Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2012, 02:50 PM   #1001
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Hi all
on another note, can anyone point me to where i can get a driver for the Wave I/O that loads up to a linux environment ? i have lost all my info to a pc virus , therefore it's back to square 1 with reinstalling everything .
thank you
regards
reo
WaveIO is supported natively in Linux. You do not need any drivers.
Old 28th July 2012, 03:25 PM   #1002
reo is offline reo  Canada
diyAudio Member

thank you for your input ENsen i appreciate, i seen that it was installed and it was an option to use among other installed drivers,for some reason at this point linux mint this time around does not seem to want to handle it, i will search why it's so opinionated at this moment in time to not recognize it .
thanks
regards
reo
Old 28th July 2012, 03:28 PM   #1003
diyAudio Member

Do you get a device show in alsamixer?

If not try the command lsusb to list all usb devices recognised on the computer.

Also try a different usb port just to be sure that it is able to negotiate sufficient current (if the computer thinks that port is not able to support 500mA load on that usb port).
Old 28th July 2012, 05:03 PM   #1004
diyAudio Member

the device shows in alsamixer.
usb is not a problem for getting 500Ma since i'm also using a external ps to power usb hub.
i'm too new to linux to know how to use the terminal and terminology in linux to find out if the sound codec is therer or not so , i will sit on it for a while ...
regards
reo
Old 28th July 2012, 05:10 PM   #1005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the device shows in alsamixer.
usb is not a problem for getting 500Ma since i'm also using a external ps to power usb hub.
i'm too new to linux to know how to use the terminal and terminology in linux to find out if the sound codec is therer or not so , i will sit on it for a while ...
regards
reo
i have also tried a alternative sound system also using a usb for output and it works so Luckit is not transmitting or is there just not a codec responding to luckit's driver
Old 28th July 2012, 07:02 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i have also tried a alternative sound system also using a usb for output and it works so Luckit is not transmitting or is there just not a codec responding to luckit's driver
peculiar observation.. i tried my cd installed Linux Mint without installing it on a SSD drive like the one installed now and it works fine so... so when instalation of the Mint system is installed., something is not either installed or needs to be integrated so i get sound. Will post again , if you have any inputs on this matter.... please tell
Old 29th July 2012, 07:25 AM   #1007
diyAudio Member

If the device shows in alsamixer then it is a config problem, certainly strange that the livecd version has different config to a fresh install though!!

Check that the device isn't muted also, its a bit odd but it happens more than enough to be worth a check (it also sometimes will change back to muted after a reboot and no other changes).

Have you tried different software players?
Old 29th July 2012, 09:32 AM   #1008
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Good call Hochopeper,

In mpdPup the Wave was muted until changed in alsamixer and stored as default value otherwise each reboot would remute, this is being rectified in the next release.
Worth a looksee.....
Old 29th July 2012, 02:08 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

hi fellas
indeed i have backtracked so many a times , Wave recognizes everything and is locked up on the signal, there is no doubt about that., the speaker test mode is dead set to not activate my speakers. The speaker mute and un-mute scenario is the plausible cause to look at if i was a linux geek repair man i will leave it to the experts to point the right codec in the right direction.Tks. guys for the input .
Indeed tried most of the players and same result and same scenario showings.

On another note: Funny thing is that, with another sound system connected to linux she will operate if i use another stereo sound system setup using a normal usb output to this other dac without WaveI/O.,.... i must reconfirm by restting this setup and try to find things out and why this is .
reo cheers.
Old 29th July 2012, 09:19 PM   #1010
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just a quick check, in alsamixer you should get two vertical bars on screen. On the bottom of each bar, mine has an M 'mute' or '8' on its side the infinity sign, to unmute if mute shown, use the arrows and I believe the 'm' key, depends on the linux you are using, google mpdPup and it's in that thread, the store line may also work but no guarantees.
If you can see the M for sure it's muted, if it's locking I reckon this is where it's at, worth trying. To check on another Linux version, I can recommend mpdPup as wizards have been created to make install really simple.
Hope it goes well!

Drew.

Hide this!Advertise here!