Krell Studio DA tweaking ADVICE ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI Everybody,
i just bought a Krell studio DA converter
I am REALLY surprised how good it sounds.i have tried MANY--MANY unit and this one really is surprising to me.

Few things i want to ask :

1-Can someone decribe what technologie is used ?
2-Does someone have the schematics ?
3-I would like to "clean" the unit . i mean by that can i would like to upgrade/clean the cap .
4- Can someome help me with what could be uprgaded ?
5- Is there any possibility to uprde the unit ? if yes how ?
6- By Upgrading i mean the high "seems " a bit dry ….a bit i mean….dry caps?
7- is there a way to try another output stage ?
8- and ….finally if anyone has info reagarding the reference64 model compare to this one i would be more than happy to hear story or tech things about it.

the low end of the unit is fantastic.the top is a "little"bit dry.now if by a better power supply or caps or other thing ...or even different chip i could do improvement starting with that base...

thanks for all your advice !!

Phil

Attachments

• Krell.jpg
    Krell.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 549
Hello,

This Krell DAC is a complex machine, I have some experiences with Wadia X32 and X64.

The first point is the input circuit which may have one or more slow logic gates ( HCU).
See the doc on
TVC Audio- Audio Numeric Performance

The second point is the VCXO that is very important but very more complex to change.

TVC Audio- Wadia X64

You must do the jitter measures on the two part before the modifications and redo the measures after .

Rémi

Hello,

This Krell DAC is a complex machine, I have some experiences with Wadia X32 and X64.

The first point is the input circuit which may have one or more slow logic gates ( HCU).
See the doc on
TVC Audio- Audio Numeric Performance

The second point is the VCXO that is very important but very more complex to change.

TVC Audio- Wadia X64

You must do the jitter measures on the two part before the modifications and redo the measures after .

Rémi

HI Everybody,
i just bought a Krell studio DA converter
I am REALLY surprised how good it sounds.i have tried MANY--MANY unit and this one really is surprising to me.

Few things i want to ask :

1-Can someone decribe what technologie is used ?
2-Does someone have the schematics ?
3-I would like to "clean" the unit . i mean by that can i would like to upgrade/clean the cap .
4- Can someome help me with what could be uprgaded ?
5- Is there any possibility to uprde the unit ? if yes how ?
6- By Upgrading i mean the high "seems " a bit dry ….a bit i mean….dry caps?
7- is there a way to try another output stage ?
8- and ….finally if anyone has info reagarding the reference64 model compare to this one i would be more than happy to hear story or tech things about it.

the low end of the unit is fantastic.the top is a "little"bit dry.now if by a better power supply or caps or other thing ...or even different chip i could do improvement starting with that base...

thanks for all your advice !!

Phil

Very important is the replacing of the red caps (ROE) on the PCB for power supply/voltage regulation (left hand of the attached pic).

here additional URLs of this device:
Krell Studio DAC ! - ¶ú»úÒôÏìÑÐÌÖ»á - ¶ú»ú¾ãÀÖ²¿ÂÛ̳ ¶ú»ú,¶úÈû,¶ú·Å,¶ú»úÂÛ̳,ÒôÀÖ,ÒôÏì - ¶ú»ú¾ãÀÖ²¿
ÍËÉÕ³ö KRELL STUDIO DAC ¶ú»ú´ó¼Ò̳ È«Çò×î´óÖÐÎĶú»úÂÛ̳

I want also to have a schematic.

I have kreel studio also, I have a problem with my DAC. which can not lock. I try to replace him but VCXO frequency is 3400 MHz weird. hard to be right. friend said that this jitter problem. but I've unsolder jitter but with the Krell in the cast. circuit can not be viewed. complex digital PCB pathway consists of three lines, really complicated .......
I want to fix it because it couples with the cd transport Krell MD-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.