XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 108 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2012, 03:48 PM   #1071
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHill View Post
Sorry for the double post, not sure how that happened!
Hi James,

Nice setup!

Just one little thing, and I'm sure it is because you're not 100% finished but your u.fl cables should be much shorter, especially the ones from the WaveIO to the FIFO.

Other than that, the most important thing is that you like the sound that it produce. I'm sure that will inspire many other builders.

Do
Old 24th August 2012, 04:47 PM   #1072
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Hi James,

Nice setup!

Just one little thing, and I'm sure it is because you're not 100% finished but your u.fl cables should be much shorter, especially the ones from the WaveIO to the FIFO.

Other than that, the most important thing is that you like the sound that it produce. I'm sure that will inspire many other builders.

Do
Hi!

Thanks for the advice, I should have mentioned that this is my development "mule" setup. I have been working on the Buffalo 2 for a while experimenting with sources and configurations, including adding a "HiFiDuino" control/display, and running the Wave IO from an ALIX 3d2 board running Voyage MPD Linux.

In the final configuration the FIFO will be mounted directly next to the Buffalo with very short u.fl cables. The I2s feed to the FIFO will be via Twisted Pear "transporter"modules from a separate source selection/conversion enclosure, housing the Wave IO.

I havent decided on the exact final configuration yet but thats the general idea!

Best Regards,

James.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.jpg (782.3 KB, 643 views)
Old 24th August 2012, 10:07 PM   #1073
ceausuc is offline ceausuc  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default SPDIF

Does this board also has SPDIF output to be connected to DACS that have coax RCA input? From the photos it seems like it does, there are some pins labeled SPDIF.
Old 25th August 2012, 08:55 AM   #1074
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have a question regarding the impedance of the coaxial cables for I2S signalling, should this be 50 Ohm? What other specifications are needed/advised for I2S signalling?

Frequency range? etc.

Last edited by Corpius; 25th August 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 25th August 2012, 09:05 AM   #1075
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

One more question. Should the shielding connect to the gnd connections at the I2S inputs/outputs?
Old 25th August 2012, 11:25 AM   #1076
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the late reply guys!
@ soundcheck: When WaveIO was designed I didn't thought at this aspect (of changing current values in USB descriptors) so the plain answer so far is: no, iPad will not accept WaveIO as the last one will report 500mA due enumeration. In the meanwhile (I think) I've found where do I have to change for WaveIO to report a power consumption of 20mA or less hoping that iPad will accept it. Tests are not completed yet but I'll let you know when I have a stable firmware.
If it works, there will be two: the old one (with no "iPad support") and this new one that will work only with external supply (as long as 20mA or less will be of no good for WaveIO when plugged into an ordinary USB port).

@ zibra: I'm waiting for the measurements. We will continue to discuss this over PMs.

@ ceausuc: there are two SPDIF outputs available which can be wired to your DAC: isolated (J11) and non-isolated (J10). I suggest I2S

@Corpius: well, I looked hard to find U.FL connectors/cables for 100R transmission lines but didn't find any @ distribuitors close to me (in EU) thus I went on 50R. The cables I'm using are of this type while receptacles can be found here. GND: I've read few theories that made me some headaches and the bottom line for me was to try and make the smallest GND loop as possible. Unfortunately, I can count five antennas just looking through my window so there's no chance for me right now to run some tests for the sake of curiosity. Plese do start by making 'standard' connections and later move on to other approaches... even so, it's most likely that the results will be directly dependent on your setup (...a little bit far from theory).

Kind regards,
L
Old 25th August 2012, 06:17 PM   #1077
diyAudio Member

Laptop problems arent that important right now. Im more focused on problem with 192 kHz. Friend got dac on ESS9018 which played it without any problems. Why USB doesnt "recognize" that format through WaveIO? Where to search problem?
Old 26th August 2012, 11:54 AM   #1078
reo is offline reo  Canada
diyAudio Member

by the way.... window 7 codex is 16/192 or is it 24/192 by default. window xp codex is 16/48 by default....if that helps.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:05 PM   #1079
diyAudio Member

System is Windows7 64 bit and WaveIo recognizes 48 and 96 files but not 192
Old 26th August 2012, 01:46 PM   #1080
reo is offline reo  Canada
diyAudio Member

i see... i am using a 16/44Hz usb dac with non WaveI/O card and even if win7/64 is 192Hz it will only register the limit of the dac that i am using.
On the other hand if i use buffalo dac it will register what this dac can deliver which is 24/192.

Hide this!Advertise here!