Philips CD650

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I bought a CD650 for 40 Euros.:eek:
At the store, even with a lens cleaning CD, it accepted 1 out of 10 CDs.
That was a risk, but I bought it.
Arrived home, took off the lid and applied the best method to clean a laser lens: a cotton bud with a little salive.:devily:
Beautiful, it plays everything now (I tested 80 min. CDRs).
I love these old CDM transports.
What's more, by looking at it, it seams the player was never opened, it's really in mint condition.
I would like to have the schematic, I'm sure there's someone who can send it to me.
I'd be very grateful.
I'm thinking also in trying the LC-Audio clock I have on my Yamaha, but unfortunately it's 16.x MHZ, and the CD650 is 11.x MHZ.
Is there a way to use it?

Oh, BTW, the user manual, on the specs page, says it has 2 dacs, but I can only see one TDA1541... :scratch:
Am I missing something?

People are into high resolution formats these days and I'm buying 16bit/4x oversampling CD players from the mid 80s...
Nurse!:devily:

I have the schematics, will mail them when i log in at home (sometimes). Have/had (see other posts) a 650 myself.

Pro: some room can be created by removing the "additional filter" pcb. You need to rebuild the display PS on a small pcb. Easy modifications, i2s easy accessable. Good transport in my experience, plays all always.

Con: old version of SAA/TDA chipset, replace the DAC with 'A' version or replace by something else (1543)! CDM2 transport, hard to find. There are CDM4 replacements but also hard to find. But possible, do a search on this forum!

CRAP build: plastic, remove cover and lift a corner.... CRAP soldering, this might give failures (the SMD soldering on my one is messy). Crap connectors between pcb's, i had a failure with a bad contact. Schematics do not much reallity !!! So be aware with what i am going to sent is not the truth (connections/comp values).

I was bidding on one and my final offer was 27.5 Euro. Would not have gone higher, newer stuff with newer chipset / cdm4 is more interesting.

Just my opinion,

GuidoB

GuidoB

Guido,
Thanks for the repply and in advance for the schematics.
Philips is a known "friendly" brand for the repair technicians: I'd say that 70% of the problems are caused by bad solder joints.:clown:
And I'm including TV sets here.
So it doesn't surprize me what you say.
When I put my hands on it (no time yet, other things to finish first), I'll resolder the joints as much as I can.
Yes I saw your thread, it seams that you have a dead processor.
I hope you can find another cheap 650 to solve your problem.

Bricolo, I think that Guido was talking about the SAA7210/7220.

Anyway, something tells me the TDA1541 is one of the very best dacs for 16 bit CD, when well implemented.
Or else Marantz wouldn't have used it on their flagship and very limited edition CD7.

[i [/i]
I'm thinking also in trying the LC-Audio clock I have on my Yamaha, but unfortunately it's 16.x MHZ, and the CD650 is 11.x MHZ.
Is there a way to use it?

In my experience the answer is yes; I have a 45Mhz LC-Audio clock at 45Mhz-sony freq- and made an experiment with a 27Mhz crystal from a DVD player.I mean that I have replaced the LC 45Mhz crystal with the 27Mhz from the DVD player and it works fine .... ;)

In fact of music LC-Audio is not my personal preference though.

:cool:

Re: Re: Philips CD650

stefanobilliani said:

In my experience the answer is yes; I have a 45Mhz LC-Audio clock at 45Mhz-sony freq- and made an experiment with a 27Mhz crystal from a DVD player.I mean that I have replaced the LC 45Mhz crystal with the 27Mhz from the DVD player and it works fine .... ;)
In fact of music LC-Audio is not my personal preference though.

You replaced a 5PPM precision crystal of the LC board by a cheap and nasty one.:eek:
What I meant is if I can use the 16.xMHZ clock on the CD650.
I suppose that ther 1541 can work at 16MHZ.
Do I need to do any mod?

Re: Re: Re: Philips CD650

carlosfm said:

You replaced a 5PPM precision crystal of the LC board by a cheap and nasty one.:eek:
What I meant is if I can use the 16.xMHZ clock on the CD650.
I suppose that ther 1541 can work at 16MHZ.
Do I need to do any mod?

