Kwak clock versus Tent clock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently replaced my Elso Kwak-Clock v7 with a Guido Tent XO2 to compare these clocks.

Notes:
The Tent XO2 is a pcb containing a low noise supply
My Kwak-Clock v7 implementation differs; it contains 3 individual current source fed shunt regulator supplies and uses a TI very high speed SMD comparator.

Application:
Non-oversampling cd player with TDA1543, synchronous reclocking using VHC logic, common base active I/V (see simple I/V threads)

No suspense, :cool:
the Tent XO2 clock sounds better than my implementation of Kwak-Clock v7

The differences are IMHO not shocking though;
Tent XO2 sounds a little "cleaner", more seperation of instruments
Attack is a little better too, I can hear more "plucking" of strings
Sound depth goes a bit deeper as well

The Kwak-clock has the best price/performance ratio I think.
Is the Tent XO2 clock worth the Euro 110 (incl. P&P) :confused:
Well, that's up to you. For me, it's an improvement, although considerably emptying my budget I've set for myself this year.

Thanks for sharing Your expirence with us.I'm planning to biuld Kwak clock,too.Would You please tell me what was the diffrance between CD player without the clock and with it.And ,also if Guido cloc brought 100% improvement,how much Elso Kwak clock brought? 80%,60%?
Bartek

rbroer said:
I've recently replaced my Elso Kwak-Clock v7 with a Guido Tent XO2 to compare these clocks.

Notes:
My Kwak-Clock v7 implementation differs; it contains 3 individual current source fed shunt regulator supplies and uses a TI very high speed SMD comparator.

Application:
Non-oversampling cd player with TDA1543, synchronous reclocking using VHC logic, common base active I/V (see simple I/V threads)

No suspense, :cool:
the Tent XO2 clock sounds better than my implementation of Kwak-Clock v7

The differences are IMHO not shocking though;
Tent XO2 sounds a little "cleaner", more seperation of instruments
Attack is a little better too, I can hear more "plucking" of strings
Sound depth goes a bit deeper as well

The Kwak-clock has the best price/performance ratio I think.
Is the Tent XO2 clock worth the Euro 110 (incl. P&P) :confused:
Well, that's up to you. For me, it's an improvement, although considerably emptying my budget I've set for myself this year.

dear Rudolf,

Thanks for your feedback. Some notes:

- I do not know total cost of Kwak clock (and not at all the cost of "turbo" version you built)
- XO2 is ready build, tested and adjusted, for the lazy DIY
- XO2 has 5 years warrantee

The sound may even improve when you use a seperate transformer / supply, this may be the case for both clocks.

For this reason I designed a choke input power supply, which gives very low grain.

best regards

rbroer said:

Notes:

Hi Rudolf,
Actually you did not build the KWAK-CLOCK-7 but something resembling it.
In the KWAK-CLOCK the AD8561 or MAX913 is used. You are using the TL3016 which I did not test.
Also you changed the powersupply. For better or for worse?:clown:

Elso,

Well, in fact I've used all 3 of these comparators Elso :cool:

I just try different variations each time.
Got one with discrete shunt regulators fed by J111 as ccs's.
Another with TL431's. I really don't hear that many changes between them. :cannotbe:

But for a reality check, I'll try the clock tonight again.
Have done loads of tweakings to the TDA1543:king: player. Man, this DAC is really sensitive to it's supply (caps :nod: ). Got tremendous bass now and so tight... :)
So maybe the clock preference has changed again :Ohno:

:devily: You once tried my LCAudio clock, so I'm willing to compare your implementation Elso. As a matter of fact, more and more I like these feedback-less emitter follower supplies :idea:

:wave2:

Feedback-less emittor follower power supply

rbroer said:
Elso,
. Man, this DAC is really sensitive to it's supply (caps :nod: ).
:devily:

As a matter of fact, more and more I like these feedback-less emitter follower supplies :idea:

Hi Rudolf,
Well version 6 of the KWAK-CLOCK was the best with the large decoupling caps an idea originated by you. Unfortunately version 6 gave big problems in Sony and CEC players. For those who want to try it replace C16 and C17 by a low ESR, large value f.a. 12000µF electrolytic.

You mean this one as supply for the DAC?:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=181882#post181882
:bigeyes:

Re: Feedback-less emittor follower power supply

Elso Kwak said:

Hi Rudolf,
Well version 6 of the KWAK-CLOCK was the best with the large decoupling caps an idea originated by you. Unfortunately version 6 gave big problems in Sony and CEC players. For those who want to try it replace C16 and C17 by a low ESR, large value f.a. 12000µF electrolytic.

You mean this one as supply for the DAC?:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=181882#post181882
:bigeyes:

the big cap is probably to get rid of low frequency noise on the supply (the ear is very sensitive for LF jitter)

In my clock I use an active filter that goes dwn very low, to avoid big caps, as they suffer from other problems as well.

regards

Elso,

I tried the Kwak clock again (with improved decouple caps) and after a few days the Tent clock went back in.

Same impressions again,
With the Tent clock it sounds more transparent, cleaner, very precise.
There are some other minor differences.
But other than that they sound quite similar to me.

The Kwak clock is more forgiving on bad recordings/mixes. With the Tent clock in, I hear exactly how bad (digital, harsh) the mix is.

BTW, I've played a lot with capacitors on the TDA1543.
For great bass :wiz: (which you like), drop me a :mail:. All those :bored: around here with them :$: BG and Oscons :headbash:

EDIT

I'll make one more pcb for the Kwak-Clock with a mod I talked a while ago to make the current draw of the fet stage nearly constant. Will let you know the results in due time.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
rbroer said:

BTW, I've played a lot with capacitors on the TDA1543.
For great bass :wiz: (which you like), drop me a :mail:. All those :bored: around here with them :$: BG and Oscons :headbash:

Tell me one good reason why BG/OSCON is not OK and I'll accept the remark. They are not expensive at all for the quality you get. There is a new dealer in the Netherlands for BG that sells 47 uF 6.3 V BG NX ( the very best of BG, forget the standard and other series ) for 2 Euro/piece. So what are you talking about ?

Did you ever try these caps ? Fdegrove was not too positive either before but his amps are loaded with them now after once trying them ;)

What do you think :devilr: ?
Sorry you felt attacked and offended :king:

Hmmm......

Who's that nude ?

Attachments

• p9190184.gif
    p9190184.gif
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,601
BG Dealer in the Netherlands

Hi Guys,

Check http://www.triodes.nl

I have to say, they are not :$: :$: :$: :$: :$:

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

P.S.
BTW I'v heard both klock's Tent and Kwak and they both are great, It's just a mather of tast ;)
Elso, are you planing a KC-8? because I love your KC-7 (Guido, yours is also tremendus), it's just that the sound on my ESL's is like fatiguing with the XO-2 after 2 hours and with the KC-7 it is not!
I think that both of you build tremendus klocks and I urge Guido to make a DIY vertion of his XO-2 disregard the waranty, the DIY'er does not mind that much if he or she has to build a new one or repair the old one.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.