XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2012, 01:08 AM   #991
diyAudio Member

Guys, thank you everybody for the detailed answers regarding BII Master Clock connection!

Maybe Lucien or others could help with two more "issues" please!?

1. whenever a song with a different sample rate is loading, there's a clicking noise coming through. I'm using Pure Music.

2. if i switch off the 5V EXT USB supply and back on again, Pure Music will hang and has to be restarted.

Is there a solution to any of this?
Old 22nd July 2012, 07:18 AM   #992
diyAudio Member

Hello,
what type of output are you using: I2S or SPDIF (or both)?
In case that it's isolated I2S, please make sure that you provide good decoupling to NVE chip. I suggest to use a 3-pin Vreg (super-regs style) and place it as close to that pin as possible. I don't recommend to use twisted wires while the vreg is placed relatively far from your WaveIO card since the decoupling cap mounted on board could not be effective at some sample rate freqs. That's an issue which will be solved in future revisions.
Let's take them one at a time
Kind regards,
L
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:47 AM   #993
diyAudio Member

Anyone tried to power up XMOS based device by such board?:

MB102 Breadboard Power Supply Module Adapter Shield 3.3V/5V For Arduino Board | eBay

Lets say I will use 12V 7,2Ah accumulator at input and then 5V output for XMOS device. Is it correct or I said something wrong?
Old 22nd July 2012, 05:22 PM   #994
diyAudio Member

Lorien, thank you! Yes, I'm using isolated I2S.

Should have checked before, both issues I've mentioned only show up when using Pure Music, with itunes alone no probs. Still, if somebody has any suggestions for this setup, please let me know.

Lucian, also greetings from Claudius, I'm the friend who got the second board, we are both very happy with your product and looking for the best way to put everything together here!

Abel
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:29 AM   #995
fmahia is offline fmahia  France
diyAudio Member

Very good sound with Squeezebox Touch (+EDO) -> WaveIO USB-I2S -> Gamma 2 Dac (tweak: direct I2S input, Lampizator tube output stage) -> First Watt F5 amp
Best sound I've heard at home until now.

Thanks Lorien.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:44 AM   #996
diyAudio Member

Hi Lucian, received my WaveIO a few days ago in perfect shape. I hooked it up to my BII and I'm discovering the sound of the WaveIO. My previous setup was PS3 (streaming from a Synology NAS) => BII => Dayens Ampino. Sounds silly to use a game console to use for streaming but actually this setup produces a very high quality sound (at least to my ears and taste). The PS3 produces a wide and deep and overall ballanced soundstage. The WaveIO (connected by isolated I2S) produces an even more deep and wide soundstage. It also seems "faster" then the PS3. For example high hat's almost seem explosive on some tracks. I have to get used to the WaveIO because it's even more pickier than the PS3. According to the quality of the music I'm feeding it with or wich kind of player I'm using the reproduced sound varies a lot. A lot of music sounds kind of "thin" now. On the contrary good recordings sound even more attractive and appealing! Guess it all has to do with the very sensitive setup I'm using right now wich reveals bad or less ballanced recordings (and that already was the case - to say the least - with my PS3) right away. One last thing, I was surprised by the difference in sound when playing from let say Windows Media Player, Foobar or JRiver. They all have there own sound characteristics. Windows Media Players for example has more low end and not so deep and wide sounscape. Foobar has less low end and JRiver has the best overall balance. Not sure which player I like the most. Lucian, thanx for this great product and keep you updated on my experience with the WaveIO. Paul.
Old 26th July 2012, 07:55 PM   #997
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default no sound ? defective wave io

I have been enjoying the wave io for the past few monts and suddenly there is no sound last night.
The linux and window 7 OS both detected the LUCKIT usb audio device but no sound . I use the isolated output of the wave io to test on 2 dac that worked well before.

I am planning to test with the non isolated output.
I have a few questions

Any suggestions in troubleshooting and identify the cause of the failure?
The centre pin of the uFL is the live one ?
There is only one ground point in the dac i2s input and can i use the ground off any uFL socket ?
thanks for the help

kp93300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7367.JPG (134.0 KB, 445 views)
Old 27th July 2012, 08:05 AM   #998
diyAudio Member

@ WhiteBull: Thank you for your kind words about WaveIO! Also please send my regards to Claudius! I hope you fixed your little trouble with PureMusic or found a viable alternative.
@ fmahia and edionysus: Thank you guys for confirming the delivery and for your feedback! I'm sorry Paul that WaveIO gives you headaches when it comes to players but I'm sure you will find out soon which one you'll like most
@ kp93300 you have PMs. The best alternative would be to send your card back to me to change any damaged chip I could find there. Other solution for you is to buy the isolator directly from any international distribuitor, like you suggested, but as I've told you in my PMs, this comes with few risks. I'll wait for your PM.
Kind regards to all,
L

Last edited by Lorien; 27th July 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 27th July 2012, 01:27 PM   #999
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBull View Post
Guys, thank you everybody for the detailed answers regarding BII Master Clock connection!

Maybe Lucien or others could help with two more "issues" please!?

1. whenever a song with a different sample rate is loading, there's a clicking noise coming through. I'm using Pure Music.

2. if i switch off the 5V EXT USB supply and back on again, Pure Music will hang and has to be restarted.

Is there a solution to any of this?
In my setup WaveIO to BII (synchronous connection) and Volumite to Legato
I found I had to turn on the power to WaveIO before the BII setup. I use a separate PS for the Wave IO. Also am a Pure Music user.
Old 28th July 2012, 02:48 PM   #1000
reo is offline reo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi all
on another note, can anyone point me to where i can get a driver for the Wave I/O that loads up to a linux environment ? i have lost all my info to a pc virus , therefore it's back to square 1 with reinstalling everything .
thank you
regards
reo

Hide this!Advertise here!