Need part # for 30-pin connector part inside Logitech Transporter on front panel PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've had a problem with a modification to my Transporter where an upgraded transformer came loose in shipping and broke one of the 30 pin connectors on the front PCB behind the display and damaged the ribbon cable. I was able to get new 8" ribbon cables from Molex as part of a sample request, but the connectors I have ordered are the wrong ones and these parts are apparently very hard to locate. I'm pretty sure the pitch is 0.5mm, but this new connector (Molex part # 52559-3052) isn't seating properly in place of the old one. So if anyone can tell me the proper part # for the 30 pin SMD connector on the front PCB (which is also the same one as on the main PCB board) I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks so much -
Phil

Hi Gootee,

Here's a picture of the unbroken one. I have looked through all of the parts and I thought this one was the correct one, but apparently the pitch is slightly off but the other nearest ones are 1mm which are twice the size. I think the connector Logitech used may now be discontinued, I'm not sure. The problem is they only show rough drawings on Mouser and Digikey, as well as Molex, and the PDF/CAD files aren't showing me what I need to know apparently.

The connector must be a Molex one because it mates with their FFC/FPC ribbon cables.

I believe the only way someone will know this part number is if they have actually ordered one in the past and used it for this purpose, or were able to get one from Logitech and/or work for Logitech.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This might sound like a bodge but it works unless your connector is too damaged of course. This connector is a very common part to break even when just unclipping it.

Push the ribbon cable into the socket and wedge it with some thin plastic. Test the unit to make sure the display etc works perfectly. If not try re-seating the cable. Once you are happy with it hot glue the connector so that it can't pop out.

Brent

Hi rowemeister,

Yes, that was something we were thinking about but the connector was pretty badly mangled so it's been removed. With all the bad luck I've had with audio equipment in the past year and a half I just didn't think we should chance it.

And like you mentioned, the connector is a common part to break because it's cheap garbage. It's rated at 20 maximum mating cycles, and the cables also have a way of coming unseated on their own without any help from you whatsoever. Slim Devices should have used something much better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.