No you can't . Becouse the effect will be like play an 33 LP at 45 ,
or a sort of:rolleyes:

In my taste is not the 5PPM Chrystal that make the difference

Yes,

i was talking about:

SAA7210 newer version: SAA7210A
SAA7220A newer version: SAA7220B
TDA1541 newer version: TDA1541A

Could be your SAA7210 is a M48... whatever, see the other 650 puzzle thread. Seems the 7220 is the garbage transmitter. If you go for non-oversampling with DAC in the player: through it out.
There should be enough room for a 1543 dac!

Replacing the 11.x MHz xtal with something better is something else than overclocking with >40MHz !! For replacing, use the GTent or Kwak clock at 11.x Mhz.

There are newer cd players: e.g. CD72 versions from Marantz:
copper shielding, better build quality, cdm4, SAA7310 decoder, mmm yummie. But $$$$...

Greetings,
Guido

guido said:
Yes,

i was talking about:

SAA7210 newer version: SAA7210A
SAA7220A newer version: SAA7220B
TDA1541 newer version: TDA1541A

Could be your SAA7210 is a M48... whatever, see the other 650 puzzle thread. Seems the 7220 is the garbage transmitter. If you go for non-oversampling with DAC in the player: through it out.
There should be enough room for a 1543 dac!

Replacing the 11.x MHz xtal with something better is something else than overclocking with >40MHz !! For replacing, use the GTent or Kwak clock at 11.x Mhz.

copper shielding, better build quality, cdm4, SAA7310 decoder, mmm yummie. But $$$$...

Greetings,
Guido

Guido,

I bought a second hand Marantz CD62. I'm waiting for it to arrive (damned french postal service...)
Do you know this model? Does it uses the 7310 and new parts? Same build quality as the CD72?

Thanks
Alex

guido said:

Greetings,
Guido

Yes, it happens that on one of my systems I also have a Marantz CD52 SE that has the SAA7310 decoder, the SAA7350 dac (Bitstream) and CDM 4 transport.
Beautiful.
And it's not $$$$.:D
It's extensively tweaked by me, and plays veeeery well.
But this time I whanted to try the classic 16x4, as some people claim it's much better than Bitstream.

carlosfm said:

Yes, it happens that on one of my systems I also have a Marantz CD52 SE that has the SAA7310 decoder, the SAA7350 dac (Bitstream) and CDM 4 transport.
Beautiful.
And it's not $$$$.:D
It's extensively tweaked by me, and plays veeeery well.
But this time I whanted to try the classic 16x4, as some people claim it's much better than Bitstream.

why not simply tweaking further and change the dac?

Think they (CD-x2) are all CDM4 SAA7310 and SAA7350. Difference in buildquality, features, better/more powersupplies and better components.

SE versions (52,72) have copper plated chassis and better components (cerafine,black gate, silmic, opamps) then usual.

72 mk2 is something else: TDA1547 DAC + HDAM's, mk2 SE has copper etc again.

More exotic: CD11LE CDM15,CDM16: CDM4, TDA1547 and HDAM.
CD10 is CDM4 & TDA1547, no HDAM
CD17 then has CDM12.3 with DAC7 & HDAM

Am i the only one keeping those old prospects?

Another 650 pro: the front is easily removed for better access.
You need to do this anyway to slide the main pcb out.

Picture with mainpcb with processor pcb on the left, my dac on the right with the display PS above on the small pcb.

GuidoB

Attachments

• 376j0024.jpg
    376j0024.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,816
guido said:
Think they (CD-x2) are all CDM4 SAA7310 and SAA7350. Difference in buildquality, features, better/more powersupplies and better components.

SE versions (52,72) have copper plated chassis and better components (cerafine,black gate, silmic, opamps) then usual.

72 mk2 is something else: TDA1547 DAC + HDAM's, mk2 SE has copper etc again.
GuidoB

Even the SE versions have NE5532:dead: op-amps.
Oh, BTW, even the CD17.
Anyway, the TDA1547 is the famous "DAC7", another league.
My CD52 SE has LM6172, the NEs didn't last long there.;)

Bricolo, these chips are all SMD.:bawling:
Does anyone know the old CD12 Transport/Dac?
Beautiful.:nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.