Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

replacing 47mf for 33mf caps...good idea
replacing 47mf for 33mf caps...good idea
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2011, 06:02 PM   #1
grahamfocal is offline grahamfocal  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default replacing 47mf for 33mf caps...good idea

I do appreciate that changing capacitor values is not really the best idea.
I have a new CD player (well second hand over 10 years old) and a load of Slilmic IIs, trouble is that there are a lot of 47mf 25volts in the CD player, but I only have 33mf 25volts.
Will it hurt? basically, or is it best to make sure I buy the correct ones.

Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 06:13 PM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

I haven't done such mods , but I see that commonly used values can be in the order of a magnitude less
Old 26th April 2011, 06:17 PM   #3
marcelnl is offline marcelnl  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

don't worry too much, although going up in capacitance would be better the improvement will probably still be noticeable ...
Old 26th April 2011, 06:51 PM   #4
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As you may have read, some caps are sensitive to value.
I'm thinking in the servo section of players with the Philips cdm1/2/4

Remember, do mods one at a time. Then you know where to look if it stops working.

Andy

Old 26th April 2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

If you had an esr tester you'd know if the new parts were better or worse than the old ones. As is there's no way of telling if you're accomplishing anything. Just being old doesn't mean they're bad in any way. OTOH, if they're substandard after a year, they need to be replaced.
Old 26th April 2011, 07:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poynton View Post
As you may have read, some caps are sensitive to value.
I'm thinking in the servo section of players with the Philips cdm1/2/4

Remember, do mods one at a time. Then you know where to look if it stops working.

Andy

yea as you probably remember, you helped me a lot on my Orelle CD100 along with Mooly this does indeed have a CDM4-19. I have upgraded the OPAMPS already, with a good outcome (the musical FID CD1 even had the chip holders already installed) had the whole payer apart to count and note the caps. Lots of 47s, so might just (as I am no expert) get the correct ones, the 33s will probably come in handy. Thanks all.
Old 27th April 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

It depends on what the capacitor is doing. If you're talking about the 47uF capacitors that many manufacturers used as local decoupling for every IC, then yes, no problem, anything between about 22 and 220uF will do the job. However, in some rare circumstances it may cause a problem. It's unlikely though, electrolytic capacitors are very poorly toleranced, so are generally not used in a situation where capacitance value is so critical that a 47uF unit would work yet a 33uF unit would not.

Last edited by amc184; 27th April 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 27th April 2011, 12:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc184 View Post
It depends on what the capacitor is doing. If you're talking about the 47uF capacitors that many manufacturers used as local decoupling for every IC, then yes, no problem, anything between about 22 and 220uF will do the job. However, in some rare circumstances it may cause a problem. It's unlikely though, electrolytic capacitors are very poorly toleranced, so are generally not used in a situation where capacitance value is so critical that a 47uF unit would work yet a 33uF unit would not.
Many thanks for that.
Old 27th April 2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Fidelity Audio is offline Fidelity Audio  England
diyAudio Member

I usually find going up one or two levels of uF in capacitance helps with bass weight and smoothness. Going lower with the uF can tend to lean out the sound pushing it a little towards upper mid dominance aka Naim etc. Too high a uF can make the bass over bloated and ploddy.

Again this all depends what voltage rails you are swapping capacitors on, generally digital circuit rails prefer larger uF capacitors where analogue rails can tend to get away with lower uF.

Not counting ESR and ripple there are lots of ifs and buts.

Brent

replacing 47mf for 33mf caps...good ideaHide this!Advertise here!