1218
Bemused is offline Bemused  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

1. hirez69
2. analog_sa
3. m.massimo
4. ozlegend
5. luisbock
6. vitalica
7. palmito
8. gabanyayaya
9. danny_66
10. shoom
11.12. kp93300 X 2
13. lindamar
14. merlin el mago
15. Reo
16. arkadiush1
17. jmltinc
18. zibra
19. tagheuer
20. hochopeper
21. hacker
22. Bemused
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:44 PM   #1219
diyAudio Member

Hi,
How much is the PCB?
Do you still have ultra low phase noise NDKs?
Old 23rd September 2012, 05:39 AM   #1220
diyAudio Member

I agree with qusp's post above entirely.

This isn't the application where salas regs would shine. Unfortunately I haven't got much to add in terms of technical suggestions/alternatives at this stage.

Hide this!Advertise here!